AC Marriott Hotel - 401 Hennepin Ave (Andrews Hotel site)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Re: Andrews Hotel site (4th & Hennepin)

Postby nordeast homer » January 30th, 2014, 1:06 pm

So let me get this straight, I don't care about the ground level because I would like the top of the building to be unique?
You guys have been arguing about a facility that is not a part of this property!! You guys continue to get upset about threads that get sidetracked; I tried to bring it back to the property at hand. Of course the street level matters.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 30th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Just to make sure I'm following this correctly, a developer put up an empty plot of land for sale and we're already debating whether the hypothetical building that may or may not go up there in several years should have a spire? Shouldn't we wait for somebody to buy the land first?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 30th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Just to make sure I'm following this correctly, a developer put up an empty plot of land for sale and we're already debating whether the hypothetical building that may or may not go up there in several years should have a spire? Shouldn't we wait for somebody to buy the land first?
Insider informations points to plans already being formed for the site, sure that's a rumor, but it's a 1st person rumor.

and isn't it better to discuss potential for the lot for sale than the ramp that isn't?

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » January 30th, 2014, 1:42 pm

A crown or spire will ensure the building serves people on the sidewalk and has proper relationship to the public realm.
If it's on that small of a parcel, it's probably going to be tall. If it's going to be tall, it's going to stick out. If it's going to stick out, the design at the top better be as beautiful as the functionality at the bottom.
Last edited by m b p on January 30th, 2014, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » January 30th, 2014, 1:57 pm

I'm just some guy... I don't have any insider information. But from the public information that's out there it seems like the owner already has at least an idea... and maybe even plan or developer, in mind, for the site.

I'm not going to look for quotes in the articles I've read. However, many of them are along the lines of:
ideas for the site have existed in the past...
however there was a requirement for buses...
none of the ideas met/wanted to meet that requirement....
that requirement is now gone...
those existing ideas, that were formed when they dreamed of not having the bus requirement, are still there.

It very likely may be further along than they are making it look.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 30th, 2014, 2:04 pm

I think you're thinking of the Ritz block on the other side of the Library. This site is adjacent to the Lumber Exchange. It has never had any transportation restrictions.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » January 30th, 2014, 2:16 pm

I think you're thinking of the Ritz block on the other side of the Library. This site is adjacent to the Lumber Exchange. It has never had any transportation restrictions.
oops. You're 1/2 right. I was thinking of the Nicollet Hotel Block on the north side of the library. I think the Ritz Block is on the east side of the Library. I've been reading a lot of articles about this particular area of downtown. Still, my first comment... small site... big tower... crown needs to hold up. ;)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 30th, 2014, 2:42 pm

What ever it is I'd like for it to enhance the Lumber exchange building. Possibly working to get a better flow into and thru that building. For those that hate skyways, ignore that last statement. But that would help to energize the Lumber Exchange building lower levels as well.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » January 30th, 2014, 4:50 pm

So if there is already a plan for the site, why would Jones Lang LaSalle call up MSP Bizjournal and have them put up a story?

Seems odd, but again someone said a major retail tenant walked away from a space on Nicollet Mall because the listing agent was in a bad mood.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 30th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Yes, not ritz... Nicollet. Derp.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » February 2nd, 2014, 3:36 pm

So if there is already a plan for the site, why would Jones Lang LaSalle call up MSP Bizjournal and have them put up a story? ....
If I owned a piece of prime property and someone had made an offer, I also might put it on the open market to see if there would be more interest out there and a bigger offer.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 3rd, 2014, 10:35 am

So if there is already a plan for the site, why would Jones Lang LaSalle call up MSP Bizjournal and have them put up a story? ....
If I owned a piece of prime property and someone had made an offer, I also might put it on the open market to see if there would be more interest out there and a bigger offer.
The owner may be attempting to trump up a bidding war of sorts. The property is very desirable. The nearby 0.36 acre Marq4 parcel was sold to Mortenson for over 4 million dollars with three property owners involved. Not too shabby.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » June 10th, 2014, 2:12 pm

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 10th, 2014, 2:17 pm

That corner has long been one of my least favorite spots in that entire area of DT. Because it's right at the kink in 4th Ave, it's exceptionally visible to anyone coming from the west. The current sight of a surface lot + a shitty billboard + that awful parking ramp makes me shudder every single time. I would LOVE to see something spectacular rise on that lot, followed by something else spectacular on the lot one block to the south at 5th and Hennepin. Hell, "spectacular" isn't even necessary. Something really nice and useful would be fantastic.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » June 10th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Please let it be something more than a Hampton Inn copycat! I'm not looking for a supertall, but more than 10 floors would be nice.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » June 10th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Hennepin should complement and there is no excuse for empty store fronts. The empty Chevys Tex Mex is just unexcusable. That is such a great location.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 10th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Interesting nugget from the Business Journal story:
Mortenson also worked with Summit on a downtown deal that didn't come together. The companies teamed up to pitch a $63 million, 300-room hotel project dual-branded as AC by Marriott and SpringHill Suites by Marriott on a development site above a parking ramp being built next to the new Vikings stadium. The AC by Marriott hotel would have been the first of its kind in Minnesota.
I wonder if they could reboot that plan for this location?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 10th, 2014, 5:15 pm

^^^Yes that sounds like a good bet on what may happen here.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 10th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Hennepin should complement and there is no excuse for empty store fronts. The empty Chevys Tex Mex is just unexcusable. That is such a great location.
I have to believe that's partly because of the long-dead Block e on the same corner. That or the building owner is asking for unreasonable rent, or some other atypical situation is keeping the space vacant. I'm sure we all agree it is a prime location. Seven seems to do very well.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » June 10th, 2014, 8:45 pm

I have to believe that's partly because of the long-dead Block e on the same corner. That or the building owner is asking for unreasonable rent, or some other atypical situation is keeping the space vacant. I'm sure we all agree it is a prime location. Seven seems to do very well.

I wish a classy cocktail bar and gallery space would move into that corner.