Xcel Energy HQ - 401 Nicollet

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Xcel Energy HQ - (401 Nicollet Mall)

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 30th, 2015, 7:35 am

What about a linear crossing and then steps up or down to the level of the other building? Or is that bad because of ADA codes?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 30th, 2015, 8:08 am

I'm sure there will be ramps that deal with the change of level. The aspect ratio of the incline will not be that great. You can already see that with the brace on the underside of the skyway. Will not be any worse than other sloping skyways floors.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 30th, 2015, 6:40 pm

DAMN, ANOTHER CONCRETE PANEL BUILDING WITH ORAGNE AND TAN COLORS. This may not be hideous, but it is going to look cheap as ever. Thank you Opus for another turd on the mall!!

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » June 30th, 2015, 10:04 pm

I'm no architect, but it seems like it would have been reasonable to make the second floor height of this building match the second floor height of the neighboring building being designed at the same time.

Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that by the time the skyway is completed the molding will cover up most of the height difference and it won't be that noticeable... Well besides for the homeless people searching for cans in the alley, they may notice the flaw and be VERY vocal about the defect.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 30th, 2015, 10:08 pm

1 weird thing about this block: the huge alleys! There's a ton of dead space between Nic on 5th and the other two buildings, in particular 4Marq. Like you could build a small building in the spot and it wouldn't even look that silly.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 30th, 2015, 10:18 pm

Could Java take a leaf out of Duval's theoretical book and build their 420 Hennepin building here?

I originally scoffed at the Nic on 5th's Now Leasing banner that was going to be covered by 4Marq, but with an alley this wide, it makes sense.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 30th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Breathing room, no? Wouldn't people be complaining if they were any closer?

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 1st, 2015, 8:03 am

Yeah, I know we have discussed before...but I really dislike the wide alley. Hopefully that skyway will mask it a bit. Be nice if the Nic would get some ivy to grow down the side of that giant blank wall or something. Oh well.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 1st, 2015, 8:08 am

Breathing room, no? Wouldn't people be complaining if they were any closer?
Maybe, but I doubt it. People are usually pretty cool with uninterrupted street walls.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » July 10th, 2015, 7:35 am

Now that the facade is going up, I'm seeing that they're going for the "Deli Meat Combo Platter" color scheme with the two buildings. Chicken, Pastrami, Honey Roasted Turkey, etc. Speaking of the pastrami/reddish panels on the new building, are they supposed to look patchy and faded? It's like they've been through 15 winters already. Or maybe they'll put some more cement board dye on them to even it out and saturate the color more?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 10th, 2015, 3:42 pm

Now that the facade is going up, I'm seeing that they're going for the "Deli Meat Combo Platter" color scheme with the two buildings. Chicken, Pastrami, Honey Roasted Turkey, etc. Speaking of the pastrami/reddish panels on the new building, are they supposed to look patchy and faded? It's like they've been through 15 winters already. Or maybe they'll put some more cement board dye on them to even it out and saturate the color more?
I think they will power clean the precast when the exterior is more completed. There are also some pretty big nicks in the precast ( same issue over at Well Fargo in DTE). I would assume they would both clean and patch up the panels at some point, but maybe not . In this day in age, pride and craftsmanship in building is becoming a quaint concept from a bygone era :|

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 16th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Seem to have more intention of getting the back portion of the building done before they worry about 4th street façade. At this point I can only roll my eyes as to the (insert your own 4 letter word) for this building. Will hope that when the windows are added that it makes a very big difference.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 30th, 2015, 11:45 pm

Word on the street (by which I mean, from Xcel's project manager for the new building) is that the reddish panels are supposed to eventually fade to approximately the same color brown as the brick on 414 Nicollet. We'll see, I guess.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » July 31st, 2015, 9:22 am

Word on the street (by which I mean, from Xcel's project manager for the new building) is that the reddish panels are supposed to eventually fade to approximately the same color brown as the brick on 414 Nicollet. We'll see, I guess.
Interesting. First the zinc panels on the People's Stadium and now this. I guess I missed the Fading Panel Trend Memo.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » July 31st, 2015, 11:38 am

Interesting. First the zinc panels on the People's Stadium and now this. I guess I missed the Fading Panel Trend Memo.
Geez, yeah - when I read this, it just sounds like everything is going to look worn and drab. This doesn't read "patina" to me (like copper), it reads "faded and blah." :?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Xcel Energy HQ - 401 Nicollet

Postby grant1simons2 » August 26th, 2015, 8:33 pm

ImageDSC_1274 by grant.simons, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1273 by grant.simons, on Flickr

sanguinic
Metrodome

Postby sanguinic » August 26th, 2015, 8:58 pm

That precast concrete could not look any more dreary and low-budget. What a disappointment.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 26th, 2015, 9:00 pm

This forum could not be more full of sass today. What a.. Oh wait that's totally normal.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » August 26th, 2015, 10:47 pm

Is this building better than the massive and hideous parking ramp that was there before? Yes. Is this building ugly and does it show how cheap developers, architects, and for that matter customers are willing to go to build a building? Yes. Sanguinics comment can be read as very genuine. "This building is ugly, and that is disappointing".

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 26th, 2015, 11:02 pm

Okay but all day it has been complaints. I really challenge people to say something positive.

Like this: The ground floor windows are nice and tall and have a good green tint to it that will be nice if ever re-purposed for retail. We've already heard the quotes "the pre-cast sucks" and "what a disappointment".