Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1581
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 16th, 2014, 10:11 am

mplsjaromir wrote:It's just regional dialect. More important than perfect textbook English.
-1

David Greene
IDS Center
Posts: 4761
Joined: December 4th, 2012, 11:41 am

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby David Greene » December 16th, 2014, 12:43 pm

mplsjaromir wrote:It's just regional dialect. More important than perfect textbook English.
Zing!

User avatar
Nathan
IDS Center
Posts: 4003
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 10:42 am

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby Nathan » December 16th, 2014, 12:53 pm

David Greene wrote:
mplsjaromir wrote:It's just regional dialect. More important than perfect textbook English.
Zing!
When ignorance zings it zings loud.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 165
Joined: July 23rd, 2014, 2:52 pm
Location: Highland Park

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby nfschauer » January 2nd, 2015, 11:02 am

So I drive by this daily and it appears they're always working/digging/pouring concrete. Are they just building the parking ramp portion for now? Or have they finalized any building atop the parking ramp?

twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6225
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby twincitizen » January 2nd, 2015, 1:50 pm

Plans for the air rights development have neither been fully revealed by Ryan nor approved by the city. Plans had to be altered after the hotel component fell through, but they never actually announced a final height or unit count.

MNdible
is great.
Posts: 5838
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby MNdible » January 2nd, 2015, 1:52 pm

My understanding is that they are building out the the parking structure with beefed up column lines where the future development would bear on the garage.

TTT
Metrodome
Posts: 74
Joined: October 15th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby TTT » January 5th, 2015, 1:16 pm

It's a real bummer no one is holding Ryan's feet to the fire on this project. The Vikings stadium is going to be iconic in design, and getting close to half-way finished and there are still no details on what is going up here.

helsinki
Landmark Center
Posts: 298
Joined: October 9th, 2012, 2:01 am

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby helsinki » January 5th, 2015, 3:42 pm

TTT wrote:It's a real bummer no one is holding Ryan's feet to the fire on this project. The Vikings stadium is going to be iconic in design, and getting close to half-way finished and there are still no details on what is going up here.

I agree. If nothing gets decided, there will simply be a monstrous parking ramp. And there will be really nothing like it in terms of scale in the vicinity except for the justifiably reviled Gateway ramp. Even the HCMC ramp is only a half-block, as is the Haaf ramp and the two ramps on the block between the Armory (itself a parking structure) and the Government Center.

It's a shame, too, because if Trader Joe's really does go in across 3rd street, this would be an even more desirable location for more residences than it already is. I have been following this development since its inception, and I am freshly tempted every time I read about it to bang my head against the wall for the sheer idiocy of building such a monster ramp across the street from the LRT station. Oh well.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower
Posts: 3785
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 6:59 am

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby Wedgeguy » January 5th, 2015, 3:49 pm

The Nicollet Hotel block will light a design fire under Ryan. They will have to have some great space and amenities to get people to move off Nicollet. Even with the Commons, there will have to be street activities and shops and restaurants for those people to go to which will help Ryan's project to compete. You can't use that you will be living next to a stadium as your marketing point. I'm hoping that Ryan/Magellan can design a signature tower to help bring some class to the area. How 3rd and especially 4th are addressed at street level will determine the make or break for all of these developments. You have to get it right in the design stage, because fixing it later will cost an arm and a leg if they screw it up. I'm pretty scared of what Wells Fargo will be like looking at the 5th, Portland, and Park Ave sides look like at the moment. I'm thinking a lot of blank walls along those street with only corporate doors and no retail.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on January 5th, 2015, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MNdible
is great.
Posts: 5838
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby MNdible » January 5th, 2015, 4:07 pm

I think it is safe to assume that because we haven't heard anything about this project, that Ryan has completely forgotten about it and hasn't done anything with it in the last several months. Probably some stern posts from us will remedy that situation.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1581
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 5th, 2015, 4:58 pm

MNdible wrote:I think it is safe to assume that because we haven't heard anything about this project, that Ryan has completely forgotten about it and hasn't done anything with it in the last several months. Probably some stern posts from us will remedy that situation.
And another ZING! :P
The city certainly can't force Ryan to build something uneconomical and unfeasible. They did however, change the language of the agreement to hold Ryan to more than the original plans. I think if the market continues to stay hot (which most predict it will) that the Ryan/Magellan proposal will be very thoughtful and beautiful. I think it's funny when the timing is as planned (parking ramp construction starting first, housing portions/option to come second), people forget that and worry when they don't have updates. It's winter - the ramp will be under construction for another 12 months. They have time and if the market stays hot, there will be a proposal.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 751
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 9:56 am

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby ECtransplant » January 5th, 2015, 5:04 pm

TTT wrote: The Vikings stadium is going to be iconic in design
I think "iconic" needs to start getting the "vibrant" treatment.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower
Posts: 3785
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 6:59 am

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby Wedgeguy » January 5th, 2015, 5:36 pm

HEY, Signature will then be the new iconic!! LOL

helsinki
Landmark Center
Posts: 298
Joined: October 9th, 2012, 2:01 am

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby helsinki » January 5th, 2015, 6:33 pm

HiawathaGuy wrote:
MNdible wrote:I think it is safe to assume that because we haven't heard anything about this project, that Ryan has completely forgotten about it and hasn't done anything with it in the last several months. Probably some stern posts from us will remedy that situation.
And another ZING! :P
The city certainly can't force Ryan to build something uneconomical and unfeasible. They did however, change the language of the agreement to hold Ryan to more than the original plans. I think if the market continues to stay hot (which most predict it will) that the Ryan/Magellan proposal will be very thoughtful and beautiful. I think it's funny when the timing is as planned (parking ramp construction starting first, housing portions/option to come second), people forget that and worry when they don't have updates. It's winter - the ramp will be under construction for another 12 months. They have time and if the market stays hot, there will be a proposal.
Let's hope your faith in Ryan is well placed. I just wouldn't be shocked if (i) the hostility of the Vikings to the development generally and (ii) the need to pay the city $3 million and (iii) their current pre-occupation with the Wells Fargo buildings distracted them from a project that they don't have to build if they don't want to. I would be very happy if I'm wrong.

I will, however, continue to blather on about the idiocy of the MSFA ramp until it is eventually torn down at which time I will rejoice in its demise.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower
Posts: 3785
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 6:59 am

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby Wedgeguy » January 5th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Helsinki, while I have some your reservations, I think that Ryan knows if they fail to develop a quality product on this site, that they will face the rath of politicians and community leaders that went to bat for them over the Wilfs. (i) let the Vikings try and screw things up, they will face backlash thru the political and business community. Not to mention the Wilfs are not looking very good with their PR. Any negative, no matter how small, will allow the detractors in the public realm fresh meat to go after them. They still have more public dollar they want, and no politician will folk over money when the public is upset with them. Politicians knows who votes them in and out of office. (ii) The city needs that revenue to pay for the park. Their failing to follow thru will be a sign to investors that their word is no longer golden. The city, county, and state will think twice before awarding future projects to them. (iii) While their preoccupation with WF maybe true. Magellan can work on the apartment tower design aspect. They can find a REAL Quality architectural firm to give us a signature building we are all hoping for.

I believe that they should take their time and to design this project right. This is a complicated project that could easily become a wall of driveways and blank walls. Even I know what the end product should and should not have, and I did not go to school for that. They design another Nic on 5th and they too will be looked down upon for future projects. Future work is riding on what they bring forth or the lack of what they bring forth. Ryan does not have a lot of land stockpiled like Opus. So they will be up against other developers in the future for their livelihood. They mess this up they will be kissing future opportunities goodbye!! IMHO
Last edited by Wedgeguy on January 6th, 2015, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AccordGuy
Metrodome
Posts: 60
Joined: October 5th, 2013, 2:54 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby AccordGuy » January 5th, 2015, 10:00 pm

Wedgeguy wrote:The Nicollet Hotel block will light a design fire under Ryan. They will have to have some great space and amenities to get people to move off Nicollet. Even with the Commons, there will have to be street activities and shops and restaurants for those people to go to which will help Ryan's project to compete. You can't use that you will be living next to a stadium as your marketing point. I'm hoping that Ryan/Magellan can design a signature tower to help bring some class to the area. How 3rd and especially 4th are addressed at street level will determine the make or break for all of these developments. You have to get it right in the design stage, because fixing it later will cost an arm and a leg if they screw it up. I'm pretty scared of what Wells Fargo will be like looking at the 5th, Portland, and Park Ave sides look like at the moment. I'm thinking a lot of blank walls along those street with only corporate doors and no retail.
It looks like some kind of cocoa colored concrete material they are using on the Wells Fargo One Tower on the Park ave side.
Born in Minneapolis.

AccordGuy
Metrodome
Posts: 60
Joined: October 5th, 2013, 2:54 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby AccordGuy » January 5th, 2015, 10:10 pm

AccordGuy wrote:
Wedgeguy wrote:The Nicollet Hotel block will light a design fire under Ryan. They will have to have some great space and amenities to get people to move off Nicollet. Even with the Commons, there will have to be street activities and shops and restaurants for those people to go to which will help Ryan's project to compete. You can't use that you will be living next to a stadium as your marketing point. I'm hoping that Ryan/Magellan can design a signature tower to help bring some class to the area. How 3rd and especially 4th are addressed at street level will determine the make or break for all of these developments. You have to get it right in the design stage, because fixing it later will cost an arm and a leg if they screw it up. I'm pretty scared of what Wells Fargo will be like looking at the 5th, Portland, and Park Ave sides look like at the moment. I'm thinking a lot of blank walls along those street with only corporate doors and no retail.
It looks like some kind of cocoa colored concrete material they are using on the Wells Fargo One Tower on the Park ave side.
Sorry, the 5th avenue side across from the Haaf ramp.
Born in Minneapolis.

fehler
Rice Park
Posts: 445
Joined: July 30th, 2012, 8:33 am

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby fehler » January 6th, 2015, 11:26 am

I've seen too many "build half now, build half later" projects fail in this city to have any optimism about a great future project built on top of this parking ramp. This block will be a crapper for decades to come.

EOst
Capella Tower
Posts: 2326
Joined: March 19th, 2014, 8:05 pm
Location: North End, Saint Paul

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby EOst » January 6th, 2015, 12:40 pm

Why would Ryan have fought the Wilfs for the development rights here if they intended to leave it a parking ramp?

David Greene
IDS Center
Posts: 4761
Joined: December 4th, 2012, 11:41 am

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby David Greene » January 6th, 2015, 1:02 pm

Because that happened before the hotel pulled out.

This project is a cluster all the way 'round.


Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests