gahwi003
Metrodome

RBC Gateway & Four Seasons - 37 stories - 519'

Postby gahwi003 » January 29th, 2014, 8:16 pm

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block/800 Washington

Postby Tcmetro » January 29th, 2014, 8:35 pm

This could be interesting if the requirement no longer exists for the bus layover. I would like to see the streetcar incorporated into the building. It would be interesting if the Streetcar could have a station similar to Central Station in Saint Paul, with the building built around it.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » January 29th, 2014, 8:53 pm

So the park idea for this block is being scrapped?

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » January 29th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Sounds like the city still wants any possible development to include green space, but it may no longer be the entire block. Not surprising considering the new park going up in DTE and funding issues for that park. Also - the North Loop still has plans to build a park as well. Still - the more green space in my book the better and I am sure the other developments around that block were touting a possible new park within view of all those expensive apartments/condos.

I am hopeful Peavy Plaza is rebuilt soon. The central business district still needs a greener public space.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 29th, 2014, 10:10 pm

Not that I'm suggesting that this will happen, but it's worth remembering that the city put out an RFP for the site next to the Guthrie, and the good Dr. McGuire replied to the RFP with a proposal to turn the site into Gold Medal Park. Whenever the Nicollet Hotel site has been discussed as a park, there's always been mention of private donors and a public-private partnership. So, the RFP doesn't necessarily mean that the park is out.

(We should split off the 800 Washington part of this because there's already a thread for that elsewhere.)

John
Capella Tower

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby John » January 29th, 2014, 10:55 pm

Wow, A remarkable domino effect in development seems imminent in this part of downtown! I agree there should be some green space connection from Nicollet Mall to the North Loop, Hennepin Ave, and the river. But having some commercial development on this block (with retail at the base) would nicely strengthen both Nicollet Mall and the Hennepin/Washington Ave intersection to create a truly urban and bustling neighborhood.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 29th, 2014, 11:33 pm

Not that I'm suggesting that this will happen, but it's worth remembering that the city put out an RFP for the site next to the Guthrie, and the good Dr. McGuire replied to the RFP with a proposal to turn the site into Gold Medal Park. Whenever the Nicollet Hotel site has been discussed as a park, there's always been mention of private donors and a public-private partnership. So, the RFP doesn't necessarily mean that the park is out.
Indeed, there's already a privately owned public park across the street.

What I'd like to see would be two triangular buildings with the streetcar cutting through the block, like that one proposal for the Downtown East Station block someone posted an image of somewhere.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 29th, 2014, 11:36 pm

That sure would solve some routing problems, wouldn't it?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 30th, 2014, 12:08 am

Reserve 25' on Nicollet and divide the remaining parcel into 2 lots.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 30th, 2014, 11:13 am

Reserve 25' on Nicollet and divide the remaining parcel into 2 lots.
I like that idea a lot!

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » February 11th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Could we get one of those fancy Apple stores here (or anywhere else downtown)? You know, with all the glass and nothing else. They seem to be a sort've big deal in cities and we don't have one yet (Uptown doesn't count). This seems like it could be a good location, right? Could be nice with some green space surrounding it, connecting Nicollet with Hennepin/the river. Although the block could probably use more substantial development as well..

Maybe not, I don't know. But it's an idea. I do think we should have one somewhere, though. San Fran is getting a new one.. (that's why I thought of it).

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » February 11th, 2014, 1:03 pm

I think having an Uptown and Downtown Apple store may be a bit too close for their business model, but who knows. There are a ton of ad agencies in this area (big Mac users) and with the DT workforce and residential numbers, maybe it's viable.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 11th, 2014, 1:10 pm

I think having an Uptown and Downtown Apple store may be a bit too close for their business model,
Not to mention it would screw over First Tech even more, not that Apple cares at all about one of its first and most loyal retail and service dealers.

nonxtian
Block E

Postby nonxtian » February 11th, 2014, 4:19 pm

I've been thinking an Apple store would look great in the Brunsfield retail space with all the glass there. Probably not enough foot traffic around there yet to justify it though.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 11th, 2014, 11:06 pm

I was thinking Apple Store in the Eclipse project at Washington & Hennepin. It's the only thing that could justify that much parking ;)

Seriously though, I would fully be on board with Downtown luring Apple away from Uptown. The current space would find another tenant in a heartbeat with those massive windows.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 11th, 2014, 11:13 pm

Or there could be two... or there could be one in Uptown and one in NE to support the U

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 11th, 2014, 11:26 pm

Would a downtown Apple store really be direct competition with an Uptown store any more than it would be direct competition with the Mall of America or Rosedale Apple stores?

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » February 12th, 2014, 11:02 am

We should just rename the city Appleapolis and put a store on every corner.
"Who rescued whom!"

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » February 12th, 2014, 11:46 am

Why are we talking about Apple? Their stores are nice, but an Apple store would do much better if it was located on the first floor of the City Center.

Back to the main topic. I like the idea of having two buildings with a streetcar or pedestrian walk way between them. It would allow for a unique space for retail or a cafe with outdoor seating.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.410596, ... LralTw!2e0

While we all want tall buildings that reach for the sky, Minneapolis really needs developments which focus all of their attention on the street presence.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 12th, 2014, 11:50 am

Back to the main topic. I like the idea of having two buildings with a streetcar or pedestrian walk way between them. It would allow for a unique space for retail or a cafe with outdoor seating.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.410596, ... LralTw!2e0
Well that certainly is unique. I feel bad for the poor bastard who got smooshed into the street.