Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby mattaudio » September 19th, 2014, 11:53 am

Last minute finagling isn't a good omen for when they decide to develop the other land they control.

mrcity

Postby mrcity » September 19th, 2014, 12:12 pm

But the Ryan team's proposal still has a very vague timeline. Even though the Vikings proposal is smaller and crappier in regards to tax revenue, they are planning to finish in time for the 2016 stadium opening. I think the Star Tribune article it mentioned Ryan's plan might not be finished until well after 2018 (if at all) - and that Ryan could wait up to 4 or so years to make a decision about construction.... It seems like there are a lot of negotiating details left out of the public eye....Hmmmmm.....

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 19th, 2014, 12:34 pm

Roper has a picture of the Viking's term sheet. Note especially the 4th bullet point, which says they would agree to restrict use of the added parking stalls during events.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 19th, 2014, 12:50 pm

that's also a big difference in upfront money that could be used right away for the park's development.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 19th, 2014, 10:50 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/

According to the article the Vikings (or the Wilf's?) are tryiing to dictate how tall Ryan's tower can be in order to maximize the stadium's prominence (article states that Ryan is vying for a tower of 35 floors, in case that wasn't known already).
The Vikings have said they are predominantly worried the entire development may not be complete before the stadium opens in fall 2016. But Lester Bagley, the team’s vice president, said Friday they also have problems with the height of Ryan’s tower. The Vikings’ proposed building had a maximum height of 18 stories — compared with Ryan’s 35.

“The height is an issue to us and to our architectural experts,” Bagley said. “We want to have a building that’s in context and scale with the Wells Fargo buildings and others in that area.”
Other buildings like your stadium? Can you believe this BS? I love the Vikings (team) but their ownership is out of control crazy/stupid!
Last edited by min-chi-cbus on September 19th, 2014, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 19th, 2014, 10:57 pm

Almost half or more of the NFL owners are complete asshats

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 19th, 2014, 10:58 pm

That's very true -- people with that much money are usually either incredibly genuine and helpful or asshats.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » September 20th, 2014, 12:03 am

I think that most of us are sort of over the Vikings and the Wilfs... he is a total douche bag in terms of "being all about Minnesota" and then really only wanting to support things that serve his business interests. They repeated that they had very little money but have miraculously found millions for 1200 additional flat screen TVs and other luxury features to the stadium... having them screw around with major developments just to either have their (or is it ours since we are paying more for it) ... the Wilf's ego is ridiculous and I think we are just about done... He would have moved the team to LA for the money... it is just a business - a non-profit business that pays no taxes... and loyalty is meaningless to him or the other "asshats"...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 20th, 2014, 5:32 am

Could the Council pass a resolution encouraging the tower to be as tall as possible to overshadow the ugly stadium? Please?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 20th, 2014, 9:29 am

The NFL has some major branding issues right now. I don't see it blowing over soon. The flame may go down, but we all know they have the ability to flare it up at anytime and to make it even worse than it is now. The Vikings have done enough damage to their brand already this year, I didn't think they will want the bad PR of picking a fight with the city and Ryan over the height of this building. The Wilf's public opinion ratings right now has to be pretty low.

I want to know from what vantage point this building is going to block the view of the stadium. Maybe from the point where you are driving in on 94 from Brooklyn Park, but you already have the Carlyle and Riverwest are taller. From the west and south west you will not see the stadium due to the present skyline. He wants air rights he can buy them like any other and pay taxes on those rights too. This is not a stand alone stadium on the prairie. It is part of the city and we in MPLS have a right to build taxable towers all around this stadium. Build it tall and get all the taxable square footage out of it.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 20th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Could "in context to the surrounding buildings" really mean that they want that highest point of the stadium to be the tallest spot on that end of town. The Vikings proposal at 18 stories is the same as the Wells Fargo towers. (Right?)

How tall (in stories) would that point be on the stadium??

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » September 20th, 2014, 3:45 pm

Could "in context to the surrounding buildings" really mean that they want that highest point of the stadium to be the tallest spot on that end of town. The Vikings proposal at 18 stories is the same as the Wells Fargo towers. (Right?)

How tall (in stories) would that point be on the stadium??
The original images from ryan/magellan show approx 28 floors (?) and 312 feet.

This is what the vikings proposed in its place:

In the mean time Ryan and Magellan are refining their proposal... adding at least 7 more floors (up to 35) and probably another 70-100 ft.

So... it looks like this:
WF towers are 301 ft.
Vikings Stadium is 272 ft.
vikings rejected proposal for parking ramp air rights looked to be around 240 ft.
My guess is that the Ryan/Magellan updated plan for the ramp will be around 380 ft.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » September 20th, 2014, 4:09 pm

I just noticed something....

here's the picture released by the vikings:

I thought the WF tower, pictured, had some very familiar quirks. Here's my model:

Notice the coloring of the reflected glass... window to window... it's exactly the same. If the vikings hired someone to create that model, that person and I would have had to both independently enter the same sizes for the blue glass pattern (40 ft) and the gold glass pattern (50 ft)... and then randomly place the tower's in the exact same position.

Also... notice the way the vertical columns of the tower meet the ground... in that art deco step fashion. I'm pretty sure I made that up as I was creating the model. It isn't shown in any pictures of the official project.

Maybe I'm just thinking highly of myself... but I think the vikings used my model.

***note... if you look in my collection (in my signature), the tower featured in these pictures is not the "Wells Fargo Towers" model. The model they used I believe was called "Wells Fargo Towers - East." I deleted it from my public collection (on the internet) a couple weeks ago... but I still have the file on my computer... and that's what you see above.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 21st, 2014, 9:31 am

Well I'm thankful for you and your sketchup models! But if they used yours without permission - that's some shady shade! And more reason why I think the Wilfs are truly asshats.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » September 22nd, 2014, 8:22 am

[quote="m b p"]

Maybe I'm just thinking highly of myself... but I think the vikings used my model.

[quote]

I think you're right. Here's how the process probably went down.

Vikings: a source tells us the city is upset with the slow pace of the Ryan development. We could swoop in and steal it out from under them. Let's hire ESG to come up with a quick design...and oh by the way, let's make it shorter than the stadium 8-)

Senior ESG person to Vikings: Sure, we'll come up with a quick design. We love working for new clients.
Senior ESG person to Midlevel ESG person: This doesn't have a chance in hell of actually happening. Don't spend any more than 10 hours on it.
Midlevel ESG person to Junior ESG person: We dont' have time to build our own sketchup model of the site, so go find one somewhere on the internet. Whatever you do, don't call Ryan and ask them for it. They're going to be pissed enough at us as is.
Junior ESG person: Oh hey, 3D Warehouse has one already made that looks pretty close. I'll drop this in there.

Zygi Wilf: Wow this is great architecture. It reminds me of a Ramada I developed in Hoboken on the Jersey Turnpike. The City Council will love this along with our inflated offer for the land.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 22nd, 2014, 8:55 am

It's like you were in the room, nate. Uncanny. WHAT ELSE DO YOU KNOW? Ha!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » September 22nd, 2014, 9:22 am

I think you're right. Here's how the process probably went down.

Vikings: a source tells us the city is upset with the slow pace of the Ryan development. We could swoop in and steal it out from under them. Let's hire ESG to come up with a quick design...and oh by the way, let's make it shorter than the stadium 8-)

Senior ESG person to Vikings: Sure, we'll come up with a quick design. We love working for new clients.
Senior ESG person to Midlevel ESG person: This doesn't have a chance in hell of actually happening. Don't spend any more than 10 hours on it.
Midlevel ESG person to Junior ESG person: We dont' have time to build our own sketchup model of the site, so go find one somewhere on the internet. Whatever you do, don't call Ryan and ask them for it. They're going to be pissed enough at us as is.
Junior ESG person: Oh hey, 3D Warehouse has one already made that looks pretty close. I'll drop this in there.

Zygi Wilf: Wow this is great architecture. It reminds me of a Ramada I developed in Hoboken on the Jersey Turnpike. The City Council will love this along with our inflated offer for the land.
NAILED IT!

By the way, almost ALL architecture firms that can find models for free on the internet will use them so this is just standard operating procedure.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 22nd, 2014, 10:01 am

Other buildings like your stadium? Can you believe this BS? I love the Vikings (team) but their ownership is out of control crazy/stupid!
They aren't stupid. This is how powerful people act. They push and shove and twist arms to get their way. If only more "ordinary" citizens would do so we could accomplish some incredible things.

What this shows is why powerful people spend so much money and effort on PR. Strong-arming only goes so far when you look bad doing it.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 22nd, 2014, 10:05 am

Sue for copyright infringement.

Seriously.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » September 22nd, 2014, 10:10 am

Sue for copyright infringement.

Seriously.
You can try the lawsuit thing, but I'm not sure what you're hoping to get out of it. An injunction? Moot. Damages? Can you show unjust enrichment or economic damage to you? Well, you might get a statutory reward, but unfortunately, a stern letter with reasonable demands would be a more logical place to start. Litigation? Expensive even if you win.