Xcel Energy HQ - 401 Nicollet

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Xcel Energy HQ - (401 Nicollet Mall)

Postby Wedgeguy » April 10th, 2014, 2:32 pm

I'd agree with those two.... are they the only other two garages where the sidewalk slips in behind the ramps?

The Midwest Plaza (8th St Grill) above ground podium garage can also be accessed off Marquette. The exit is (IIRC IMHO Obv) a helix to the main level with an exit onto Marquette shared by the the underground contract parking. These entrances all conflict with the southbound bus lanes on Marquette. But I wonder if it would be possible to simply remove the access on 8th St.

Northstar on the other hand.... that entire 2/3 block podium, the Crowne Plaza hotel above on 2nd and the 11-floor Northstar Center above on Marquette.... prime redevelopment opportunity. There's very little redeeming about it on the inside as well, with the weird escalator situation to the food court and the skyway disconnect. It could be redeveloped with a wonderful open atrium for street & skyway level. Something like a one-tower version of US Bank Plaza would be a winner. Along with sidewalk improvements, activation of the Park/Star Tribune facade and eventual redevelopment of the Thrivent lots, this could make 7th St S a premiere east-west pedestrian corridor.
Centre Village has sidewalks that are stuck away from the street. But I think that one is only for an exit ramp that goes to Portland.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 10th, 2014, 4:02 pm

CentreVillage would be much more tolerable if the "US Bank Autobank" space was converted into a storefront, and the lower level parking egress was either routed to the primary parking egress along 8th, or behind the sidewalk and west onto 7th.

Interestingly enough, there's a street-level storefront on the 8th St corner - it's a bail bond office. Seems like bail bond offices like to locate in parking ramps. It's also telling that there's not a bail bond office in the Skyway. :roll:

Maybe it's time to siphon this discussion over into the Downtown Parking thread?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 12th, 2014, 4:17 pm

The ramp is coming down!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 12th, 2014, 4:58 pm

I talked to some folks while I was at the Nic on Fifth site earlier this week, and this is going to come down real slowly. Something about crushing the concrete on site to be recycled?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 12th, 2014, 5:30 pm

Concrete crushing is horrendously loud. Sorry Soo Line residents!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 12th, 2014, 8:52 pm

Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » April 13th, 2014, 12:41 pm

Woohoo! Where is the champagne?

Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 13th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Welp there goes our tailgate opportunity....

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » April 13th, 2014, 1:34 pm

WOOOO

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 13th, 2014, 1:47 pm

yesssssss!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 13th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Welp there goes our tailgate opportunity....
Yeah. I really wasn't expecting this until summer.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » April 13th, 2014, 3:18 pm

It's a shame that this didn't make it on the NRHP. The poop-colored concrete really brought a sense of vibrancy to the neighborhood.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 13th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Maybe they need to make room for two cranes *crosses fingers* sooner than later...

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » April 13th, 2014, 8:26 pm

This was right after I was there with one of my boys. We spent some time watching this turd come down. A couple of people there thought it was going to just be a surface parking lot. I was happy to explain what was really going on. :)

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » April 13th, 2014, 8:43 pm

I was never sure how they were going to take it down after the 4 Marq was started… plus the new Xcel building and 4 Marq will have basement walls that touch each other… likely that they will have to be built in tandem. That could explain the delay in the start of 4 Marq.

froggie
Rice Park

Postby froggie » April 14th, 2014, 5:18 am

This project explains why that ramp was sitting empty 2 weeks ago when I was back in town.

I know a lot of forumers here are glad to see it go, but I'd like to point out that the ramp going away meant that every parking ramp/garage within a 4 block radius of the downtown library was full the day I checked. Made it very difficult for someone driving in who wanted to spend more than 2 hours at the library (so no on-street parking).

I gave up that day. Oddly enough, I wound up getting there a few days later by parking at the U (West Bank), getting a Go-To card (since I'd left my old one back in Norfolk), and hopping the 50 or 16 (one of each) to/from downtown. Probably wound up being cheaper since it only cost me $4 to park at the U.

As a side note, looked like a new parking ramp was being built on the Marquette side of that block?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 14th, 2014, 6:15 am

I'm afraid not. The 5th St side of that block is the Nic on 5th, and the 4th and Marquette corner is going to be the 4Marq building. They'll both have parking podiums, but I don't believe either will have public parking.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » April 14th, 2014, 6:34 am

I think he's talking about the east side of Nic, in which case you are correct Froggie.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 14th, 2014, 9:43 am

As much as we hate this ramp, I just want to note that it actually has sidewalk-fronting retail. Back when I worked at Xcel, it was a Walgreen's. Yet newer ramps from the "skyway era" may have better aesthetics but are turds from the sidewalk perspective...
Leamington Ramp, Government Center Ramps, Orchestra Hall Ramp, ABC Ramps, etc. Even if these ramps were ugly and bad sidewalk neighbors, they were at least built before the era where we totally dismissed the concept of human beings walking along sidewalks.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 14th, 2014, 9:45 am

On the other hand, that retail space had been abandoned for a looong time, and about all it looked good for was a nice place to go and be stabbed.

Kind of impressive from the picture how resilient the ramp is.