Nicollet Mall

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby matt91486 » February 7th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Completion dates in what year, though?

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » February 7th, 2014, 7:28 pm

I believe Wedgeguy is referring to 2017 for both dates. Essentially the Ryan proposal projects completion in mid-2017, the Mortenson proposal by early 2017.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 7th, 2014, 9:17 pm

Given the sad state of affairs of making this pedestrian friendly over the next few years , maybe the lower levels of the ramp could at least be designed to allow for future development to be built out around the perimeter. That would facilitate another development opportunity for the ramp when and if circumstances become more favorable for that to happen.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 7th, 2014, 10:03 pm

Per the approvals that were given at the planning commission, I believe that it has already been designed for this sort of ground level conversion, and that a chunk of the space on Chicago will already be built out as commercial rather than parking.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 7th, 2014, 11:56 pm

Good because three sides of the ramp will still be left blank for future opportunities. I guess we could almost call the Ryan or Mortenson proposals " phase one". ;)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 8th, 2014, 7:55 am

Wish there was a way that we could build big projects like this and a framework for future pieces to fill in the details later. Imagine if we could wrap a parking ramp with organic, separately-planned/designed storefronts.

I understand we can't flood DTE with storefront space all at once - the demand isn't there. Any other creative ways to provision for it at lower cost and lower impact now, but better public realm when demand exists?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 8th, 2014, 2:04 pm

I'm not sure if people misunderstood me or if they saw the presentation at the Open Book, the month before, but the best I got from the CPED guy was that the only street to have development on it would be 4th. Because when I brought up that we have enough blank walls in this city, they did not say there will be future store front on those sides, instead of blank walls. Also, to the best of my knowledge, the ramp will take up all of the block except for the linear area that will house the 4th Street retail/lobbies. Having not seen the actual illustrations of the proposal I can only go by the words that were said to me.
Yes both proposals are finished in 2017, sorry that I assumed most would understand my short hand.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 8th, 2014, 2:53 pm

Go to the video of the Planning Commission approvals, and skip ahead to about 100:30 where they explain what portions of the ground level parking garage will be built out as commercial, and which areas are designed to be converted in the future.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » February 8th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Thanks MNdible. Looks like Ryan wants the entire 3rd Street side to be built to allow conversion to street-level commercial uses, and that most of the Chicago Avenue side will be built to accomodate such uses right from the start.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 12th, 2014, 10:53 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 13th, 2014, 5:32 am

Ryan's proposal probably has the most merit as far as bringing the most people into DTE, but I'm amazed at yet another large rental project. The demand must be unlimited. So was the condo market in the boom of the early 2000's ;)

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » February 13th, 2014, 2:06 pm

The El Paso Taco girl sums up the current development duel well. If they keep the hotel combo on the bottom levels and the apartments on top, we could have a new iconic super-tall that would easily end up being the premier address in downtown Minneapolis. Take a page from the Westin Residences in Edina, the Ivy, etc.. Either way, realistically speaking, I'd much rather see an apartment tower than a "Spring Hill Suites" . What is this Maplewood? Like I said in a perfect world I would love to see a combo, but I would much prefer an apartment tower. Should it end up being a hotel, I only wish they would drop the downstream Spring Hill brand and have the entire thing be an AC.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 13th, 2014, 2:45 pm

I stayed in a Springhill Suites in Chicago that was just north of the Loop, I don't think there's anything inherently suburban about the hotel. They can't all be luxury brands.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 13th, 2014, 3:50 pm

I think the Ryan proposal and Ryan cos in general have a better interest in this whole neighborhood being successful and would put out a better addition here, even if it means phasing the constitution of the rest of the apartments.
What I hope is the city realizes that both the Mortenson and Ryan projects combined contribute the most to energizing DTE. Really this should and could be a collaborative project between the two developers. We won't have a second chance above the parking ramp.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 13th, 2014, 3:59 pm

I stayed in a Springhill Suites in Chicago that was just north of the Loop, I don't think there's anything inherently suburban about the hotel. They can't all be l****y brands.
I stayed in what I'm sure is the same hotel, it's quite urban. Beautiful pool on the top floor too.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » February 13th, 2014, 4:00 pm

Combining the two would simply give us another Center Village. No matter what development option is chosen, the best we can hope for is an "OK" integration into the neighborhood. from what I've been able to gather, the developer will have to retrofit their project on a pre-defined parking ramp rather than finding a way to build them both an a single item.

If the city simply said you must include x number of extra parking spots in your development and we'll give you x dollars I think we'd have a better chance of getting something that will truly compliment the Well Fargo development and have a good street presence.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 13th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Just released rendering of the Ryan/Mortenson mashup proposal. An icon on the skyline.

Towns!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 13th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Do we even know how many stories the hotel is going to be?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 13th, 2014, 5:22 pm

bwahahaha! nice, I can't wait for this rendering to materialize.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 13th, 2014, 5:28 pm

Just released rendering of the Ryan/Mortenson mashup proposal. An icon on the skyline.
If only this were five stories taller. Think of all the missed potential.