Orchestra Hall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Orchestra Hall

Postby John » February 13th, 2013, 10:40 am

I'm not sure if I posted this before, but here is a link to a 3D video of what Orchestra Hall will look like when the renovation is completed: http://youtu.be/9v0HN5r-7Pw

mulad

Postby mulad » February 14th, 2013, 5:53 pm

The project will proceed more rapidly now. The glass facade is going up on the front of the building, and the "city room's" concrete horizontal levelors are in place. The project is supposed to be completed in June.
I thought you said "concrete horizontal elevators" and I was like :shock: did not see THAT in the rendering :D
Turbolifts!

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » February 23rd, 2013, 6:53 pm

IMG_7658.jpg
IMG_1232.jpg

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 25th, 2013, 10:35 am

^^^Thanks for the photos Matt. The "City Room" projecting out from the lobby is really making a good connection with Nicollet Mall. Now, if we could just save the fountains on Peavey Plaza! It would be one of the most interesting urban spaces in Minneapolis.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 16th, 2013, 4:42 pm

IMG_2916 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » March 25th, 2013, 6:00 pm

Has anyone else been wondering about the gray stone cladding? I know it has yet to be cleaned, but it looks like the WORST possible choice. I was standing on 11th street today and could not see the difference between the stone and the gray, grimy sidewalk underfoot. Furthermore, I noticed that the panels are misaligned slightly toward the Marquette side of the 11th street facade.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 25th, 2013, 6:30 pm

The type of stone that they have used on the building is called Alabama Shadow Vein, It's an extremely beautiful stone. It does need to be cleaned. It's the same material you'll find on Target Corp Where MASA is.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=44.972996,- ... ,,0,-12.51

DTSB
City Center

Postby DTSB » March 25th, 2013, 7:08 pm

^^^Thanks for the photos Matt. The "City Room" projecting out from the lobby is really making a good connection with Nicollet Mall. Now, if we could just save the fountains on Peavey Plaza! It would be one of the most interesting urban spaces in Minneapolis.
Personally I think it sticks out too far and cuts off, or even hides, Peavey Plaza. I hope when everything is finished I'm wrong. . .

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 26th, 2013, 6:14 am

Has anyone else been wondering about the gray stone cladding? I know it has yet to be cleaned, but it looks like the WORST possible choice. I was standing on 11th street today and could not see the difference between the stone and the gray, grimy sidewalk underfoot. Furthermore, I noticed that the panels are misaligned slightly toward the Marquette side of the 11th street facade.
I like the stone for the most part, but I would have chosen something with a slightly more rosy tint to connect it with the red brick of the music hall. Like you said, there are a few places where the stone panels could have been better aligned, which unfortunately, I doubt they will do anything about. However, there are also some knicks and chips in the stone that I'm sure will be replaced.

Fotoapparatic, thanks for the info on the stone. The coloration relates well to the stone on the Target building, The Westminster Church, and the older building (housing Britt's) across the street on Nicollet Mall. The architects did try to create a relationship with the new lobby to the surrounding architecture with some success. I'm thinking when it's cleaned it will bring out the buff, warm tonality of the stone better.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » May 13th, 2013, 3:10 pm

Good article about the Minnesota Orchestra lockout in the New York Times yesterday:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/13/arts/ ... wanted=all

A quote:

" In Minneapolis, a city that has spawned and supported important cultural institutions over many decades and appears to be in robust financial health, there is an ensemble poised on the cusp of certifiable greatness. The orchestra is scheduled to record again in September and to form a major component of Carnegie Hall’s next season, with two Sibelius concerts in November and two more in April, encompassing all seven of the symphonies and other works.

But the ensemble now seems in danger of coming apart. Players have dispersed to freelance gigs elsewhere, and one has left permanently. The excellent principal clarinetist, Burt Hara, has won a position as associate principal clarinetist of the Los Angeles Philharmonic and will be granted a year’s leave of absence from Minnesota. In sports, Mr. Hara would be called a franchise player, and this loss would be immense. "

And later:

"Surely the great cultural mecca of Minneapolis must want this resolved quickly. We in New York do. And whatever happens, the world will be watching. Mr. Vanska and his formidable troops have seen to that. "

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 13th, 2013, 3:26 pm

it's sad this mutual destruction going on.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » May 13th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Thanks for sharing Avian. Makes me sad too. Here's hoping for a amicable resolution and a lack of lasting damage.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 13th, 2013, 10:36 pm

The interior lobby has been more lit up at night recently, and it's quite spectacular to look at from the outside. Should really animate the corner along 11th and Nicollet Mall.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » May 13th, 2013, 11:08 pm

This jewel will sparkle for generations. Thrilled to get a glimpse at the finished product.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » July 26th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Almost done?
Orchestra Hall Construction by MSPdude, on Flickr
My flickr photos.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 26th, 2013, 10:56 pm

They've been lighting up the "City Room" facing Nicollet Mall at night. Looks beautiful reflecting off the horizontal stone blinds.The project should completed in the next two weeks. The striking transparency of the lobby will be even more apparent once the sidewalk construction coverings are removed on 11th Street. Unfortunately, there is still no Orchestra to play in the hall, and no renovated plaza (with restored fountains!) to enjoy on a summer evening.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » July 27th, 2013, 7:02 am

A fancy entryway is great but it will be a big waste of money if we no longer have a world class orchestra to play there. Amazing how much the (not for profit) management has screwed up this whole thing. Not that pay cuts aren't necessary, but it's unseemly to slash salaries by a third because you can't afford to pay while using public and donor money to make a major upgrade to the non-performance aspects of the facility.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 27th, 2013, 9:55 am

I'm not an expert about that conflict, but from watching the letters back and forth from management to the union that have been published in MinnPost, it's absolutely fascinating how hell bent the two sides are on destroying themselves.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 27th, 2013, 11:29 am

A big building that will go to waste. I hope the city can sue the board for the lost money that the city and state gave for this project.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 27th, 2013, 11:55 am

There is hope. They are having former Senator George Mitchell mediate the labor dispute. He helped negotiate peace in Northern Ireland, and I think he has met his match with a similar challenge here ;)
http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 71301.html