IDS Center

Opus Ritz Block Development

Postby Anondson » February 27th, 2015, 12:35 pm

[obligatory rendering nit pick]
Do the shadows ever get cast in that direction? :P

twincitizen

Re: Opus Ritz Block Development

Postby twincitizen » February 27th, 2015, 12:40 pm

I look forward to their explanation of why they're planning about 30% of the first floor to be retail when the Overlay District requires 60%.
Do we have anything to back that up? 12,000 square feet is quite a bit, is it not? Latitude 45 has 10k sf, split between a 6k sf (large) restaurant and 4k sf for Massage Envy.

Where did the suggestion that they won't meet 60% of Nicollet Mall frontage come from?

I would agree that it'd be cool if at least one of those corner spaces were two stories, or with mezzanines a la Uptown's Walkway. I don't believe there's any practical need for specific skyway-level retail this far north though. You're pretty much at the end of the skyway system here.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 27th, 2015, 12:45 pm

The way the current renderings look, it seems like you could fit many smaller stalls in there. I mean, there's like, what? 5-7 possible in Red20. They can't get more out of here? 12K is a lot, but it hardly seems overwhelming.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 27th, 2015, 12:45 pm

12,000 isn't much. The new "big" walgreens will be twice that...the smallest Lund's store is 20k. A Leann Chin is about 5,000...just a couple things for reference. It just doesn't leave open the possibility for some sort of larger destination tenant that caters to all the new residents to come in. The best we can hope for are a couple decent restaurants that might drive some foot traffic.
Last edited by mnmike on February 27th, 2015, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 27th, 2015, 12:49 pm

I guess I'm looking for a comparable. How much retail space is there in The Walkway?

That's actually a good comparable as it is also half a block, featuring two larger corner spaces (with mezzanines) and 4 smaller retailers in between. I'd be perfectly happy with a similar result on this block.

EDIT: One source shows The Walkway having 23,800 sf of retail/restaurant space. Given that information, I guess my suggestion is that we should definitely be calling for around 20k sf of retail/restaurant in this project.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 27th, 2015, 12:50 pm

As I understand it, the ordinance requires 60% of the Nicollet frontage and 60% of the total first floor area to be retail. Not saying I necessarily agree with it, but that seems to be what the law says.

I wouldn't really be surprised to see skyway level retail here. The rendering makes it look like a dead-end, but I'm sure there'll be a link across Nicollet to the library, Gateway Tower, and maybe the Eclipse, and I would kinda expect Marquette Plaza to link to the second building if it's built, especially if it's offices.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 27th, 2015, 12:53 pm

The walkway has about 22k square feet of retail, not including mezzanines (so probably more like 25). Yes, that would be a decent amount of space, and big enough for one anchor or several small...that I would approve of. No need to go crazy with the retail space here...but at least 20-24k on Nicollet Mall, near Whole Foods.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 27th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Okay, I'll do it.......I don't like this project.

This block and/or the Nicollet Hotel Block needed to be strong anchors for the north end of Nicollet Mall, and this project especially is completely lacking in that regard. Like others I hate that this is a phased project, but on the bright side that could give the market time to absorb residential and office supply, and possibly drive demand for either/both higher. It's not tremendously sexy or imaginative, and I don't like the way it appears to meet the street (mainly the podium).

I think the hardest pill to swallow is [allegedly] what this project COULD have been, vs. what it very well might be.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 27th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Okay, I'll do it.......I don't like this project.

This block and/or the Nicollet Hotel Block needed to be strong anchors for the north end of Nicollet Mall, and this project especially is completely lacking in that regard. Like others I hate that this is a phased project, but on the bright side that could give the market time to absorb residential and office supply, and possibly drive demand for either/both higher.

I think the hardest pill to swallow is [allegedly] what this project COULD have been, vs. what it very well might be.
Agree 100%. This and the Nicollet hotel block were/are the most valuable properties between chicago and the coast... and this is what we're getting? A pair of cheap attempts to quickly cash in on a speculative apartment bubble? These are harbingers of the way Minneapolis is going, population in "luxury" apartments above everything else including the jobs that actually make these apartments appealing. It's going to be incredibly painful for the city when that bubble bursts and and we're left with this on the north mall for the next 50 years. Maybe the rumors for this block were completely bunk, but I doubt it since the Nicollet Hotel block drew at least a semi-serious 900 ft proposal.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 27th, 2015, 1:33 pm

What rumors? The IDS2 proposal from 25 years ago?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

GrowMPLS

Postby GrowMPLS » February 27th, 2015, 1:52 pm

Smirking at how that rendering includes the stadium in the far distant but not 4Marq across the street.
I noticed the same thing......even the Excel building is in there!!! Hysterical!

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » February 27th, 2015, 2:17 pm

The EAW has a lot of good info. It states that phase 1 is estimated to be 425 to 450 feet in height. I wouldn't have guessed that tall.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 27th, 2015, 2:33 pm

They should place the ramp in the center and build around it like a donut. Just saying.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » February 27th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Smirking at how that rendering includes the stadium in the far distant but not 4Marq across the street.
I noticed the same thing......even the spreadsheet building is in there!!! Hysterical!
So did they purposely choose the right angle where it totally blocks 4Marq or did they just purposely leave 4Marq out? :lol:

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 27th, 2015, 2:44 pm

The EAW has a lot of good info. It states that phase 1 is estimated to be 425 to 450 feet in height. I wouldn't have guessed that tall.
Oh good, we can continue our 20+ year drought of buildings over 500ft (you know, real skyscrapers not high rises). I'm so giddy that the two most valuable blocks in the state have sat empty for my entire lifetime waiting for this opportune moment to build something worth less than $400m combined. I'm sure it bodes well for future development downtown that Normandale Lake is now worth more than the north end of Nicollet Mall.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 27th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Purposely left it out, I think. We can see the entire Xcel building, which should show at least the southwest corner of 4Marq.

425-450' tall... That's 50-75' taller than LPM, with 4 fewer floors. Interesting.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 27th, 2015, 2:49 pm

Wow, c'mon everyone. A day after congress votes for net neutrality everyone gets all negative online. Not cool.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 27th, 2015, 3:03 pm

To be fair, most everybody is being positive and throwing out suggestions to improve the project. There's just like one guy who thinks that the project should both be smaller and larger and is mad about it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » February 27th, 2015, 3:10 pm

425-450 ft? I don't believe the illustrations, they released, are showing that height.

Here's a quick model I made: Opus - Ritz Block

One of the pictures they released is only 30 floors. The other is 32. Looking at the 32 floor version, it appears that:
the 1st floor = 20'
floors 2-6 = 10' each
floor 7 = 12.5'
floors 8-26 = 10' each
floors 27-32 = 12.5' each
If that's close to correct, the total would be around 360 feet.

Maybe they just want approval for going a bit higher?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 27th, 2015, 3:32 pm

I don't think this has been posted yet: Here's the Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW): http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 137997.pdf