Mayo Clinic Square

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Mayo Clinic Square

Postby EOst » August 24th, 2017, 9:16 am

One possible explanation (and I don't know if this had anything to do with it; it's just a guess) would be the heightened security climate in general post-9/11 -- more law enforcement visibility, more surveillance, more attention to building security, etc.
Maybe, but this was a trend (at least nationally; I don't have earlier Mpls data) that began in the early 90s. There are some who say environmental lead poisoning explains it.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » August 24th, 2017, 9:24 am

Most of the variation in crime rates that we've seen in the last 70 years or so is from the spread and then reduction in use of leaded gasoline. #LeadCrimeHypothesis http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... en-health/

Edit: EOst beat me to it. :)

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 24th, 2017, 10:02 am

The MN Daily has an article about how a 1/3 of the Minneapolis general fund. goes to policing. At this point, it seems like we might need to find some better and more cost effective solutions. Given, that I volunteer with youth organizations in North and South Minneapolis I must say you can't beat getting the kids off the street during the summer and evenings, giving them a meal and caring adults to make the lives easier for the children and their overwhelmed parents.

"The total amount of money allocated directly to police comes to $163.2 million, not including the allocations to the district attorney, city courts and probation and parole services, institutions which also discipline, she said"

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017/07/ ... lis-police

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » August 25th, 2017, 8:07 am

Shouldn't we do what London has done... add hundreds if not thousands of cc cameras all over downtown on streets, entry / exit to downtown and major sidewalk areas... and then promote the heck out of it...

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 25th, 2017, 8:18 am

No.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » August 25th, 2017, 9:16 am

No.
Yeah, I'm not sure I really want the hyper surveillance state.

That said, I don't see any controversial issue if private entities (say the Downtown Council) installed a whole slew of cameras on buildings in areas that have had problems. I'm not even sure it would be that expensive.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 25th, 2017, 9:40 am

I don't think it would be. The Xcel buildings have cameras all around, which is fine. The floodlights and speakers which they use to harass people until they go away... less so.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 3rd, 2017, 8:13 pm

There was just a shooting in front of Seven on Henn. Some people still going to downplay these incidents? Ugh, so embarrassing and such a disappointment:(

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 3rd, 2017, 9:41 pm

No. The world is ending. Everyone in Minneapolis should move to St. Bonifacius to escape the carnage.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 4th, 2017, 11:12 am

Probably :D

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » September 4th, 2017, 2:53 pm

There was just a shooting in front of Seven on Henn. Some people still going to downplay these incidents? Ugh, so embarrassing and such a disappointment:(
I am also embarrassed. We need the national guard sent in, this is the most pressing issue for our nation. Anything less is a major disappointment. I'm glad we agree.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 4th, 2017, 3:35 pm

There must be a better thread for downtown sidewalk crime.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 8th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Looks like City Works abruptly closed today.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]