Mayo Clinic Square

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Mayo Clinic Square

Postby John » October 9th, 2014, 6:44 am

I'm not quite sure whether its the real thing or faux either. Whatever the case, I think it most likely looks better in person and it will work well as the exterior base for this project.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 9th, 2014, 6:51 am

I sat in the Starbucks and watched them unload it off pallets from Vetter Stone who owns the quarry down in Alabama but ships massive cubes of it up to Mankato to cut it. Seriously people. It's real.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 9th, 2014, 6:54 am

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 9th, 2014, 6:56 am

I sat in the Starbucks and watched them unload it off pallets from Vetter Stone who owns the quarry down in Alabama but ships massive cubes of it up to Mankato to cut it. Seriously people. It's real.
I'm a happy to hear that . It's not very often we see real stone used in projects these days!

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » October 9th, 2014, 7:27 am

That Alabama Stone reminds me of the stone they have on the Mayo Building in Rochester.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 9th, 2014, 7:32 am

That Alabama Stone reminds me of the stone they have on the Mayo Building in Rochester.
I think you may be on to something..... :idea:

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 9th, 2014, 7:38 am

While there are some similarities to the marble on mayo, my main assumption as to why were seeing this product on newer projects like orchestra hall is that now that vetter owns that quarry the Alabama limestone is cheaper and prettier than Indiana limestone and more durable and almost half the cost of Minnesota dolomite.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 9th, 2014, 7:46 am

Dolomite sounds like some made up mineral that Captain Kirk needs to secure to prevent an outbreak of the Praxian Flu on Minos 8

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 9th, 2014, 7:48 am

Lol well he can come on home and get it the whole southern part of the state is a dolomitic shelf. Winona Travertine is from the same formation but isn't very good for commercial construction

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 9th, 2014, 8:34 am

Actually, it turns out dolamiDe is a chemical based energy source: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Dolamide

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » October 9th, 2014, 9:40 am

I think the Mayo building uses stone from Indiana, could be wrong. I do know that one of the buildings is outfitted to go taller. And I have heard they have that same stone in a field somewhere to get the natural exposure to the elements in case they do decide to build up.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 9th, 2014, 10:52 am

I'd suspect that the main reason the Alabama stone is popular is simply because it looks "right" with the au courant design sensibilities.

Also, did somebody say Dolemite?

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » October 9th, 2014, 5:27 pm

I think the Mayo building uses stone from Indiana, could be wrong. I do know that one of the buildings is outfitted to go taller. And I have heard they have that same stone in a field somewhere to get the natural exposure to the elements in case they do decide to build up.
That's the Gonda Building that is built to add height. The Mayo actually was half of it's current height when first completed.

October 9th, 2014, 7:32 am
Minneboy wrote:

I think you may be on to something..... :idea: If that's sarcasm it's not really very funny but I know some people need to do so.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 20th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Kieran's is experiencing a significant loss in revenue and is suing Alatus:
http://www.startribune.com/business/279847282.html

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 21st, 2014, 6:23 am

I hope they also listed the MN Twins' in their complaint ;) With another losing season on the way in 2015 (making it 5 in a row), I'd be surprised if both Kieran's and O'Donovans were able to pull through. Twins traffic has to be an enormous component of their sales. Hopefully the T-wolves return to relevance will boost winter sales for Kieran's and others in the area.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » October 21st, 2014, 7:51 am

O'Donovans, maybe, but Kieran's should have no problem staying in business even if the Twins traffic is down. They keep a good crowd going through there and the patio is (before construction) always packed when it's nice out.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 21st, 2014, 7:59 am

I hope they also listed the MN Twins' in their complaint ;) With another losing season on the way in 2015 (making it 5 in a row), I'd be surprised if both Kieran's and O'Donovans were able to pull through. Twins traffic has to be an enormous component of their sales. Hopefully the T-wolves return to relevance will boost winter sales for Kieran's and others in the area.
I thought the Wolves actually averaged pretty high attendance figures -- north of 16,000 per game last year? The Twins, however, could increase their attendance by 50%-100% with a winning (or at least semi-interesting) squad. I wonder how MLS would play into all of this...

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 21st, 2014, 12:14 pm

The Timberwolves officially averaged 14,564 fans, or 75 percent of capacity, but those official numbers are laughable. The Twins officially averaged 27,785 fans, or about 70 percent of capacity. As Patrick Reusse pointed out on Sunday, though, there are a variety of factors (in addition to losing) that indicate Twins attendance could drop by a lot next season.

Also, I can't imagine the Timberwolves have close to the impact of the Twins on local restaurants, especially patio-centric Kieran's, since the NBA season is in the winter and the nearby parking lots have direct skyway access to Target Center.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 7th, 2014, 7:32 pm

The Shout House moved to 5th St. sometime this week. I really hope they manage to fill this place back up.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 17th, 2014, 7:13 am