Page 13 of 53

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 12:34 pm
by seanrichardryan
I seem to recall they would only move if someone built them a new facility. They will not use county money on a move, especially considering they just spent millions updating the place.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 12:37 pm
by schmitzm03
seanrichardryan wrote:I seem to recall they would only move if someone built them a new facility. They will not use county money on a move, especially considering they just spent millions updating the place.
It might not be ideal, but would they necessarily have to move? The placeholder in the renderings is located on the parking lot next to the medical examiner building. You can see the existing building next to the placeholder.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 12:44 pm
by mister.shoes
nickmgray wrote:Image

Image
Thanks for pulling those into the thread.

I quite like the looks of this building. It's a lot different than the two WF buildings next door, and despite being the same height doesn't make that whole "wall" overly monotonous. I am eagerly awaiting renderings of the building itself from all angles so we can get an idea for the street frontage and the green roof over the parking ramp.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 12:50 pm
by City slicker
Agree. It does look better in the photos than in the images in my head.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 12:58 pm
by mattaudio
Not sure why the ME would need to move. The north half of that block is all parking. And we know this area won't have a shortage of parking in a few years.... sounds like a way for the county to actually *make* money by selling that parking lot.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 1:01 pm
by spearson
I think it'll end up looking similar to Nic on 5th in stature, except not as squat looking being that the building looks thinner.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 1:12 pm
by RailBaronYarr
Ok, first, I think it looks pretty great. As always, interested to see some more renderings from the street level whenever they provide more detailed documentation.

Secondly, been meaning to ask this for a while. I know this isn't on the "stadium parking ramp" site the thread is talking about, but the Mpls Riverfront presentation had this picture in it:

Image
LRT_StadiumPlazaDev by RailBaronYarr, on Flickr

Is anything planned for this underground (stadium-serving :) )parking ramp, now or in the future? My understanding was it's built to support a structure. Does the stadium agreement limit something like this due to views, etc?

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 1:18 pm
by Tcmetro
In the other renderings it looks like that area will be converted into a park. However... there's talk of a new land bridge or something over the LRT tracks at this site. So perhaps that could be integrated into a potential development.

As for this new tower, it's pretty decent looking for Downtown East. This whole area is going to be changed when this happens.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 1:23 pm
by ECtransplant
re: the ME parking lot. My understanding is that part of the problem is they need a certain chunk of the lot for equipment/trailers that get attached to the loading docks in a serious emergency situation. It's not an issue for daily operations, but for it to remain viable and certified to use as a command/control area in a serious emergency, they need a certain amount of space in the lot that would interfere with development plans. I feel like there should be a way to accommodate that, but those were the ME's concerns that I've heard.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 2:15 pm
by mattaudio
Maybe they could move much of the transportation department to Minneapolis, and convert that vacated space in Medina into their command center... Win win.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 2:55 pm
by HuskyGrad
RailBaronYarr wrote:Ok, first, I think it looks pretty great. As always, interested to see some more renderings from the street level whenever they provide more detailed documentation.

Secondly, been meaning to ask this for a while. I know this isn't on the "stadium parking ramp" site the thread is talking about, but the Mpls Riverfront presentation had this picture in it:

Image
LRT_StadiumPlazaDev by RailBaronYarr, on Flickr

Is anything planned for this underground (stadium-serving :) )parking ramp, now or in the future? My understanding was it's built to support a structure. Does the stadium agreement limit something like this due to views, etc?
The existing parking structure on this site has been built to support a future structure above it.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 3:01 pm
by Nathan
I think it's going to blow the nic out of the water, no cheesy cream colored concrete, balconies that are incorporated into the architecture, better massing... I don't think there is much comparison. I think Ryan saw Magellan blow opus out of the water and thought, we need in on that.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 3:04 pm
by Nathan
HuskyGrad wrote:
The existing parking structure on this site has been built to support a future structure above it.
I think the general assumption now is that because there is park, no longer will there be a building there to obstruct views or pedestrian traffic

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 3:39 pm
by uptowncarag
No Mortenson rendering? It would have been nice to compare the two. It must have not been that serious of a proposal.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 3:53 pm
by Chauncey87
I would be very surprised if the Mortenson proposal was anything but serious. A company doesn't publicly announce a new hotel brand into the market without first conducting many meetings, phone calls, and preliminary contracts. Hundreds of (expensive) labor hours have already been spent coming up on how to make the numbers work. The fact that we may never see what Mortenson's design may look like is only the tip of the iceberg. For every rendering the public sees dozens more get scraped or reworked.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 4:27 pm
by John
mister.shoes wrote: I quite like the looks of this building. It's a lot different than the two WF buildings next door, and despite being the same height doesn't make that whole "wall" overly monotonous. I am eagerly awaiting renderings of the building itself from all angles so we can get an idea for the street frontage and the green roof over the parking ramp.
Agree , doesn't look monotonous at all. And the tower has a nice presence with the green glass and modest but well proportioned variation in massing. Feels like a good fit between Wells Fargo and the Stadium.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 4:31 pm
by RailBaronYarr
Nathan wrote:
HuskyGrad wrote:
The existing parking structure on this site has been built to support a future structure above it.
I think the general assumption now is that because there is park, no longer will there be a building there to obstruct views or pedestrian traffic
I guess my thought is that with 1 and 2/3 blocks of park plus the stadium plaza, open space isn't really constrained in this area, pedestrians will already be "restricted" by a non-closed street, and views from the stadium mainly look down 5th anyway. Providing some additional people somehow and shelter for the inevitable gameday/event crowd that uses the LRT station would seem like worth goals here. I'll stop bogarting the thread though :)

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 4:50 pm
by Nathan
RailBaronYarr wrote:
Nathan wrote:
HuskyGrad wrote:
The existing parking structure on this site has been built to support a future structure above it.
I think the general assumption now is that because there is park, no longer will there be a building there to obstruct views or pedestrian traffic
I guess my thought is that with 1 and 2/3 blocks of park plus the stadium plaza, open space isn't really constrained in this area, pedestrians will already be "restricted" by a non-closed street, and views from the stadium mainly look down 5th anyway. Providing some additional people somehow and shelter for the inevitable gameday/event crowd that uses the LRT station would seem like worth goals here. I'll stop bogarting the thread though :)
I don't disagree with you, I just doubt it's going to happen, I think the MSFA and Vikings and general populous want clear views of the stadium from the park... blah blah blah

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 6:48 pm
by uptowncarag
mister.shoes wrote:
nickmgray wrote:Image

Image
Thanks for pulling those into the thread.

I quite like the looks of this building. It's a lot different than the two WF buildings next door, and despite being the same height doesn't make that whole "wall" overly monotonous. I am eagerly awaiting renderings of the building itself from all angles so we can get an idea for the street frontage and the green roof over the parking ramp.
In this picture it looks like the armory has a glass ceiling.

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Posted: March 14th, 2014, 8:31 pm
by seanrichardryan
That's just the current patchy tar roof-

https://www.google.com/maps/place/500+S ... 75014dcfd5