Nicollet Mall

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby Munch'n » March 24th, 2015, 3:43 pm

Meet me in Wells

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 24th, 2015, 4:37 pm

I tried researching it and all I could find was a map of the met council's TOD sites across the metro, and dispersed in half-mile radii around existing LRT & BRT stations. It could be argued that there are eight of these within the confines of greater downtown Mpls. It's not very creative though so I doubt that's it.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Since we're getting another major sports franchise announced tomorrow and it's otherwise been a slow news week, I thought I'd run an idea by you guys.

What if Minneapolis imitated the Kansas City Power and Light District and created a permanent festival district/open container area downtown? For those not familiar with KC P&L, its a 9 block area in downtown adjacent to the sprint center (their target center but without a major team) where you're allowed to walk around outside with alcohol. Now, the city and state contributed some hefty subsidies to the developer to build a faux urbanist mixed use development, but we already have that naturally. The one thing I do envy is a semi-outdoor concert stage they built in the middle of a bunch of bars and restaurants.

The area I'd designate would be the main Minneapolis nightlife area; between Washington in the North, 10th st. in the South, Hennepin in the East and I-394 including Target field plaza in the West. I'd build an outdoor concert venue at the the vacant 3/4 lot across from the LRT station (tactfully incorporating the existing building of course) or bridging I-394. This would put it squarely within Pohlad/United property territory so if the city would partner with someone on this it would be them. Depending on the design for the MLS stadium and surrounding development United would be able to possibly incorporate that too and clean up nicely.

Thoughts?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 24th, 2015, 8:07 pm

I went to a Twins vs Royals weekend and was told we HAD to go to the Power and Light district. I am SO glad we did. It was the only area with some nightlife that we could find. I have often thought it could be interesting to mimic, however hard to execute.

More info: http://m.axs.com/guide-to-kansas-city-p ... rict-12808

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 25th, 2015, 8:04 am

Maybe on a smaller scale than P&L District. Isn't that multiple blocks? I always wanted something like that for Block E, sigh....

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 25th, 2015, 11:23 am

I stopped by the P&L District last time I was there. It's a pretty cool concept, and definitely seems like a fun place for big events. I wasn't able to really explore it in context, though. Does that area cannibalize the activity downtown, or does it fit in pretty well?

St. Louis has a kind of similar concept with their Stadium Village development across the street from Busch Stadium. In a way, it's really kind of like Block E but better executed. As a whole, though, I think a city is better off having entertainment venues spread around more.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 25th, 2015, 11:41 am

I went to a Twins vs Royals weekend and was told we HAD to go to the Power and Light district. I am SO glad we did. It was the only area with some nightlife that we could find.
Westport is actually a pretty cool, historic, and somewhat organic nightlife area south of Downtown KC. I haven't been to P&L, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not really my scene.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 25th, 2015, 11:45 am

I've always pictured you as a flip-flop wearing Bud Light drinker, MNdible. Are you saying I'm wrong?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 25th, 2015, 11:55 am

^ Nailed it, brah.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 25th, 2015, 12:38 pm

FYI - I re-posted this link over in the "North Loop Neighborhood" thread, where we had some previous discussion about that specific Metro Transit site.

From the print edition, none of the other 7 potential TOD sites are in Minneapolis. Most are inner-suburban P&Rs (28th Ave, Robbinsdale) or other Council-owned properties like lift stations, etc. The gist of the article was that they were likely to act on this property first, as soon as the Heywood Garage Campus Master Plan was complete and approved by the Met Council, perhaps selling this property to a developer in 2016.

Continue that conversation over in North Loop Neighborhood

Enrique612
Block E

Postby Enrique612 » March 26th, 2015, 12:20 am

Long time reader, first time posting...I work for the Met Council and got the info from the article about the 8 TOD sites. Here is the list:

The eight locations:
• Heywood Bus Garage Campus at 560 Sixth Ave. N., Minneapolis (near Target Field Station).
• Robbinsdale Transit Center at 4145 Hubbard Ave. N., Robbinsdale (future Bottineau LRT).
• 28th Avenue Park-and-Ride at 8100 30th Ave. S., Bloomington (Blue Line LRT).
• Midway-Snelling Avenue “SmartSite” near University Avenue and Snelling Avenue in St. Paul (Green Line LRT).
• Central Station at Cedar and Fifth streets in downtown St. Paul (Green Line LRT).
• Fridley Station at 6050 Main St., Fridley (Northstar Commuter Rail).
• Fort Snelling Park-and-Ride (Blue Line).
• Blake Road Lift Station near Lake Street Northeast and Blake Road in Hopkins (future Southwest LRT).

The previous post was correct that they want to focus on the site by the Heywood garage first. It is amazing how much the area around Heywood has changed since 2008 when I started working there!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 26th, 2015, 1:22 pm

So Gen Con may be leaving Indianapolis due to a bill that the Indiana gov signed, I'm sure some of you have heard of. Someone tweeted out to them with Jacob Frey, Hodges, Bender and Alondra mentioned. Frey said he already has started pushing for it to come to Minneapolis. It takes in over 50,000 attendees a year.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 26th, 2015, 1:31 pm

I'd love it here, but Minneapolis is out of the center of huge populations. That matters because GenCon was in Milwaukee before Indy. Relocated to Indy because that put it closer to the east coast fans but close enough to the large Midwest base.

If it happens (moving to Minneapolis), I'd be stunned but happy.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 26th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Looking at their numbers right now. It seems like it could've been the case, but a lot of it looks like it was the age of the internet doing wonders for it. I don't know much about it, but I support as many conventions as we can get here.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby mattaudio » March 26th, 2015, 2:05 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... polis.html
Downtown Minneapolis will get a medical marijuana dispensary at 207 9th St S. This is on the block that's 90% surface parking, east of Oracle Center.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 26th, 2015, 2:09 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... polis.html
Downtown Minneapolis will get a medical marijuana dispensary at 207 9th St S. This is on the block that's 90% surface parking, east of Oracle Center.
The thing that's most surprising in this article is that a parcel on this block went up for sale and the guy who owns the rest rest of the block didn't buy it.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 26th, 2015, 2:10 pm

It's a nice little building. Took some pictures of the outside of it a couple weeks ago. It has a little name on it; Seton Guild 1926. I wish we could get some towers that could accent it more.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 26th, 2015, 2:24 pm

So what is the deal with this Brian P. Short guy who owns 90% of this block?

Is he
A. a developer?
B. connected to a developer?
C. part (or beneficiary of) of a legacy "parking family" trust that is seriously in it for the parking revenue?

[I moved this from the Retail thread to the general thread, since I sense that's where the conversation is headed. The retail news aspect of it was pretty much covered in matt's initial post.]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 26th, 2015, 2:33 pm

http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stock ... %20Company
Mr. Brian P. Short serves as the Chief Executive Officer of Leamington Co. Mr. Short serves as an Executive Vice President of Municipal Parking, Inc. He has been an Independent Director of CH Robinson Worldwide Inc. since December 2002. He served as a Director of Allina Hospitals & Clinics. He serves as a Member of the Minnesota State and Ramsey County Bar Associations, the Florida Bar, Federal Bar Association and Federal Magistrate Judges Association. He is a member ...

http://www.lawandpolitics.com/minnesota ... TEM&id=370
See "sidebar" section. "CEO, family-owned business organization that includes transportation"

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 26th, 2015, 6:45 pm

C, apparently, since he's the guy who sued the city rather than spend a few thousand making his lots not look like ass.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]