Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 2nd, 2014, 9:02 am

^Something to do with preserving sight lines to City Hall, so I'm told.
I said this a while ago, to give some sort of reason for this choice, and was treated like a dummy.

Were you actually told that or are you being smart?
I was being sincere (it was probably your post that I'm referencing then).

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 2nd, 2014, 9:05 am

Eh, that 6 story building is your only chance to get a human scaled building surrounding this park.
I agree, however, whatever goes here should be 100% USDA PRIME real estate (not an actual term or rating), and I don't like just putting something here for the sake of filling up space. It should be top-notch, and fetch amongst the highest values per square foot in the city/metro. I'd even be okay with 3-4 story walk-ups, made with the best materials and customized by owner (not rental).

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » July 2nd, 2014, 10:52 am

Fencing and barriers are going up today and cranes are onsite, so it looks like full steam ahead for the ramp contract at least.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » July 2nd, 2014, 12:03 pm

Fencing and barriers are going up today and cranes are onsite, so it looks like full steam ahead for the ramp contract at least.
I could be very wrong, but I think that is just equipment and construction worker parking for the developements going on around that site. Barriers only seem to be up around the parking areas, probably because they store stuff there over night. I think once we see a barrier go up around the entire block, then we will see demo of the smaller building on that site.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 8th, 2014, 10:05 pm

Saw this interesting 89 story proposal by Magellan Group in Chicago which includes an 89 story apartment tower with a hotel. Will be the third tallest building in Chicago. Makes me wonder why Ryan can't make a 150 room hotel work with the air right project. Maybe they should collaborate with Magellan on getting a hotel component. Magellan certainly has the connections and prestige.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 8th, 2014, 10:11 pm

That is so ugly.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 9th, 2014, 6:11 am

oh i don't know. people would probably be high fiving and fist pumping if anything that out-of-the-box was built in this town. most or our built environment is safe and standard. chicago is producing towers at a record rate. we can't even cobble together a middling tower near the stadium.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 9th, 2014, 7:40 am

Where in Chicago is that? It looks like it's along the "Gold Coast" area of Old Town, in which case the third tallest building in the city would stand out like a sore thumb!
*Edit: it's on the Chicago RIver downtown....I know where this is. This is the new neighborhood that was built over a former golf course right next to my dad's old apartment building. That makes a bit more sense than Old Town!

F'ing Chicago.....they just build right over eachother over there and apparently have no issues blocking thousands of other people's "air rights"!
Last edited by min-chi-cbus on July 9th, 2014, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 9th, 2014, 7:43 am

oh i don't know. people would probably be high fiving and fist pumping if anything that out-of-the-box was built in this town. most or our built environment is safe and standard. chicago is producing towers at a record rate. we can't even cobble together a middling tower near the stadium.
I'm not aware of any Chicago-area construction boom that's current, at least nothing exceptional. There was a major boom during the aughts (00's) with condos that literally transformed areas like River North but currently Chicago is pretty much lagging its peers in this more recent apartment boom by cities like NYC, Seattle, Boston, SF, etc.

BTW, isn't Magellan working in tandem with Ryan Cos. on the Air Rights project? Why aren't we at least somewhat optimistic about that?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 9th, 2014, 8:50 am

Yeah, I would think that hotel developers on a national level would take notice of the opportunity to have their brand connected to the new stadium for image building not to mention direct access via skyway. I obviously don't expect some huge tower to go up at the ramp here like Chicago, but sometimes I feel like some of the developers working in this town have a minor league mentality that's to our city's detriment.
I think the best outcome right now is if the city could grant Ryan an extension to see if they can get a hotel component for this project . Having this a multi-use building will make it a much stronger development for DTE in the long run.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » July 9th, 2014, 10:27 am

Saw this interesting 89 story proposal by Magellan Group in Chicago which includes an 89 story apartment tower with a hotel. Will be the third tallest building in Chicago. Makes me wonder why Ryan can't make a 150 room hotel work with the air right project. Maybe they should collaborate with Magellan on getting a hotel component. Magellan certainly has the connections and prestige.
Rather like it. Would look pretty cool next to the new stadium. I'm not sure about all the blank facing though, perhaps it's glass? Also would be cool if those two lower sections had water flowing over them because the building itself reminds me of a waterfall.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 9th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Like the IDS was in the 70', this style building would stand out and probably become an Icon down the road. It would definitely become a landmark for navigation.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on July 10th, 2014, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » July 10th, 2014, 8:17 am

I rather like that building as well, it stands out from the crowd, it's unique and uniform. Good for Chicago if this gets built.

Azel
Metrodome

Postby Azel » July 10th, 2014, 9:06 am

My guess is the Radisson Red died because something wasn't working out with the MSFA's parking ramp plan. Ryan/Radisson needed the parking spaces and the design of the ramp to work with the hotel (mostly regarding sharing spaces, but also on interconnecting the design), but the stadium/NFL folks didn't want their ramp touched. In other words, whether Magellan has experience or connections developing hotel/apartment towers doesn't matter if the ramp on this site can't accommodate a hotel.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » July 10th, 2014, 8:16 pm

I appreciate the moxy of the Chicago proposal pic. But to me, it looks like stacked end tables in a CB2 window display. I guess a little bit of that concept goes a long way.

And the stadium ramp, with Red out, I'm with those who are in the 'another bid' camp. I thought the hotel component was way more of a shoe-in than the apartments portion.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 10th, 2014, 8:39 pm

Not so much another bid, but to find another hotelier who wants to get in to the market. I look at this location as being a great one. It would be a few blocks from HCMC (families need a close place to stay), A great location to stay for university games where you can get on the LRT and off at Stadium Village and walk (football, basketball and hockey and even baseball), close to the federal courthouse for lawyers in town for a case, a weekend stay in town if you have tickets to the Guthrie it is only a few blocks walk, and of course what ever is going on at the new stadium will bring visitors in also. One has to remember that this will not open for a few years and a lot can change in a few years as far as further development in the area. With the Green line stations, this would be another option for someone that is doing work with the U if the closer hotels are full. I would hope other hoteliers would be able to look at this bigger picture and see the potential that they have with that location and the LRT station.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » July 11th, 2014, 10:18 am

Parking. This is the issue that popped to mind when I first heard about Radisson Red. When is that huge parking ramp going to be filled to capacity? Vikings game days and other big events. When is the hotel going to be filled to capacity? Vikings game days and other bid events. Result: that huge parking ramp can't serve for both the hotel and the stadium. How do you solve that one? My guess is that Ryan couldn't.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 11th, 2014, 11:33 am

Add one more level of parking and you would have your required space for a good portion of the guests. This is not rocket science. But why add more parking to a ramps that will only fill up really 20 days a year counting a few other possible events. The rent from the hotel parking during the other 345 days a year would be a plus for the ramps revenue. We know this ramp will be far from full every day during the week. Even with Wells Fargo.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » July 11th, 2014, 11:40 am

The ramp will probably handle some of the Wells Fargo employees during the week and then the spaces serve the stadium and a small portion would go to the residents… my guess.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 11th, 2014, 11:58 am

Or dedicate a certain number of parking spaces as "hotel only" so they get their spaces guaranteed. I don't know why parking of all things would have been the deal-breaker, esp. Considering it's already provided for free as part of the overall deal.