The Paxon - (324 First Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: Former Reserve Site - (324 First Street North)

Postby MNdible » March 19th, 2013, 12:00 pm

Apparently, this building will be set back slightly from the property line because they're using the old foundation walls in lieu of sheet piling while building the new foundations. An interesting wrinkle.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 19th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Are they still planning on tearing out the already built underground parking and doing it over? I seem to recall Sherman mentioning that when we first heard he acquired the site a few months back. That makes no sense to me...why can't they use the existing foundation? It was supposed to support an 8-story building. Am I missing something here?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 19th, 2013, 2:08 pm

And no Retail? This is a great corner...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 19th, 2013, 2:36 pm

I'm usually the last person to beat the drum of "need moar retail", but I agree with you in this case. The corner of 1st St and 4th Av N serves as a "gateway" of sorts to the upper stretch of 1st St, as well as to the lower-density River Landing condo/TH developments to the north/east. The building kitty corner from here (Heritage) has a few spaces, including a corner convenience store and Toast Wine Bar & Cafe. It may even have a dry cleaners according to Google Streetview. That's a pretty ideal set of neighborhood places, but I'd think there's room for more with the area filling in. That said, all one has to do is cross the over the RR trench and there is abundant commercial activity on 3rd Ave N, Washington, etc. While the North Loop proper is getting filled in pretty nicely, the area between the RR trench and Hennepin has quite a few parking lots to develop.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 20th, 2013, 8:30 am

I've seen this parcel of land languish longer than some of you have been alive. Sherman's project is a decent looking building and will fill in one of the last gaps along First Street. They can call it whatever insipid name they want. Let this be built.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 20th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Why couldn't they just finish what that other group started? Did it wear down or something? I liked the original concept.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » March 20th, 2013, 1:52 pm

I don't know that I'd want to live in a building knowing that the rebar has been exposed to the elements for over a decade. I'm assuming there is at least some amount of degrading that has taken place.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » March 20th, 2013, 5:10 pm

^Hey, we could have had our own little "Condo of Doom."

http://tinyurl.com/b644a2o

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 20th, 2013, 5:19 pm

^Hey, we could have had our own little "Condo of Doom."

http://tinyurl.com/b644a2o
They were originally going to do a Whole Foods with five stories of apartments above, but the market crashed.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » March 20th, 2013, 6:16 pm

I don't know that I'd want to live in a building knowing that the rebar has been exposed to the elements for over a decade. I'm assuming there is at least some amount of degrading that has taken place.

Construction finally resumed at the old Waterview site, after 6 winters stalled out at 33 stories.

By the way, if anyone is looking for some interesting/unique construction techniques, checkout the photos of what's going on over there. The specially built platform cantilevering the tower crane base over Wacker Dr is particularly interesting.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 20th, 2013, 6:34 pm

What is this Waterview thing? This isn't in Minneapolis, is it?

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » March 20th, 2013, 6:56 pm

No, that's chicago. LINK?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 20th, 2013, 8:08 pm

I live across the street from this and you really don't see any damage or decay on the rebar. Although I can see why you would want to start from scratch. What's there really isn't much.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 20th, 2013, 9:48 pm

Yeah it may not look like much, but we keep hearing that each space of underground parking costs $20,000. That has to count for something. For whatever reason, I really want to know why they can't or won't use what's there.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » March 21st, 2013, 5:40 am

No, that's chicago. LINK?
Yes, originally proposed as a 93-story condo & hotel building, it languished after the developer went bankrupt. After numerous proposals over the years, mostly for office or apartments, it's finally being finished as a 59-story apartment building. Construction resumed on the 33-story hulk about 4 months ago.

The coolest thing about it is that apparently they can't put the new crane in the elevator shafts like the old one, but the building is surrounded by other structures (the streets on both sides are actually multilevel viaducts), so they've been forced to cantilever the crane base off of the side of the building. I really hope the giant crane anchors on the first two floors will be visible through the lobby windows when it's all done. Would make for a great snapshot of history.

The coolest proposal floated for the site was about a year ago from SOM. it involved a new tower on top of the base in a sharply contrasting style to the base, which I think would have acted as a giant 700 foot memorial to the housing bust of the Great Recession for all the tourists along the river.

SSP thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=185023

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 21st, 2013, 5:47 am

Google is easy ;) The Chicago Project: http://chicago.curbed.com/places/waterview-tower

It seems like the site for three24 is pretty limited, and that the lower levels couldn't possibly be that hard to cope with... but I could see for insurance purposes if a developer uses another developers foundation and something goes wrong...

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » March 21st, 2013, 6:15 am

i'm glad this is finally developing. such a great area i'd love to live anywhere in the north loop/riverfront.

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » March 26th, 2013, 11:18 pm

http://www.startribune.com/housing/200158471.html

The project is being "well accepted in the North Loop area".

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 27th, 2013, 9:28 am

Check out the comment from that liberalelite guy, referencing Sam Newberg's "Failure of Frontage". We need to get him on urbanMSP!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 27th, 2013, 12:34 pm

The article notes that they'll be demolishing 95% of the existing structure. There has been speculation that the existing structure was somehow compromised -- this would seem to confirm that, as I'm sure they'd love to reuse it if it were at all possible.