Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
QuietBlue
Target Field

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby QuietBlue » February 15th, 2019, 11:12 am

karlshea wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 10:18 pm
If you mean "someone that stands behind the cheese counter", sure, but last time I was in there they didn't have or know what Cotija was. That's like not knowing Cheddar. Every Mexican place in the city puts it on their refried beans.
Which is funny, because I've seen Cacique cotija in their stores, at least. But it's not a "fancy" cheese, so yeah, I'm not surprised that they didn't know about it.

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » February 21st, 2019, 10:15 am

karlshea wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 10:18 pm
Nick wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 6:10 pm
There’s a cheesemonger no less. Love that Lund’s.
If you mean "someone that stands behind the cheese counter", sure, but last time I was in there they didn't have or know what Cotija was. That's like not knowing Cheddar. Every Mexican place in the city puts it on their refried beans.
I second this gripe. There is typically no one behind the counter and if you are lucky enough to be served by someone they will likely know nothing about cheese.

That said, having lived in the 35W / Washington Ave area, I don't think a grocery store would work here now with Trader Joe's in the area and Fresh Thyme only a LRT ride away. What could work is a high quality convenience store like Gold Medal Market (minus the poor location / visibility that doomed them).

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 8th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Fascinating.
https://twitter.com/mspbjHalter/status/ ... 5719777280
Redeveloped as offices, retail, and apartments. With skyway connection.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 9th, 2019, 3:19 pm

Buchanan’s father and uncle started their adult bookstore business in the 1980s, with Broadway Book & Video on Hennepin Avenue. He’s been working at the stores since he was 12, he said. He’s 46 now.
:shock:

SurlyLHT
US Bank Plaza

Postby SurlyLHT » March 19th, 2019, 11:13 am

I know we had a lot of approvals and proposals last Fall. At the same time it has been a long time since we've seen a proposal for a notable building. The forum is a bit more exciting when we have something juicy like that to analyze.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 19th, 2019, 11:24 am

I know, right? I’m waiting to see some ground being broken on stuff we saw going through the process in the past few month.

SurlyLHT
US Bank Plaza

Postby SurlyLHT » March 26th, 2019, 8:19 am

Anyone know what is going on at HERC? There is a crane up today and it appears they're doing some sort of upgrade.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » March 26th, 2019, 1:35 pm

What is the green you saw at the HERC? I wonder if it’s possible that the crane could be there gearing up for Southwest construction? I’m thinking in particular about the construction of the linking point near the interchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 31st, 2019, 5:47 pm

St. Olaf Catholic Church is working with Aeon to:

A) rehabilitate the existing supportive housing building on 2nd Ave and 9th St, and add 27 additional units on a portion of the green space next to it.

B) build a new 70-unit affordable housing building on the parking lot on the corner of 3rd Ave and 8th St, with 60 parking spaces for the church's use.

There's some more details in the weekly bulletin.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 31st, 2019, 6:33 pm

Nice.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 1st, 2019, 7:51 am

This is awesome! The more affordable housing we get the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 1st, 2019, 9:36 am

Certainly better than nothing, but remember that St. Olaf's property makes up 3/4 of a skyway-connected block inside the CBD (three blocks closer-in to the core than the Kraus Anderson block!) The "highest and best use" for this block is very, very high.

While I'm sure there are fans of St. Olaf's midcentury building that would be sad to see it go, the best outcome for the city/taxpayers is total redevelopment of the northern half of this block (excluding the 1/4 block occupied by the existing affordable housing and small corner park). The ideal scenario would be St. Olaf finding an existing church building to inhabit or building a new sanctuary in a more marginal corner of downtown (there seem to be like a dozen+ old church buildings downtown - surely not all of them are being utilized to their full extent). That said, even if St. Olaf's current building stays, you could do A LOT more with this 1/4-block parking lot than the 70 units they're planning to put here. For reference, the parking lot area alone is slightly larger than the 4Marq site (30 stories, 262 units). While I don't expect that they would build the 4Marq of affordable housing, this skyway-connected site is the perfect place for a parking-less housing development, with a 'BYO contract parking if you need it' model.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 1st, 2019, 10:35 am

Since it's not going to get going until 2021, the 2040 plan rezoning should be in effect by the time this come up for approval, which includes a 10-story minimum height for the Core 50 downtown district.

Not that I really expect the PC or the Council to not grant a variance to affordable housing that supports a church, but if there's a place that should work for affordable housing to get past the six-story barrier, it's here.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » April 1st, 2019, 11:07 am

I like the existing pocket park..

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 1st, 2019, 12:58 pm

Do you use it?

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » April 1st, 2019, 1:09 pm

grant1simons2 wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 12:58 pm
Do you use it?
Seeing as I was relocated to Columbus OH as my profile is displaying at you - obviously the answer is no.

But an 1/8th of a block can be trees. Softens a downtown.

Blaisdell Greenway
Nicollet Mall

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » April 3rd, 2019, 9:39 am

twincitizen wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 9:36 am
While I'm sure there are fans of St. Olaf's midcentury building that would be sad to see it go,
::raises hand::

We already have one former midcentury church on the edge of downtown that's about to be replaced by a residential tower so I'm cool with the only remaining one altogether in the CBD sticking around.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 3rd, 2019, 9:53 am

Not to mention that it's a Roy Thorshov building, and we've been getting rid of those with abandon recently.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 3rd, 2019, 10:19 am

Blaisdell Greenway wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 9:39 am
twincitizen wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 9:36 am
While I'm sure there are fans of St. Olaf's midcentury building that would be sad to see it go,
::raises hand::

We already have one former midcentury church on the edge of downtown that's about to be replaced by a residential tower so I'm cool with the only remaining one altogether in the CBD sticking around.
I agree, there's something about an old church amongst the tall downtown buildings. Montreal has some amazing examples of this, like Promenades Cathedrale, with a multi-level shopping mall and a subway station beneath it.

zlkahn
Metrodome

Postby zlkahn » April 3rd, 2019, 12:13 pm

The rebranded & renovated Hotel Minneapolis is re-opening today as the Emery Hotel: https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-li ... inneapolis

Along with it, the new Spyhouse Coffee and Giulia restaurant inside the building have also opened.

Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”