Xcel Energy HQ - 401 Nicollet

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Lancestar2

Re: Xcel Energy HQ - (401 Nicollet Mall)

Postby Lancestar2 » April 3rd, 2015, 4:55 pm

Skyway update: The 401 Nicollet skyway will run along the Nicollet Mall face of the building from the Nic on 5th connection to the Ritz block connection, basically like the way it's set up in Retek, though without skyway level retail. There will be a public skyway access point from the lobby next to the Nic on 5th skyway. The skyway across Nicollet will be totally private, with a card reader door at the 401 end. I'm not surprised, really, but also not terribly impressed.
What type of accessibility would this access point include? Would it allow for people to enter and exit the skyway or just exit the skyway? I never entered the skyway from a residential tower before so I'm not sure how willing they would be to allow just anyone to access the skyway through there building but if so that would be extremely encouraging to see! Also any details on the general timeline of the Ritz and Nicollet block? Is it just me or does the Ritz block seem a bit behind schedule or do both projects schedules line up? Finally the skyway to and from the Central Library is that going to be city funded? Is there existing funds that were set aside for this project yet or could that somehow be derailed? Just curious, thanks :) for the update!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 3rd, 2015, 5:43 pm

Not 100% sure, but I believe it'll be entry and exit, through the public part of the Xcel lobby. I doubt it'll really be an obvious connection, though, more like 6 Quebec or Northstar than USBank or even the Nic on 5th.

This was an Xcel presentation about the new building, so I didn't get any information about the Ritz block beyond that it's still planned to have a skyway connection to Xcel and to the Library.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » April 3rd, 2015, 6:11 pm

Not 100% sure, but I believe it'll be entry and exit, through the public part of the Xcel lobby. I doubt it'll really be an obvious connection, though, more like 6 Quebec or Northstar than USBank or even the Nic on 5th.

This was an Xcel presentation about the new building, so I didn't get any information about the Ritz block beyond that it's still planned to have a skyway connection to Xcel and to the Library.

Oh ok thanks for the update. Glad to hear the plan has not changed, and a nice tidbit about that S2S access point! Even if the timelines are a bit off they couldn't be more than a year or so difference. Any mention on any skyway retail space or at least "storage" space in the new Xcel Energy building or is it mostly just a narrow corridor?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 3rd, 2015, 7:04 pm

I'd guess that the skyway will front the mall windows with a 6 foot wide hall with a stairs/escalators and elevator which would only run between the ground and skyway, being located on the opposite side to the exterior wall. I'd say that the Century Link building skyway facing the 150 towers would be a good example, but without the retail.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 3rd, 2015, 7:17 pm

Wedgeguy is exactly right. Unfortunately.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 26th, 2015, 9:13 pm

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 6th, 2015, 6:40 pm

It's been a big couple weeks for skyways.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 7th, 2015, 9:38 am

Another perfectly good vista ruined by a skyway. eggh
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » June 7th, 2015, 10:29 am

Nice to see the system expanding, even if this one is private.

web

Postby web » June 7th, 2015, 11:32 am

:roll:
Another perfectly good vista ruined by a skyway. eggh

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » June 10th, 2015, 1:48 pm

They started putting up the facade. It looks...dull.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 10th, 2015, 4:26 pm

It does, but at the same time, it's a parking entrance. I can't really think of any buildings where the parking entrance is attractive.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 18th, 2015, 10:24 pm

Looks like Xcel as found a way to keep things under control. Lots of cameras and they are now playing very loudly bad elevator music that would make even me not want to hang in the area any longer than I needed to!!

What up with the mismatched skyway level on the new building. Can't wait to see how that make that grade change work!!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 26th, 2015, 12:09 pm

Workers have opened up the skyway connection hole in the Nic on Fifth. Looks like that skyway will be going up soon.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 29th, 2015, 11:36 am

The skyway is going up today. I'll grab a picture on the way home from work.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 29th, 2015, 8:20 pm

I'm no architect, but it seems like it would have been reasonable to make the second floor height of this building match the second floor height of the neighboring building being designed at the same time.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 29th, 2015, 9:09 pm

There are 2 issues to look at. Nicollet runs down hill going north. Even if they were the same floor height they would be off due to the downhill slope. That extra foot or two of steel that would be needed to get them level has a price in materials alone. Instead of standard height steel beams, you might be looking at custom made beams that would have added additional cost to the project. There might be other reason too, but those came to mind for me.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 29th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Yeah, there's sort of a minimum acceptable height for retail space, so that dictates the ground floors of both buildings. You're just not going to make one of the floors a couple of feet higher so the levels time out -- that's another two feet of exterior cladding and structure all of the way around the building. And then the second floor of Nic on 5th is just parking and skyway, so it's got a very short floor-to-floor height, where as the Xcel has a standard commercial floor height.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » June 29th, 2015, 9:41 pm

Some things never change... The skyway from the second floor of Powers would take you to what was actually the "third floor" of McDonalds and you needed to go down a set of stairs to get to the second floor seating area.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 30th, 2015, 7:33 am

Yeah, there's sort of a minimum acceptable height for retail space, so that dictates the ground floors of both buildings. You're just not going to make one of the floors a couple of feet higher so the levels time out -- that's another two feet of exterior cladding and structure all of the way around the building. And then the second floor of Nic on 5th is just parking and skyway, so it's got a very short floor-to-floor height, where as the Xcel has a standard commercial floor height.
This.