Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby mnmike » February 3rd, 2015, 11:32 am

I think it was a TCF? Then it was Men's Wearhouse.

MplsTodd
Block E

Postby MplsTodd » February 3rd, 2015, 11:48 am

I think it used to be a Minnesota Federal. I remember in the 1970's, they used to have several reindeer in the outdoor plaza during the Christmas season.
I remember talking to someone who worked for Panera about 8-10 years ago. He said that the Nicollet Mall Panera did excellent business, helped by strong catering of business lunches.

The Walgreen's store used to be a B. Dalton bookseller back in the '70s and '80s. Walgreen's had a store at (I think) 9th & Nicollet, across from their current location. They probably moved around the time The Conservatory was built (circa 1986).
I can't contribute much to current going's on (since I'm now in Ohio), but at least I do recall my Mpls downtown history

I don't care if the site gets redeveloped or not, but I do hope that we can retain a storefront fronting on Nicollet Mall. Rather than a restaurant, I also hope it stays retail in use. Otherwise the south part of the mall is becoming very one-dimensional in the orientation to restaurants.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 3rd, 2015, 12:41 pm

I don't care if the site gets redeveloped or not, but I do hope that we can retain a storefront fronting on Nicollet Mall. Rather than a restaurant, I also hope it stays retail in use. Otherwise the south part of the mall is becoming very one-dimensional in the orientation to restaurants.
I'd agree with all of that. Whether or not it is redeveloped, I'd hope that Walgreens' & Panera's street frontage remains at least two retail bays, one of which is non-restaurant. Anyone know what, if anything, is on the "skyway" level above Walgreens? It's not actually attached to the skyway, correct?
Speaking of Men's Warehouse, I actually wish that store (in USBancorp HQ) would trade places with something more deserving of that awesome corner and street-level space. Men's Warehouse seems like the kind of place that would be more at home on the skyway-level. Basically, Men's Warehouse could trade places with a Banana Republic or one of the stores that is currently hiding in IDS, and I think the street level activity would be better for it. In a better world, Men's Warehouse would relocate to a less-prominent location and the space would be filled by a new-to-downtown store like Express or Zara or something more unique.

Long story short, I don't think Men's Warehouse contributes much to the street. It's a great corner and should have something better with people coming and going all day. Even if the Men's Warehouse simply swapped places with the Verizon Store (above it), I would consider that an improvement over today.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 3rd, 2015, 12:46 pm

Well, weren't they going to merge with Jos A Bank?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 3rd, 2015, 12:46 pm

Downtown population rose to 38,909 and crime was reduced 78% within DID borders this year

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 3rd, 2015, 1:09 pm

Grant, can you edit in a link for that information, if one exists?

That figure compares well with the population estimate (37,500) given last year in this Strib editorial, as they noted it was expected to rise in the early 2015 count:
Strib editorial checking in on the progress of the Downtown Council's 2025 Plan: http://www.startribune.com/opinion/edit ... 80231.html
Looking further back in this thread, Strib published an article in mid-February last year with the Downtown Council's update, so I'd anticipate an article forthcoming.

As always, everyone should keep in mind that Downtown Council's boundaries for downtown population are larger than what you'd traditionally think of, including Loring Heights (south of I-94) and a strip of land on the east side of the river. Either way, we've got a LONG way to go to hit 70,000 in 10 years. Several existing Class B or C office buildings would have to be converted to residential - new development alone won't get us there.

EDIT: Looks like 37,526 was the estimate last year. http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/do ... s-to-37526

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 3rd, 2015, 1:12 pm

Yeah sure,

https://twitter.com/MplsDowntown/status ... 5185528833
https://twitter.com/StribRoper/status/5 ... 7781865475

It was announced at the Downtown Council annual meeting today

Here are their borders:

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 3rd, 2015, 1:20 pm

Wait, so they are including the purple areas as well? So NIEBNA and Marcy-Holmes are considered downtown but cedar riverside isn't?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 3rd, 2015, 1:22 pm

Thanks for the links. I think that's an older map, and while close, is not exactly what they used in the 2025 Plan (which is where the whole 70,000 people goal comes from).

I went down the rabbit hole of those Twitter links and found this map, tweeted by Ben Shardlow, who works for the Downtown Council:

https://twitter.com/shardlow/status/533 ... 72/photo/1

I wonder how many people live in the little chunk of Lowry Hill (west of I-94). They did that primarily to capture the Walker and Sculpture Garden in their definition of downtown, but there are a number of residents in that definition too, depending on what the southern boundary actually is. Hard to say if it's Douglas or Summit. I'm fine with the areas east of the river being included. As that area grows up (literally and figuratively), I think it will feel more and more like "downtown".

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 3rd, 2015, 2:00 pm

I'd agree with all of that. Whether or not it is redeveloped, I'd hope that Walgreens' & Panera's street frontage remains at least two retail bays, one of which is non-restaurant. Anyone know what, if anything, is on the "skyway" level above Walgreens? It's not actually attached to the skyway, correct?
Speaking of Men's Warehouse, I actually wish that store (in USBancorp HQ) would trade places with something more deserving of that awesome corner and street-level space. Men's Warehouse seems like the kind of place that would be more at home on the skyway-level. Basically, Men's Warehouse could trade places with a Banana Republic or one of the stores that is currently hiding in IDS, and I think the street level activity would be better for it. In a better world, Men's Warehouse would relocate to a less-prominent location and the space would be filled by a new-to-downtown store like Express or Zara or something more unique.

Long story short, I don't think Men's Warehouse contributes much to the street. It's a great corner and should have something better with people coming and going all day. Even if the Men's Warehouse simply swapped places with the Verizon Store (above it), I would consider that an improvement over today.
As a former employee of Men's Wearhouse I can tell you that they will never locate on a skyway level. They do too much tuxedo rental business to have customer's dragging tuxs thru the skyways, especially on the sunday returns. Yes downt own does good business with tux rentals for weddings as there are many people who stay downtown when attending weddings and pick up tuxes there as well. They will always remain on street level for that reason.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 3rd, 2015, 3:10 pm

Strip the facade and turn it into a downtown Apple Store.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Re: Current & Proposed Downtown Minneapolis Projects

Postby twincitizen » February 3rd, 2015, 3:55 pm

Anyone have access to see what this is about? This building is definitely an energy suck from all four blockfaces... http://finance-commerce.com/2014/02/dow ... -for-sale/
I don't have any info on the listing, but I'd be curious to know what the lease term is for Ameriprise. Usually, demand and pricing for a single-tenant building such as this will depend on the lease term, with the marketplace generally liking longer lease terms (at least 6 or 7 years and preferably more).
I agree that it doesn't add to any vitality of the area, but in its defense, it was designed and built when few, if any folks anticipated that there would be developments like Grant Park and Skyscape in the vicinity. It's similar to the Wells fargo Data Center at Washington Avenue and 3rd Avenue S. When that building was built in the early '80s (?), it was on the edge of downtown, and no-one seemed to have the vision that downtown could grow beyond that area.
Another thought on the Ameriprise Data Ctr. They have very zealous security guards. About 5 years ago, I took a photo of the Campbell Mithun Building from the sidewalk in front of the Ameriprise building and a security guard came out and demanded to know who I was and what I was doing, even though I was on a public right-of-way.
Following up on this from a year ago, F&C reported over the weekend that the data center was sold to the same Texas-based company that purchased TriTech in 2013. There is 120,000+ sf of data center and 120,000 sf of office space for which they'll be looking to find tenants.

http://finance-commerce.com/2015/01/dow ... big-money/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 4th, 2015, 3:29 pm

http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/ho ... councildid

Good article on the new DT2025 board chair, Tom Hoch
Barr, the outgoing Downtown Council/DID board chair, said the most important initiative the organization should spearhead is carving out more green space downtown. He said he’d like to see a Ground Rounds of sorts for downtown Minneapolis, and pointed to the Commons Park planned next to the new Vikings stadium as an important catalyst for other parks. Greening Downtown Minneapolis, a new nonprofit conservancy, will oversee the Commons and its fundraising campaign.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » February 4th, 2015, 3:48 pm

http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/ho ... councildid

Good article on the new DT2025 board chair, Tom Hoch
a Ground Rounds of sorts for downtown Minneapolis,
Like, a giant hamburger?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 4th, 2015, 3:53 pm

That's good to hear. The suburban chain casual dining niche is underfilled in downtown.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 4th, 2015, 4:20 pm

That'll bring families with children downtown. Pay what you weigh Tuesdays! Clowns making balloon animals!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 4th, 2015, 4:51 pm

I'd love to hear the MPRB's reaction to "we need our own downtown park board and our own downtown grand rounds." Seems like a slap in the face to them.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » February 5th, 2015, 5:25 am

Seeing as the park board has basically been acting like a petulant child lately, one could argue they're due a few slaps, if one believes in the corporal punishment sort of thing.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 8th, 2015, 10:40 pm

Back last year there was that excellent downtown surface parking lot map, showing all the lots, plus which were proposed developments and which were active developments. There have been a few changes since it was posted. I think it could maybe do with an annual update.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 9th, 2015, 10:08 am

Back last year there was that excellent downtown surface parking lot map, showing all the lots, plus which were proposed developments and which were active developments. There have been a few changes since it was posted. I think it could maybe do with an annual update.
The map was made by me, and I actually do keep it updated. Here you go:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... -YDB4eSP0A