Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby John » March 7th, 2014, 1:00 pm

It looks good enough to "pass" and fits in. Makes a decent transitional building from Wells Fargo to the Stadium. Not hugely exciting, but I like it and hope it gets built.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 7th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Sometimes we need to remember that we're Minneapolis, not Chicago or New York. This is a helluva building for a city like ours (or even NYC or Chicago) and we're lucky to be having so much interest from developers like we've been seeing the past couple of years.

Not bad at all, and I expect LPM especially to spruce it up a bit before the final version.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 7th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Still wondering if there's any chance whatsoever for portions the N/E/W block-faces to have some store-fronts or something better than peering into parking. They don't need to be anything special... even just a door facing outward on each corner would help immensely and barely cut into parking capacity/movements..

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » March 7th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Ryan has said that they want the entire north side to be built to allow conversion to street-level commercial uses. Most of the east side will be built to accomodate such uses right from the start. I think the only place with no chance of store fronts is the west side.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 7th, 2014, 2:22 pm

it's totally a Minneapolis building, it looks nice! I think it definitely steers the neighborhood in the right direction, as well as adding amenities that would make other developers more comfortable adding their projects into the fold. I think it'll look nice behind the Guthrie from the river.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 7th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Reminds me of...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 7th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Here's another photo from Sam Black at MSP Biz Journal: Image

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 7th, 2014, 5:30 pm

^^^ Funny , you can already tell it looks much better than either Nic on Fifth or the Eclipse even with the obscured and distorted renderings. The green tinted glass will have a nice pleasant appearance along the park.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 7th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Love the slender look. You can have full city block with four quarter-block development of slender towers like and still feel airy.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 7th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Ryan has said that they want the entire north side to be built to allow conversion to street-level commercial uses. Most of the east side will be built to accomodate such uses right from the start. I think the only place with no chance of store fronts is the west side.
I missed that, but this is (mostly) excellent news. I'll definitely take most of 3 of 4 block faces activated. Big win, and the tower looks decent as well. I'm not worried about a wall effect. I think the new stadium will pull the eye and dominate the feel of the area, to be honest.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » March 8th, 2014, 12:45 am

Lets hope so, because the two wells towers are extremely wide. About the width of a super walmart each. And that parking ramp will be pretty wide too. I'm glad this tower is skinny, but I don't think people realize just how wide and blocky these three structures together are going to be. I think it will help if the wells towers are more in the 250 foot range instead of 300 feet. Otherwise we just started another Great Wall of china.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » March 8th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Sometimes urban walls are cool.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 8th, 2014, 1:20 pm

The office towers are set back to the middle of the block from 3rd and 4th. The residential, on either side, will not be as tall and will allow some more light to reach the street levels.

I like the wall along central park west
Last edited by Wedgeguy on March 8th, 2014, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 8th, 2014, 1:27 pm

My thoughts on this parking ramp project are changing. Perhaps we don't want too many "iconic" landmarks going up around the park vying for attention. The dramatic geometry of the Stadium to the east and the view of the Mpls City Hall tower to the west should really be the natural focal points of reference. The filler buildings along the sides of the park should defer to this and having similar heights to create a sense of visual continuity between the two. That could turn out to be quite beautiful.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » March 10th, 2014, 10:29 am

It seems this tower has been anointed as being selected already. Have I missed something, because I was under the impression the city will decide this Thursday between this tower and whatever Mortenson has that has not yet been made public - is that not correct?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 10th, 2014, 10:36 am

You're right. The decision hasn't been made yet. I think the reason we're all discussing the Ryan proposal and ignoring Mortenson's is just because we actually know things about Ryan's, and have (distorted) renderings, whereas literally the only thing we know about Mortenson's plan is that it's a 300-room hotel. Also, Ryan's seems more likely, given that the city wants something impressive here and Ryan's is the bigger project.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 10th, 2014, 10:44 am

It seems this tower has been anointed as being selected already. Have I missed something, because I was under the impression the city will decide this Thursday between this tower and whatever Mortenson has that has not yet been made public - is that not correct?
That is technically correct. However, I don't think anyone believes that the likelihood of the city selecting a Mortenson's proposal over Ryan's is very high.

Side by side:
Mortenson:
-Marriott hotel, 300 rooms
-$63M
-No floor count yet, but probably not more than 15 based on room count

Ryan:
-Radisson (local company) Red (possible flagship of new concept) hotel, 150 rooms
-272 apartments
-$101M
-27 floors

It's also telling that Mortenson didn't bother to present to the neighborhood association. Yes, they had a party. But they couldn't be bothered to send one single person?

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » March 10th, 2014, 10:59 am

I thought mortenson and ryan were teaming up on this tower?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 10th, 2014, 11:06 am

Ryan's project brings in more property tax revenue with a more intensive use for the parking ramp. The plan includes complete street frontage with retail along one side. Helps achieve the city's goal of increasing downtown residents. Brings in a trendy new hotel brand from a local corporation. The writing's on the wall...

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 10th, 2014, 11:24 am

I thought mortenson and ryan were teaming up on this tower?
Ryan and Magellan are teaming up, AFAIK.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]