Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
SurlyLHT
US Bank Plaza

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby SurlyLHT » January 8th, 2020, 9:10 am

Anyone go to the DMNA meeting last night and see what the Service Center Block RFP proposals are? The little I've heard the main proposal seemed underwhelming.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » January 8th, 2020, 9:51 am

I didn't go, but the meeting agenda showed one presentation for the one proposal bizjournals reported on.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... l-for.html

Sounds like the company specializes on rehabbing historic buildings so it seems unlikely they will do a tear down. Done right they could really help bring some activity to this dead zone. Getting rid of the parking lot between the buildings for some green space and a restaurant patio would be great.

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » January 8th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Both of these buildings are handsome artifacts of their period. We’ve lost the very best from this time, but one or both of these could be worth saving if they are handled well. Perhaps either a park or a slender new building could take over the parking lot.

SurlyLHT
US Bank Plaza

Postby SurlyLHT » January 8th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Aren't they required to build something at least 10 stories on the land? I'm guessing there are some plans for the lot? (When the proposal is public and if something is actually being built this will need it's own thread?)

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 8th, 2020, 2:04 pm

After they only received 1 proposal, that doesn't seem to meet the RFP, I wondered if they would cancel it and make some changes. Seems there was interest, but concerns too, which prevented more players from submitting.

SurlyLHT
US Bank Plaza

Postby SurlyLHT » January 8th, 2020, 2:51 pm

HiawathaGuy wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 2:04 pm
After they only received 1 proposal, that doesn't seem to meet the RFP, I wondered if they would cancel it and make some changes. Seems there was interest, but concerns too, which prevented more players from submitting.
Seems like this would be prime land during the next boom.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » January 8th, 2020, 3:39 pm

The preliminary site plans basically showed a parking structure going in between the buildings with the current buildings just being made into housing with some retail added. I was really disappointed because this would be a prime spot for some mixed use with some office space. Even if it was just a mid-range (10-15 story) building I'd be a lot happier than what this proposal was.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » January 9th, 2020, 11:22 am

luigipaladio wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 12:56 pm
Both of these buildings are handsome artifacts of their period. We’ve lost the very best from this time, but one or both of these could be worth saving if they are handled well. Perhaps either a park or a slender new building could take over the parking lot.
I'm with Luigi on this one. Even if these buildings don't rank as architectural treasures, they are good and pleasant reminders of their era. They're the sort of structures that we'll likely miss someday should they disappear now. Should the finances of renovation and redevelopment permit the reuse of the Public Services and City of Lakes buildings., there's still enough downtown land tied up in parking lots or ugly, underused buildings that there's no pressing need to destroy them.

alexschief
Target Field

Postby alexschief » January 9th, 2020, 11:40 am

These buildings have nice facades, but they have awful street presence in an area with no shortage of terrible ground-levels. With a good architect, new buildings on this site could re-use or interpret the style of the existing city buildings while adding life to the streetscape and more activity to the block. That's what should happen at least.

Either way, one response to the RFP is never good enough (especially for a block of this importance), and the city should reject that bid, figure out what went wrong, and reboot the process.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 9th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Neither options were all that impressive. It kinda seems like this is planned for a multi-phase development with the layout they presented. Tear stuff down in 10 years and put in a tower. Option 2 had the City of Lakes building completely gutted for parking. Both options called for demolition of 217 S 3rd St, and replacing it with a parking garage. No first floor activation for the parking garage either. I think for this to be a police precinct would be the wrong move.

Sidenote though. It seems like the time left on the Wells Fargo data center may be limited. Looks like there are eyes on it for redevelopment.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » January 9th, 2020, 1:01 pm

grant1simons2 wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 12:35 pm
Sidenote though. It seems like the time left on the Wells Fargo data center may be limited. Looks like there are eyes on it for redevelopment.
Dear god I hope so. That place hits the terrible design bingo. No street-level activation, not even windows. One door, set way back from the corner. Parking garage entrances interrupting the sidewalks around it. I know people often say "anything is better than a surface parking lot", but I honestly think that building is worse than a parking lot.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 9th, 2020, 1:24 pm

grant1simons2 wrote:
Neither options were all that impressive. It kinda seems like this is planned for a multi-phase development with the layout they presented. Tear stuff down in 10 years and put in a tower. Option 2 had the City of Lakes building completely gutted for parking. Both options called for demolition of 217 S 3rd St, and replacing it with a parking garage. No first floor activation for the parking garage either. I think for this to be a police precinct would be the wrong move.
I mean, the obvious (to a lay person) thing to do is tear down 217 S 3rd and build a tower connecting (and maybe above) the two existing structures, assuming one values preserving them. But I guess there's an alley there?

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » January 9th, 2020, 1:53 pm

LakeCharles wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 1:01 pm
grant1simons2 wrote:
Dear god I hope so. That place hits the terrible design bingo. No street-level activation, not even windows. One door, set way back from the corner. Parking garage entrances interrupting the sidewalks around it. I know people often say "anything is better than a surface parking lot", but I honestly think that building is worse than a parking lot.
Considering the contents of that building I wouldn't expect it to have a lot of street level activation.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 9th, 2020, 1:56 pm

They're working with Ten x Ten currently to add green space to the surrounding structures. My hope was to keep the service building, tear down city of lakes, and build a tower on the corner of 2nd Ave and 3rd St. Having the hotel being renovated next door renews activation of the street, and this would continue it towards Hennepin.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 27th, 2020, 11:38 am

Looks like 505 N 3rd St has a redevelopment proposal incoming. This is the building containing Modist Brewing and Trash Messenger Bags, which is looking for a new space:

NickP
Rice Park

Postby NickP » February 12th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » February 12th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Can you summarize the article, don’t have a subscription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anondson
IDS Center

Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby Anondson » February 12th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Downtown population now over 51K. Up 10K since 2017. Up 60% since 2006.

grrdanko
Nicollet Mall

Postby grrdanko » February 12th, 2020, 6:10 pm

Qhaberl wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 2:48 pm
Can you summarize the article, don’t have a subscription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Open it in an incognito window.

DTSB
City Center

Postby DTSB » February 14th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Seems like now is a good time to stop calling it all Downtown and start referencing the different neighborhoods of Minneapolis around the Central Business District.

Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”