Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
TTT
Metrodome

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby TTT » April 23rd, 2015, 11:14 am

I wonder if we'll every hear anything about this project again.

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » April 23rd, 2015, 11:32 am

They're still using those preposterous renderings showing an unbroken 3-block park. It would be nice for journalists to use images that reflect reality.

I've never understood the policy imperatives behind this ramp. There seems to be a genuine desire to make DTE into a walkable, mixed use area - as evidenced by the recent street re-design guidelines. There are already thousands of spaces in structured parking in the immediate vicinity, in addition to an LRT station servicing both rail lines, and solid bus connections. The ramp will accommodate a tiny fraction of stadium attendees a few days a year, compete with existing structures for Wells Fargo employee commuters, and actively work against the stated aims of walkability and mixed-use. And it required demolition of a historic structure to boot. Speciously justified as "the law" because language requiring a certain number of spaces was inserted in the stadium subsidy legislation, it didn't need to go here. In my view, the ramp is a policy failure. Now that it's aesthetic unpleasantness is visibly emerging and the prospect of it's accompanying residential tower is receding, I hope an honest accounting of this ramp can take place so that variations on it's sad theme won't be repeated downtown in the future.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » April 23rd, 2015, 11:46 am

The road to hell is paved with fights over parking.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 23rd, 2015, 3:57 pm

They're still using those preposterous renderings showing an unbroken 3-block park. It would be nice for journalists to use images that reflect reality.
https://twitter.com/UrbanMSP/status/591279896539832320
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 23rd, 2015, 6:49 pm

^shoulda put a period before the @.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 23rd, 2015, 7:00 pm

twitter
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

eastharrietguy
City Center

Postby eastharrietguy » April 24th, 2015, 12:32 am

I don't understand why the City doesn't go back out for RFPs on this site, since Ryan is clearly not going to deliver what they originally proposed - and what got them the development rights. Or maybe go back to Mortenson and ask them if they are still interested in the deal.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 24th, 2015, 6:15 am

We literally know nothing here.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 24th, 2015, 10:53 am

I don't understand why the City doesn't go back out for RFPs on this site, since Ryan is clearly not going to deliver what they originally proposed - and what got them the development rights. Or maybe go back to Mortenson and ask them if they are still interested in the deal.
It's too bad the city never received any proposals from national developers. At least to get some fresh perspectives on the potential for this site. The city's RFP's are very skewed towards local developers , although I don't think it's really intentional. The city's time frame is too short for national developers to create a proposal, and there may be issues of not publicizing the RFP's adequately on a national scale.

TTT
Metrodome

Postby TTT » April 27th, 2015, 9:51 am

Is it safe to say the original design of a greenish tower that was presented is not happening here?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 27th, 2015, 9:52 am

Is it safe to say the original design of a greenish tower that was presented is not happening here?
We literally know nothing here.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » April 27th, 2015, 5:58 pm

My guess is this project is a complete start over

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 22nd, 2015, 2:07 pm

This is just getting more ridiculous by the month...

http://www.startribune.com/developer-ry ... 304748281/

Pretty much the summary of why this project is so FUBAR:

“Right or wrong, we now know the ramp is meant to accommodate the needs of the stadium. That is water under the bridge. We wish it would’ve had a little more flexibility, but we are now working under these constraints,” Barranco said.

Unless Ryan is able to come up with something spectacular in the next 6 months, I'm hoping for this:
“While I am optimistic about this condo deal, we can still take the land back," said Jacob Frey, Minneapolis City Councilman for the neighborhood.

Then, the city would have the leverage to say screw the Vikings and just use the ramp like we were originally promised.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 22nd, 2015, 2:37 pm

Ryan has already put 1.8 million into this lot. That's a lot of incentive to come up with something that will give them a high return on investment. I don't know why you think another developer would do better here, under those circumstances.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 26th, 2015, 3:15 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 26th, 2015, 4:23 pm

That story seems to me a misreading of what was discussed in the previous article, which I took to suggest a residence with a robotic parking system, not an either/or.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 26th, 2015, 4:34 pm

The Strib article on this makes me think this is a midrise residential building with a parking system, not including a tower above the planned ramp. The Strib article kept talking about "site constraints" and "small site" -- this site is a full block. EGHhh indeed.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » May 26th, 2015, 4:40 pm

The site isn't a full block because most of the block is taken up by the parking ramp for the stadium. Originally, there was going to be an additional level of parking constructed on top of that ramp for use by the apartment tower, which would go in front of the ramp along 4th. The Vikings blocked adding another level of parking, so now everything has to fit along the (maybe quarter block?) parcel along 4th.

(Sorry, I'm at work—otherwise I'd dig up some links for you to better explain it)

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 26th, 2015, 4:57 pm

How can the Vikings block that? I thought that was part of the original agreement? Plus, the Vikings should have no right to block this.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 26th, 2015, 9:27 pm

The Vikings are blocking it only by proxy via the MSFA. As we discussed a long ways upthread when the old building on that corner was being demolished without so much as a cursory historical review by the HPC, the stadium legislation written over in StP has a lot of language that supersedes any city policy that would otherwise influence the development on these blocks. While the Vikings/MSFA don't literally control this entire block and the development upon/usage of that parking ramp, they effectively do so via the legislation.

Ryan wanted to add another level to the ramp and allow hotel/apartment users to simply drive up the ramp to the top level, but the MSFA argued (successfully, somehow) that the potential traffic of those couple hundred users—who in all likelihood would do everything they possibly could to avoid the ramp on game days—would adversely affect the ingress/egress of the VIPs who get to park in the ramp for Vikings games. It's forehead-slapping insane, to be honest, but [apparently] legally watertight.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.