RBC Gateway & Four Seasons - 37 stories - 519'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Bnelly7896
Block E

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby Bnelly7896 » April 6th, 2016, 10:25 am

1,700 sqft apartments on average... Can't imagine there are many studio/1BDs... Does each unit have a balcony? Any mention of a gym and the size?

Really wish those top 2 "faux" floors under the spire were converted into a communal party space for residents.

Also, don't like that the rooftop pool is enclosed by walls on either side. Would like to see them raise the deck one level and utilize the space above the ballroom as well. Maybe a garden, more space to lay out, dog run, etc.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 6th, 2016, 10:49 am

Most of the units are 2 bedrooms, they are marketing towards boomers who still need room for furniture and guests.

There is a rooftop terrace on floor 3* but that hadn't really been fleshed out yet.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 6th, 2016, 10:56 am

A well dressed man in a suit repetively and confrontationally asked if the retail space could be made 13k SF from the current 11k. That was interesting and odd.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 6th, 2016, 11:19 am

Yeah, that was weird!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 6th, 2016, 11:19 am

13k sf is the minimum for a national pharmacy chain, I think.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 6th, 2016, 11:31 am

I think that was Brock Dombrovski, producer of "Minnesota Nice" on Fox 9.

I looked through the RSVPs on Facebook and recognized his face and hair. Then I saw that he works with Fox 9 and it was right after Matt asked the question about whether Fox 9 or Kare 11 had some interest in this space.

Look familiar?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 6th, 2016, 12:53 pm

Welp, I can't unsee that promo shot now. Barf.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » April 6th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Should look good from Target Field.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » April 6th, 2016, 9:14 pm

I think that was Brock Dombrovski, producer of "Minnesota Nice" on Fox 9.

I looked through the RSVPs on Facebook and recognized his face and hair. Then I saw that he works with Fox 9 and it was right after Matt asked the question about whether Fox 9 or Kare 11 had some interest in this space.

Look familiar?

That was for sure him.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » April 8th, 2016, 9:59 am

I feel like this proposal is one or two changes away from being truly great. To me it lacks some grace as it comes towards the crown and spire. It just feels boxy compared to elegant. I would also like to see floors continue up towards the spire tapering compared to the current glass "crown".

I'm not sure what to think of the ground floor retail but I think that's because we haven't seen enough rendering and details to get a firm idea what it's going to be like.

All in all this is one of the best proposals we've seen for the site and would be very pleased if the current plan is built.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » April 10th, 2016, 4:37 am

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » April 10th, 2016, 8:10 am

Would you be able to do another model of the last photo but with Xcel Hq, Marq 4 and Ritz block development all added in? That looks a bit outdated. Oh and maybe the new Hennepin developments like the 1/2 block between 222 and the Federal building.. and the 1/2 block just across Henn. from Gateway. That be neat to see how tall it will be in relations to the other buildings in the area.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » April 10th, 2016, 8:51 am

Would you be able to do another model of the last photo but with Xcel Hq, Marq 4 and Ritz block development all added in? That looks a bit outdated. Oh and maybe the new Hennepin developments like the 1/2 block between 222 and the Federal building.. and the 1/2 block just across Henn. from Gateway. That be neat to see how tall it will be in relations to the other buildings in the area.
click the link at the bottom of my post. download all the models you wish. view them in google earth.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » April 10th, 2016, 9:59 am

the power, to load 5+ models into google earth and navigate around an imaginary minneapolis to take pictures, far exceeds my computer.

Here's the best I can do with an hour and 8 gb of ram:

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 10th, 2016, 1:21 pm

So, based on that model, at least, what's the roof height of the Gateway? Or, I guess the height of the roof screen, since that's what you see? At the meeting, they just said that the spire was 530', and that it was "several stories" high.

Edit: Sketchup is free, I can totally do that myself. 380' to the top of the highest actual floor, 425' to the top of the roof screen.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » August 12th, 2016, 8:44 am

I don't believe it was there previously, but there is a new(?) trailer on site along Hennepin. Is work beginning on this?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 12th, 2016, 8:57 am

This project is far from being underway. While preliminary plans have been shared at various neighborhood meetings, and there's a framework for the land sale, I am absolutely certain it hasn't been approved by the Planning Commission, and I'm medium-certain that the land sale deal has not actually been completed yet. This is definitely not breaking ground in 2016.

Some info from the previous page:
United Properties expects the 30- to 36-month construction project could start at the end of 2017 and be complete in 2020. ..... From biz journal
Found the term sheet on the city website.

Deadlines:
Land use applications submitted (12 months after term sheet approval) January 2017.

Property closing (18 months ATSA, or 24 months for an additional 400k fee): July 2017/January 2018)

Construction start (3 months after closing):
October 2017/April 2018

Construction Complete (30 months after construction start): April 2020/October 2020

So, hopefully he was just being overly conservative about timing last night.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: United Properties / Four Seasons "Gateway" Project (Nicollet Hotel Block)

Postby bapster2006 » November 22nd, 2016, 6:35 pm

Perkins + Will took the 900 foot tower to Atlanta:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news ... ny.html#g2

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » December 30th, 2016, 9:39 pm

More time for United Properties to secure financing, reference of increasing height to 40 floors, after decreasing it from 36 to 30...

http://www.startribune.com/united-prope ... 408859795/

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » December 31st, 2016, 1:05 am

I'm just going to repeat myself from another forum:

It's a juggling act with the FARs, but I can't imagine that a 40, 50, or 60-story building at this location wouldn't be profitable over a 75-year lifespan. It just seems that half the issue is the short-term gain of a project. Which doesn't make sense on balance. That's because investors want immediate return, even if it hurts their long-term bottom line. And that focus on short-term gain is a major factor that ruins cities. (e.g. the AC Hotel.)

Architecture is a long game. But I will posit that striking, progressive architecture - design that captures the imagination - will produce short-term gains as well. United Properties may not have the guts to invest in a truly (dare I say it?) iconic tower here. And they will be the poorer for it.

I would bet the Farm that if United spent an additional $5 million in design fees to, say, Santiago Calatrava or Renzo Piano, they would be able to sell this building in 10 years for $15 million more than if ESG had designed it.

(Sorry ESG, I'm just using you as the whipping boy. :))

Does nobody understand the power of great design??? Would the IDS Tower have sold for $253 million in 2013 had Joe Blow designed a stock office building that looked like City Center? NO. The IDS is a Work of Art in the world of architecture. And any developer who won't go out on a limb to invest in great design is a fool.

Bottom line is this: Great Design Sells. Great Design is Profitable.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato