Minneapolis Skyway System

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1702
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby amiller92 » November 16th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Tiller wrote:Couldn't Minneapolis put together some sort of fund/task force to standardize the skyways and make them more useful? (increased and consistent hours, more and better street-skyway connections, ect.)
Thought that was part of the Downtown Council's jurisdiction (at least I know of a non-profit that worked with them to coordinate an event in the skyways).

I think the hours are more mostly consistent now, perhaps aside from Macy's (which of course is a hub) which isn't open after store close (even though it's open before the store in the morning).

Street connections are unfortunately a loaded topic, as certain business interests are concerned they will bring in the wrong people (which is super racist). There was a MinnPost article about what happened to the enhanced street connection that was supposed to be added as part of the Mall renovation but got dropped.

fehler
Rice Park
Posts: 437
Joined: July 30th, 2012, 8:33 am

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby fehler » November 16th, 2016, 4:15 pm

How about a blue-ribbon committee? Committees don't get any better than that.

User avatar
Nick
Capella Tower
Posts: 2991
Joined: May 30th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Loring Park, Minneapolis

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby Nick » November 16th, 2016, 4:28 pm

We did, in fact, just pass a bunch of new regulations for skyways involving design and wayfinding and location and so on:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 184863.pdf

Existing ones are grandfathered in, though.

MNdible
is great.
Posts: 5738
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby MNdible » November 16th, 2016, 8:48 pm

amiller92 wrote:Street connections are unfortunately a loaded topic, as certain business interests are concerned they will bring in the wrong people (which is super racist). There was a MinnPost article about what happened to the enhanced street connection that was supposed to be added as part of the Mall renovation but got dropped.
The connection that was proposed was never a realistic option -- there just isn't enough ROW to do what they were proposing.

Online
Silophant
Moderator
Posts: 3715
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Location: The Gateway

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby Silophant » November 16th, 2016, 8:55 pm

Sort of related: The Nic on Fifth seems to be installing a new elevator between the ground and the skyway, right by the top of the skyway escalators. (Currently, handicapped access to the skyway level involves going through the apartment lobby.) I thought they might have been required to by the new regs, but they should be grandfathered in, so I guess I don't know. I mean, it's great that they're doing it, but it seems a surprisingly big investment for a year-old building that has yet to actually get a skyway-level tenant.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1702
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby amiller92 » November 17th, 2016, 9:47 am

Isn't there a Starbucks going in on the ground level? Maybe they wanted it.

Online
Silophant
Moderator
Posts: 3715
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Location: The Gateway

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby Silophant » November 17th, 2016, 10:10 am

Oh, right. Had totally forgotten about the Starbucks since you can't really see it happening.

Additionally, the Nic might just be planning to be a busier skyway entrance now that the additional LRT platform is finally being completed and will dump incoming riders right at their door.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 165
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 10:59 am

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby billhelm » January 26th, 2017, 8:14 am

Image

Here's a fun one - I pass this occasionally and always chuckle. It's on the back side of the Ameriprise building behind the elevators going over to Capella/Strib building (which is called US Bank Place on this sign, a name the building had only very briefly at the end of the last millenium (97-00). Likewise, Pilsbury Center has been US Bank Plaza since 2004.

Time to update this one maybe???

contrast
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 121
Joined: July 17th, 2012, 8:23 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby contrast » January 28th, 2017, 10:33 pm

and what is that other image on there? Looks like something from 1982?

twinkess
Rice Park
Posts: 452
Joined: November 26th, 2012, 10:46 am

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby twinkess » January 29th, 2017, 10:43 am

I think the caption below it says "Metronome"? Strange thing to point to in a skyway system! :D

BigIdeasGuy
Landmark Center
Posts: 281
Joined: March 27th, 2013, 8:22 am

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby BigIdeasGuy » February 1st, 2017, 10:59 am

Can we all agree that new a new design for skyway sign is badly needed. The current "water" background looks incredibly dated and news to be modernized, especially now that we have both the Super Bowl and Final Four coming to town.

User avatar
Tiller
Foshay Tower
Posts: 842
Joined: January 17th, 2015, 11:58 am

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby Tiller » February 9th, 2017, 1:05 pm

So this showed up in my Facebook feed today:
http://rachelbrandon.com/the-lovehate-r ... -redesign/
I'm on mobile, so I'd appreciate it if someone could post pictures of the map/signage for me. They look good!

Rube Dali
Metrodome
Posts: 79
Joined: August 31st, 2015, 11:21 pm
Location: Maplewood, MN
Contact:

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby Rube Dali » February 9th, 2017, 4:13 pm

MAP: Image

Signage: Image

And Image
Buildings, what buildings?

MNdible
is great.
Posts: 5738
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby MNdible » February 9th, 2017, 4:22 pm

I know that subway maps are sexy, and that's the first place people go when thinking about something like this, but I think the route idea is an unnecessary layer of complexity.

SkyScraperKid

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby SkyScraperKid » February 9th, 2017, 4:32 pm

So when giving directions from C Ramp to the US Bank Stadium you would just have to say...

Take the Red line to green line, to the orange line, to the dark blue line, to the black/dark blue line but continue on to the dark blue line to, the purple line, and you're there!

Yea, Sounds easy enough.

EOst
Capella Tower
Posts: 2253
Joined: March 19th, 2014, 8:05 pm
Location: North End, Saint Paul

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby EOst » February 9th, 2017, 5:49 pm

If this were just a subway-style map I wouldn't disagree, but I think it's less about tracing "routes" than making user orientation easier. You can glance at the color of the overhead sign and then easy find which "line" you're on or which route you need.

User avatar
Tiller
Foshay Tower
Posts: 842
Joined: January 17th, 2015, 11:58 am

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby Tiller » February 9th, 2017, 10:30 pm

SkyScraperKid wrote:
February 9th, 2017, 4:32 pm
So when giving directions from C Ramp to the US Bank Stadium you would just have to say...

Take the Red line to green line, to the orange line, to the dark blue line, to the black/dark blue line but continue on to the dark blue line to, the purple line, and you're there!

Yea, Sounds easy enough.
While I appreciate the snark, the route to get there isn't simple in the first place.

Additionally, the purpose of having a map/signage is to provide directions on the go, inside the system, so you don't need to write down "take X to Y then right onto Z double back and climb over the wall then four more lefts and you're there" to find your way around. :D

Do we have anyone on that aforementioned skyway commission thing that could push for something like this (since it was basically empty), or would we have to lobby some city council people?

at40man
Rice Park
Posts: 423
Joined: January 3rd, 2013, 6:49 pm
Location: The Saintly City

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby at40man » February 10th, 2017, 9:16 am

Tiller wrote: Street connections are unfortunately a loaded topic, as certain business interests are concerned they will bring in the wrong people (which is super racist).
To be fair, I don't think it has so much to do with race as it does with not wanting people to loiter, vandalize, or defecate in the skyway. There is some precedence for concern due to the anti-social behaviors that have been occurring in the skyway near the street connection to the St Paul Skyway: http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/27/me ... ppy-crowd/

I can't claim to know the best way to solve the problem. But let's not accuse a nameless group of alleged people you don't know of being racist -- unless you have actual evidence of racism.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1702
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby amiller92 » February 10th, 2017, 10:02 am

at40man wrote:
February 10th, 2017, 9:16 am
Tiller wrote: Street connections are unfortunately a loaded topic, as certain business interests are concerned they will bring in the wrong people (which is super racist).
To be fair, I don't think it has so much to do with race as it does with not wanting people to loiter, vandalize, or defecate in the skyway. There is some precedence for concern due to the anti-social behaviors that have been occurring in the skyway near the street connection to the St Paul Skyway: http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/27/me ... ppy-crowd/

I can't claim to know the best way to solve the problem. But let's not accuse a nameless group of alleged people you don't know of being racist -- unless you have actual evidence of racism.
Nope, they're racists and I see no treason to be worried about their feelings.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1702
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby amiller92 » February 10th, 2017, 10:04 am

EOst wrote:
February 9th, 2017, 5:49 pm
If this were just a subway-style map I wouldn't disagree, but I think it's less about tracing "routes" than making user orientation easier. You can glance at the color of the overhead sign and then easy find which "line" you're on or which route you need.
I'm not sure these routes are the right ones, but we need something. St. Paul has signs that indicate major destinations that (Town Center that way or something like that), which helps, but it's nearly impossible to give directions in the Minneapolis skyway unless it's to the next building over. Adding some type of structure seems like a good idea.


Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests