AC Marriott Hotel - 401 Hennepin Ave (Andrews Hotel site)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Re: AC Marriott Hotel (401 Hennepin Ave / Andrews Hotel site

Postby Archiapolis » June 30th, 2015, 7:35 am

Yeah, that renovation work they did... they didn't really do it, right?
Let's hope that the entire block gets a refresh...

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 30th, 2015, 7:48 am

Isn't the grittiness of that block what so many people miss about downtown? That we've scrubbed too much of it clean already?
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 30th, 2015, 9:21 am

There's a fine line between striving for gritty authenticity and being a cheap ass that doesn't properly maintain a beautiful old building.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 30th, 2015, 9:55 am

I guess as far as I'm concerned, the desirable gritty feel is from the actual businesses. I'd be unhappy if the nightclubs, strip clubs, smoke shops, etc, were forced out, but that's no reason for a presumably successful business to let plywood continue to be a primary facade material.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

topher hoefer
Block E

Postby topher hoefer » June 30th, 2015, 11:33 am

Does the general population think that actual gay people run the 90s? I hope people know that it's owned and operated by the same guys that run Deja Vu and a bunch of other tacky establishments. At this point, they're giving us a bad name by having the most recognizable gay bar in the city also be the dumpiest. The cool old historic gay 90s is now a total sh!thole and the owners never put any money into it (or the community, for that matter).

Let it be known, I guess, that the 90s can disappear with little or no loss to most of the LGBT folks in this town. I won't be suprised when the first offer from a developer gives AC a new neightbor to the west.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 30th, 2015, 12:14 pm

The Bloom family sold it years ago to the Sneeky Pete people. So no it is not gay owned anymore. I know that the 90's has used historic tax credits for some exterior work in the past to fix the terra cotta, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to take down that building. Not sure if it is part of the historic district or not. The building itself could be fixed up very nicely, if and when the 90's were to leave. I have not been to the 90's for over a decade so I'm not sure what type of cash flow they would be giving up to sell the 90's. It is the largest of the gay bars in town and I find it hard to believe that it is losing or not making a decent return on their money.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 30th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 30th, 2015, 12:42 pm

The owner hasn't followed through on their much talked about updates to the inside or outside. But they have made improvements (albeit not nearly enough) to the inside. The upstairs back lounge has held up nicely from the redo several years ago (I was there Friday night). The LaFemme Lounge (where the drag show takes place) does well and the stage is good. The downstairs main dance floor has had a recent update as well. It looks a lot better than it has in 20 years. But, I wish they'd do more, as I think we all do. It's pretty clear that the place makes money - so the owners may not feel it necessary to invest. Hard to say. But if there's a line every weekend, of people willing to pay a cover, the show will go on - whether the inside is shitty or not.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if they changed themes or closed, as I think another bar with a drag review would open elsewhere. But whether it's gay owned or not, the 90s is host to the largest drag review in the Midwest.

But this is very off-topic.
I do think that the new AC Marriott will change the dynamics of this intersection a lot. Much the way that Nic on 5th, Marq4 and the new Xcel HQ are changing things a block east.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 7th, 2015, 6:48 pm

Looks like there will be no basement what so ever. Going by today a majority of the lot was dozed flat with stakes making out what ever, columns, footings, etc. Still barely anything done of real significance.

sanguinic
Metrodome

Postby sanguinic » July 19th, 2015, 7:50 am

Drove past the site today (I'd post a picture, but that's not easy to do on this forum). The usual banners are up on the chain link fence that surrounds the construction site (contractor name, hotel logo, that kind of thing), but none bear an image of the project. That's never a good sign, right? To me it's the equivalent of movies that open without any previews for critics.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » July 19th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Yes. I think something sneaky is going on here.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » July 19th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Most likely just like the Hampton, no basement. They'll dig out spots for footings and that's it.

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » July 19th, 2015, 9:18 pm

Yes. I think something sneaky is going on here.

That's because they are going to surprise us with a 900ft. tower! Just you wait and see! :o

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » July 19th, 2015, 10:37 pm

Most likely just like the Hampton, no basement. They'll dig out spots for footings and that's it.
I drove by on Friday and it looked like piles for the footings had already been driven. But yes, no basement.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 28th, 2015, 11:09 pm

Or you can go on the website and see one

Newer night rendering, not done in sketchup.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 29th, 2015, 8:06 am

I'm concerned we'll see what we've seen on lots of other renderings vs. reality.... a facade that looks like it has depth is completely flat (peel & stick windows, etc) when finished. And there's barely any depth here other than what looks like an old-school protruding elevator shaft. At least add some sort of cornice detail, or a few balconies, or something. Yikes. That said, I'm thankful this will no longer be an ugly surface parking lot.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 29th, 2015, 9:17 am

But now instead of having something that's 2-dimensional and ugly, we'll have something that's 3-dimensional and ugly.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 29th, 2015, 9:18 am

I think that is the best rendering that I have seen of this building. But I will echo Matt's observations as well. While I've gotten more used to the lighter stone north end that is more fitting with 4th streets neighbors, and the dark brick that is closer to the Lumber Exchanges exterior, I am very sad that this will be a VERY one dimensional façade. Other than the elevator tower, there is no set back with the windows, which the buildings around it has. There is no other items that give this building any real character which its neighbors all have. Even the nasty 90's across the street has more and better character lines that this.

I'm happy that they are filling a hole in the urban fabric, but with just a bit more work this could have been an excellent project instead of a ho hum project. Cause you know that instead of limestone they will use concrete,will be pre precast brick panels for the dark portion. Xcel has shown that todays projects are done on the "Value engineering path" instead of aesthetics to last a few decades.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 29th, 2015, 9:32 am

Isn't there a cornice on the dark (Hennepin) side? It's hard to tell at that size, but it looks like it.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » July 29th, 2015, 9:57 am