The Eclipse

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
cnelson
City Center
Posts: 39
Joined: July 10th, 2013, 12:43 pm

Re: The Eclipse

Postby cnelson » February 5th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Archiapolis wrote:
I'm not saying parking stalls don't have value but *presumably*, your unit was advertised as having x stalls included in the price. Correct?
Incorrect. For the most part, parking spaces in these buildings are treated as separate pieces of property, with their own purchase price, proptery tax and HOA assessment that's not included in the list price for the condo itself. The spots in the Eclipse will probably go for ~$20k a piece

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1541
Joined: September 29th, 2012, 10:41 am

Re: The Eclipse

Postby talindsay » February 5th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Archiapolis wrote:I'm not saying parking stalls don't have value but *presumably*, your unit was advertised as having x stalls included in the price. Correct? If you have x+1 cars, then you either purchase a bigger unit with x+1 stalls (and pay more for the unit) or, you make the decision to purchase the extra stall.
Perhaps all this arguing is the result of a misunderstanding, the condos I looked at back in 2006 all included zero parking spaces; one of the few cases where prices of parking are *NOT* hidden, a condo owner who wanted one space paid separately for one space and one who wanted two paid separate spaces.

m b p
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 198
Joined: September 3rd, 2012, 5:46 pm

Re: The Eclipse

Postby m b p » February 11th, 2014, 5:53 am

Updated Google Earth model for Eclipse:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 5&result=4

Image

kregger22

Re: The Eclipse

Postby kregger22 » February 11th, 2014, 4:30 pm

So impressive.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7905
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: The Eclipse

Postby mattaudio » February 11th, 2014, 4:42 pm

It's paying respect to the architectural style of its neighbor a block south on Hennepin.

skyrab

Re: The Eclipse

Postby skyrab » February 11th, 2014, 5:01 pm

m b p wrote:Updated Google Earth model for Eclipse:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 5&result=4

Image
This looks like Google Earth pooped (that must have hurt, ouch!)

m b p
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 198
Joined: September 3rd, 2012, 5:46 pm

Re: The Eclipse

Postby m b p » February 11th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Man I'm getting torn apart for creating this model. sorry.

User avatar
FISHMANPET
IDS Center
Posts: 4602
Joined: June 6th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Location: Corcoran

Re: The Eclipse

Postby FISHMANPET » February 11th, 2014, 5:13 pm

I think it's a pretty good model to give an idea of the massing, and pretty bad for what it will actually look like (because I don't think we can know for sure from the few renders we've been given).

Also I'm pretty amused by that bus shelter sinking into the parking lot.

John
Capella Tower
Posts: 2246
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 2:06 pm

Re: The Eclipse

Postby John » February 11th, 2014, 5:13 pm

I personally dislike the design of the Eclipse ( of what we've seen so far), but I appreciate your model very much. It gives a nice sense of scale and how it fits into the city around it. You do great work and keep doing what you do m b p.

m b p
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 198
Joined: September 3rd, 2012, 5:46 pm

Re: The Eclipse

Postby m b p » February 11th, 2014, 5:25 pm

FISHMANPET wrote:I think it's a pretty good model to give an idea of the massing, and pretty bad for what it will actually look like (because I don't think we can know for sure from the few renders we've been given).

Also I'm pretty amused by that bus shelter sinking into the parking lot.
It's an exact model to give an idea of the massing. ;) Viewing the floor plans, I built it up floor by floor, with the exact dimensions. Yes... color... who knows. I just made it dark gray... and tried to pick a pale gold color for the trim. As for the bus shelter... once you place the model in google earth and view things at street level (without entering 'street view'), details of surrounding areas can start looking odd.

People get that this is not just a picture... but a google earth model right? you open it in google earth...

skyrab

Re: The Eclipse

Postby skyrab » February 11th, 2014, 5:29 pm

m b p wrote:Man I'm getting torn apart for creating this model. sorry.
Your model is awesome (forgive me); I'm definitely not shooting the messenger here.

User avatar
Avian
Union Depot
Posts: 395
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 6:56 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: The Eclipse

Postby Avian » February 11th, 2014, 6:25 pm

^I agree. Keep up the good work m b p! The models are terrific. Even if the architecture is questionable. ;)

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower
Posts: 3785
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 6:59 am

Re: The Eclipse

Postby Wedgeguy » February 12th, 2014, 10:41 am

The model is great at putting the massing into context. One of the problems with the model is it only has 2 colors, which is not a fault of you. But if windows were be added in for some reflection that would help a bit to break up the mass. More details on the street levels would add to the visual, but you can't know what that detail really is yet. When both of those are done it would make it less of a monochromic scheme. m b p you did a great first step, once we can start adding details to the building hopefully it will lose some of it's bulkiness. m b p please do things like this, even if it is only a starting point. It helps the rest of us gain a better perspective of what we are talking about. Great job!!
Last edited by Wedgeguy on February 12th, 2014, 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kregger22

Re: The Eclipse

Postby kregger22 » February 12th, 2014, 3:09 pm

My comment was no offense to you mbp.

User avatar
Andrew_F
Rice Park
Posts: 453
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 10:15 pm
Location: Stevens Square

Re: The Eclipse

Postby Andrew_F » February 13th, 2014, 12:56 am

Thanks for the model, MBP. After looking at it, I have to ask, what do they plan on doing with the space on the pedestal that is blocked in? If the top level is just open-topped parking it will look pretty gross, but at the same time, how popular will a roof top deck be that is boxed in on all sides?

It's an awkward site, but it's really too bad they couldn't figure out a better massing for the towers.

John
Capella Tower
Posts: 2246
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 2:06 pm

Re: The Eclipse

Postby John » February 13th, 2014, 5:18 am

DaPerpKazoo wrote:Thanks for the model, MBP. After looking at it, I have to ask, what do they plan on doing with the space on the pedestal that is blocked in? If the top level is just open-topped parking it will look pretty gross, but at the same time, how popular will a roof top deck be that is boxed in on all sides?

It's an awkward site, but it's really too bad they couldn't figure out a better massing for the towers.
Stanton wants the city to grant him an increase in the parking ratio variance for The Eclipse. They can do so with conditions. That's really the best way for the city to get some leverage to modify the design (i.e. massing). I'm hoping that happens even though I'm not happy with the increase in parking stalls. The problem is we're dealing with a developer who has very little understanding or concern about good urban design.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 688
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 11:11 am

Re: The Eclipse

Postby nordeast homer » February 13th, 2014, 10:45 am

Is there any possibility that the ratio has anything to do with the viability of this project. In other words, is Stanton thinking that this much parking revenue is needed as part of the funding source to pay down debt?
I'm more inclined to think that he believes it will be a selling point versus a revenue stream, but I could be wrong.

nickmgray
Union Depot
Posts: 331
Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 10:40 am

Re: The Eclipse

Postby nickmgray » February 13th, 2014, 4:11 pm

nordeast homer wrote:Is there any possibility that the ratio has anything to do with the viability of this project. In other words, is Stanton thinking that this much parking revenue is needed as part of the funding source to pay down debt?
I'm more inclined to think that he believes it will be a selling point versus a revenue stream, but I could be wrong.
I think you're on the right track. His point is that there are quite a few people who want to buy condos downtown, but many of them are put off by the fact that they would have to change their life style to do so. Yes, there are restaurants, shops, and dozens of other amenities withing walking distance, but what happens when the husband wants to go golfing and the wife has a lunch date with her friends in Edina on a Saturday.

People who are willing to pay for a $350k condo are not the same people who want to jump on a bus. They would rather pay an extra $25k for a parking spot for their car.

If we were talking about market rate condos with two bedroom units going for $180k, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower
Posts: 818
Joined: November 2nd, 2012, 8:59 am

Re: The Eclipse

Postby Archiapolis » February 14th, 2014, 8:59 am

nickmgray wrote:
nordeast homer wrote:Is there any possibility that the ratio has anything to do with the viability of this project. In other words, is Stanton thinking that this much parking revenue is needed as part of the funding source to pay down debt?
I'm more inclined to think that he believes it will be a selling point versus a revenue stream, but I could be wrong.
I think you're on the right track. His point is that there are quite a few people who want to buy condos downtown, but many of them are put off by the fact that they would have to change their life style to do so. Yes, there are restaurants, shops, and dozens of other amenities withing walking distance, but what happens when the husband wants to go golfing and the wife has a lunch date with her friends in Edina on a Saturday.

People who are willing to pay for a $350k condo are not the same people who want to jump on a bus. They would rather pay an extra $25k for a parking spot for their car.

If we were talking about market rate condos with two bedroom units going for $180k, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
I think this is the clearest description of what is happening with this building. The "market" that this developer is looking for is exactly as described - people that can afford a big price tag and aren't really willing to embrace "urbanism." What I am trying to say (and many others) is that there are implications for the CITY that go beyond this developer's market and that now is the time to push back in an effort to shepherd the city in a more urban direction that is less car oriented. Just because this developer wants something based on his own pro forma, doesn't necessarily mean he should get it.

I don't know who said it but to think that the parking counts on this project wouldn't set a precedent is extremely naive. Our entire legal system is based on "precedent" and "case law." To think that the next developer wouldn't point to this and say, "But HE got a parking increase, why can't I?" is ludicrous. I have yet to meet a residential developer working in this metro who didn't want more parking than they were allowed. If there are architects from firms working in this market who have a different experience, I'd love to hear about it.

User avatar
FISHMANPET
IDS Center
Posts: 4602
Joined: June 6th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Location: Corcoran

Re: The Eclipse

Postby FISHMANPET » February 14th, 2014, 9:02 am

Did these parking maximums exist during the Condo boom? Was there any pushback against them back then? It's not like he's going to be the first person to build a condo building in downtown.


Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mister.shoes and 5 guests