Xcel Energy HQ - 401 Nicollet

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Xcel Energy HQ - (401 Nicollet Mall)

Postby mnmike » August 29th, 2012, 4:27 pm

I don't really see a downtown retail thread in here yet...but speaking of retail, it looks like another one has bitten the dust today. Looks like Godiva in IDS has closed.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 21st, 2013, 12:07 pm

There's an article on this this month in Xcel's internal newsmagazine. Great news: they've decided to go for it with the skyway connections!
The new building will connect to the "Nic on Fifth" building now under construction, and 414 Nicollet and future development across 4th Street.
I said upthread that I didn't really expect the skyway over Nicollet to be public access, but now I'm hopeful, if they're making a public pathway through the building anyway. Maybe they'll go big and connect over to 400 Marquette as well.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 21st, 2013, 12:22 pm

That is good news, and I understand that a lot of people think that the skyways kill our street life, but it has also helped keep our business district compact, and really is more comfortable for those working living and schooling in DT. It would be nice to have some shops with windows on the street and stairs/elevator when you come in to their second level shop. a lot of cost and space I know, but probably worth it. It would be great if the skyway could finally reach the library.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » March 21st, 2013, 4:22 pm

the problem with the skyway system has always been there is no uniformity. privately owned with various hours. the way finding system is also haphazard but has gotten better of late.

happy to hear more news about the xcel hq.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 21st, 2013, 4:45 pm

I agree with the fact that it should be more of a public entity. More uniform. That would be nice. No means of transport is perfect though, so it's good to have the option of climate control in March when it's supposed to be 35 but it's 4 ;)

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 21st, 2013, 5:36 pm

Agreed. I just got back from a few days in Chicago, and on Tuesday, when I was wandering around downtown in the 15 degrees and the 40 mph winds, I would have killed for a skyway system. Disjointed or otherwise.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Garrett
Block E

Postby Garrett » March 22nd, 2013, 8:26 am

There's an article on this this month in Xcel's internal newsmagazine. Great news: they've decided to go for it with the skyway connections!
The new building will connect to the "Nic on Fifth" building now under construction, and 414 Nicollet and future development across 4th Street.
I said upthread that I didn't really expect the skyway over Nicollet to be public access, but now I'm hopeful, if they're making a public pathway through the building anyway. Maybe they'll go big and connect over to 400 Marquette as well.
I doubt the skyway over Nicollet will be public. Xcel can't move out of 414, but wants a campus feel with all employees connected, so a second building with a skyway connection is the next best thing.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 22nd, 2013, 8:34 am

I think the idea is that the sky way connects Nic on 5th from 5th st towers, takes a right to the new residential tower proposed, and across 4th to new development. It would also continue further through the nic on 5th and give access to xcel, but probably private.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 22nd, 2013, 8:42 am

RE: skyways (going back a few posts) The skyways themselves not the problem--the problem is that the retail moved up to the 2nd floor and therefore has limited access and limited hours. If retail had remained mostly concentrated on the ground level and the skyways were public infrastructure simply for moving bodies, I think there would be far less animosity toward them. /off-topic

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 22nd, 2013, 7:02 pm

Since I was at 414 Nicollet today, I looked at the way the building's laid out, and I actually believe that the intra-Xcel skyway will be on the level of the third floor, since a second-floor skyway would connect oddly to the mezzanine level of 414 Nicollet. This also means that it'll presumably be private. As for the skyway connections to the Nic on Fifth and across 4th, the article I mentioned above really made it seem, to me at least, that those will be a public connection through the Xcel building, though probably not one with storefronts inside.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 22nd, 2013, 8:40 pm

A store staying open in a skyway or a street front is part of, when do their customer count die off. IT will be up to entrepreneurs to as to what times they will want to stay open or closed. One thing that I'm hoping is better formulated in all future building that skyways will be a part of, is a clear entrance to and from the street level.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 25th, 2013, 11:02 pm

Was just in Duluth and I was amazed at the accessablity of the street to skyway connections in their city. A few narrow minded council people really need to go see how a real skyway system is developed.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 25th, 2013, 11:32 pm

I do believe I saw this one coming- http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 34911.html
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » July 26th, 2013, 5:02 am

So that parking ramp would stay intact if Xcel backs out?

Seems like a bad week for developments in Minneapolis.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 26th, 2013, 8:05 am

well give it a couple hours and we'll have another meeting for them to show off their ineptitude. hey, let's piss off this company that wants to grow and invest in your barren north nicollet mall. pay taxes and grow jobs, that kind of stuff..nah? you'd rather have the surface parking? cool.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 26th, 2013, 10:26 am

This city council is nothing but power hungry inept people only worried about getting re-elected and NOT what is best for the city. THis will be their downfall.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » July 26th, 2013, 10:36 am

Not everything is as simple as we want more tall buildings now. The city is inept at times, but Xcel et al run government run monopolies. There needs to be give and take in order to get some concessions from Xcel. Let the city play hardball. I'll risk one new nice midrise.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 26th, 2013, 10:58 am

It's not about the midrise, it's about the 8th largest employer in downtown. And about the stability of the city power grid. And about whether the city can afford to buy billions of dollars worth of infrastructure. But that's best saved for the new thread.

On this topic, I'm wondering if the city council abruptly blocking two of their developments in the late planning stage will have a negative effect on Opus's willingness to develop in Minneapolis? I realize neither of them are for sure yet, and that this one isn't a direct block, but it has the same effect.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 26th, 2013, 11:04 am

Opus and the City have tangled before (see the condemnation fight over the downtown Target Store and to a lesser extent, the St. Thomas downtown projects). My read is that they are uneasy bedfellows who really don't like each other but need each other.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » July 26th, 2013, 11:37 am

I noticed my Freudian slip up top. I meant government mandated monopoly. If you think these utilities should get carte blanche then fine. I'd like them get to pushed to make bigger strides in clean energy. If power generation was somehow a free market endeavor we wouldn't have to cow tow to Xcel. I don't think the city should take the utility over, but this is a means to hold a stronger hand in negotiations.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]