AC Marriott Hotel - 401 Hennepin Ave (Andrews Hotel site)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Andrews Hotel site (4th & Hennepin)

Postby lordmoke » November 6th, 2014, 3:55 pm

From the CPC CoW:
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 133541.pdf

244 room Marriot AC hotel. 10 stories.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » November 6th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Meh, could they at least come up with a new color scheme?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 6th, 2014, 4:09 pm

I'm all for this parking lot going away!
I had expected a little bit more... not exactly sure of what - but eh, I'll take the infill.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 6th, 2014, 4:17 pm

The Lumber Exchange deserves a better neighbor.

This has driveways/ curb cuts on both Hennepin and 4th.

It also amuses me that we demolished a hotel of this exact size on this exact site and let it sit vacant for 20+ years in between. It's better than a parking lot, for what that's worth.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 6th, 2014, 4:19 pm

So this is pretty much Mortenson's downtown east hotel project transplanted to hennepin? A decent infill project I guess.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » November 6th, 2014, 4:23 pm

Those rooms along Hennepin will be great to watch the Pride Parade from! I've spent a few years watching from The Chambers and they are absolutely the best seats on the route. I don't love it, I don't hate it... it'll do.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 6th, 2014, 5:01 pm

I like this rendering angle better.
Seems to "fit in" better I think.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 6th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Does that rendering show 4marq with a slightly updated color scheme? Some random stripes and such?

I don't hate this either I think it'll fill a good place in our hotel market and the design isn't terrible. It definitely compliments the more modern buildings around it rather than the lumber exchange.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 6th, 2014, 6:02 pm

Reminds me too much of the Hampton Inn. Can't we have some variety? The biggest problem is the facade is too flat and looks strange next to the Lumber Exchange. It needs a more three dimensional quality to complement the highly sculptural exterior of its Romanesque neighbor. Can't they use real stone/brick etc. for the whole building? This site has civic importance that goes beyond just a developer building it as cheaply as possible. This is a very visible site next to one of few remaining great historical buildings downtown.

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Postby AccordGuy » November 6th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Reminds me too much of the Hampton Inn. Can't we have some variety? The biggest problem is the facade is too flat and looks strange next to the Lumber Exchange. It needs a more three dimensional quality to complement the highly sculptural exterior of its Romanesque neighbor. Can't they use real stone/brick etc. for the whole building? This site has civic importance that goes beyond just a developer building it as cheaply as possible. This is a very visible site next to one of few remaining great historical buildings downtown.
Agreed. It is nice to see another surface lot bite the dust, and it shows confidence in our economy that another hotel is being proposed, but it looks harsh next to the Lumber Exchange.
Born in Minneapolis.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 6th, 2014, 6:44 pm

I can see there being tension just being on Hennepin near the entertainment district... gotta fit in with that just right.

Plus there is tension being right adjacent to the Lumber Exchange, gotta fit in with that just right.

Don't envy them finding the balance.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 6th, 2014, 6:46 pm

I was excited when i saw this news but the rendering is disappointing. I wish money was no object and the architects could dream. it is a smaller site but....

it's serves it's purpose and is replacing surface parking.

i guess we have to wait for a possible convention center hotel to get something really awesome, hotel wise. we're deserving of a grand hotel similar to the JW Marriott in Indianapolis.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 6th, 2014, 6:52 pm

I can see there being tension just being on Hennepin near the entertainment district... gotta fit in with that just right.

Plus there is tension being right adjacent to the Lumber Exchange, gotta fit in with that just right.

Don't envy them finding the balance.
Well, its very similar in design of the Hampton Inn, so I'm not thinking it wasn't too hard for Mortenson to find the right balance ;)

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 6th, 2014, 7:11 pm

I like this rendering angle better.
Seems to "fit in" better I think.

I'm kind of confused that they found a model of 4Marq to drop into this rendering, but not the new Xcel building.

As for the hotel itself... meh. They're asking for a few variances, maybe the CPC can use them as leverage to get them to bump up the design a couple notches? It mostly bugs me that it, like mullen said, looks almost exactly like the new Hampton Inn.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 6th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Wow, a ten story dud.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » November 6th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Looks like the Nic on 5th minus the tower.

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » November 6th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Wow, classy... does AC mean that it's air conditioned? Probably will have color TV too.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » November 6th, 2014, 10:03 pm

I'd rather not see it developed if getting this is the answer. Holy Ugh is this building hideous. It's worse than the Hampton Inn. That actually works with it's surroundings. This has no relationship to anything near it. I'm thinking Mortenson has some awfully poor designers that live in the 80's with their hot tub time machine.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » November 7th, 2014, 2:05 am

The color of one bland facade sorta matches the color of the Library. The color of the other bland facade sorta matches the color of the Lumber Exchange. This insincere nod to context is more painful than doing nothing at all. The lack of height relationships to the Lumber Exchange is a big problem, and in my humble opinion the building would be much improved by addressing this, perhaps by slightly altering the building height and adding a cornice that exactly matches the eighth floor level of the Lumber Exchange. Perhaps a subsidiary cornice or color band that exactly matches the fourth floor level of the Lumber Exchange? Could a design element be created on the south end of the Hennepin Avenue facade that would align with the top of the first floor of the Lumber Exchange, moderating the large difference in first-floor heights?

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » November 7th, 2014, 3:16 am

Meh, could they at least come up with a new color scheme?
I had expected a little bit more...
The Lumber Exchange deserves a better neighbor.
A decent infill project I guess.
I don't love it, I don't hate it... it'll do.
I don't hate this either I think it'll fill a good place in our hotel market and the design isn't terrible.
Reminds me too much of the Hampton Inn. Can't we have some variety?
...but it looks harsh next to the Lumber Exchange.
I was excited when i saw this news but the rendering is disappointing. I wish money was no object and the architects could dream. we're deserving of a grand hotel similar to the JW Marriott in Indianapolis.
As for the hotel itself... meh.
Wow, a ten story dud.
I'd rather not see it developed if getting this is the answer. Holy Ugh is this building hideous.
This insincere nod to context is more painful than doing nothing at all. The lack of height relationships to the Lumber Exchange is a big problem...
...is it just me or is the New trend in Urban planning to instantly hate everything, complain about any budgeted design, and ridicule any project developer's vision unless they design a building that spare no expense as they ignore everything they learned in businesses.

I think the height does a great job at leaving view of the exposed brick on the Lumber Exchange, allowing for people to appreciate the look of the older building (which so many fuss about when we tear them down). Plus the height won't tower over the 90's (like LPM towers over Jungle Red) Plus it will fill an empty parking lot and will block the view of the older parking ramp. This project will greatly improve Hennepin Ave. Plus add some hotel rooms right on the "Hennepin Strip".

I don't think most of you are true urbanists, but instead architecturalist seeking designs over function and reality. This building will fit into the community well, and fill a hole. Walking downtown barhopping and ending up at a decent hotel will greatly enhance peoples experience downtown. Instead some of you suggest we should reject this project and keep it a parking lot because it is not grand enough and not tall enough? Supply and Demand be dammed! I guess we could build 1,000 ft. tall buildings on every parking lot! :roll: