Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2014, 6:59 pm

^^^ It's too bad Mortenson couldn't develop a hotel with Ryan and Magellan's residential project above. Probably way too complicated in many ways. We may see something similar to this proposal at Hennepin and 4th.
There will be plenty of Hotel rooms within an easy distance either walking or talking the LRT to get to the game. This holds true of the Well Fargo towers too. Alatus has that property where the Press Box is that they have talked about putting a Hotel on. That would also be connected to the skyway system like Latitude and be an easy walk to WF and the stadium. Better to fill the holes on Hennepin where we need to really fill in. Warehouse station is 3 stops away.

CK76

Postby CK76 » September 30th, 2014, 10:29 am

Wow, that's sad and uninspiring.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 30th, 2014, 10:32 am

I think this could be a cool addition elsewhere downtown though. (but with more glass)
And less purple.

JordanWasaN
Block E

Postby JordanWasaN » September 30th, 2014, 2:37 pm

I think this could be a cool addition elsewhere downtown though. (but with more glass)
And less purple.
Moar purple.
We could call it the Targaryen building.

(Also, I could picture this along Nicollet in Loring. Perhaps the NE corner of 15th and Nic.)

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » October 2nd, 2014, 10:27 am

Are they digging in the parking lot now, or is that my eyes playing tricks on me? I was looking at the Aerial Vikings webcam and noticed.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 2nd, 2014, 10:35 am

Are they digging in the parking lot now, or is that my eyes playing tricks on me? I was looking at the Aerial Vikings webcam and noticed.
Not sure if they are digging for just testing. But there is a lot of construction material that is being stored at present on the site.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 2nd, 2014, 10:48 am

This angle shows the machinery that is stored on that block (and has been for months).

This (very bad) image does show something happening on the corner of 4th & Chicago, but not on the block.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 2nd, 2014, 12:25 pm

That area at 3rd to 4th on Chicago is actually some utility work on one side of the street. But it is at least a block long.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 6th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Not just utility work. Walked around it today, about half of the building is gone!

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 6th, 2014, 4:26 pm

Not just utility work. Walked around it today, about half of the building is gone!
Ah yes, I can see from the WF webcam they've started demo on the east side - so it's hard to see from the webcam.
Thanks for the update Grant!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 6th, 2014, 4:45 pm

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » October 7th, 2014, 6:52 am

I predict this will be gone by tomorrow afternoon.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » October 7th, 2014, 10:01 am

I don't know why, but I always kind of liked that building. I think it was its complete ordinariness that stood out - that once upon a time, even the meanest of buildings had some TLC put into them.

RIP boring little warehouse building.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 7th, 2014, 10:06 am

There were buildings in this area they tore down long before this one, those were much nicer

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » October 7th, 2014, 10:41 am

Sure it wasn't the Parthenon, but demolishing this old brick building and erecting a gigantic parking structure seems to me to be architectural vandalism of the worst sort.

Downtown East is drowning in parking, while historic brick buildings are its only irreplaceable asset. It's sad to see a city demolish its historical fabric in favor of a fundamentally anti-urban transportation mode. I thought we'd stopped doing that.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 7th, 2014, 10:42 am

I'm struck by how sad this demolition makes me as well. Sure seems like it would have been possible to reuse the façade, at the very least. Alas.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 7th, 2014, 10:44 am

Agreed, this sort of makes me sad too. That building will likely have more street presence than the new ramp. They could have carved out the inner part of that building for a parking ramp along with the other 3/4 of the block, but retained the 4th and Park block faces and 3 story "podium"... some tuckpointing, new 2nd/3rd floor windows, and new storefront glass and we could have easily had 8-10 storefronts on these two block faces.

GrowMPLS

Postby GrowMPLS » October 7th, 2014, 12:25 pm

I like your appreciation of the past.......but isn't a 25-25 story tower going to build here? Isn't that what the city just approved? I assume that building code for an early 1900s low rise probably wouldn't fly to support a 25-35 story building. Trying to incorporate the two would probably be an engineering nightmare.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 7th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Pragmatism. Tsk tsk.

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » October 7th, 2014, 1:06 pm

I agree that it is sad to see that building go away (though inevitable considering its location). Unfortunately there are a lot of nice old buildings that get demolished in this city and they disappear without any comment. Minneapolis has always been a knock-it-down town. :cry: