365 Nicollet (334' - 30 stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: Opus Ritz Block Development

Postby Silophant » February 27th, 2015, 11:11 am

Yeah. They're not even showing a skyway to the Phase 2 building, and I guarantee that will have one, at least.

That being said, let the design complaints begin!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 27th, 2015, 11:14 am

Another article from the strib:

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/294384221.html

This apartment bubbly is going to burst and we'll all be left with this crap for a very long time.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 27th, 2015, 11:15 am

You mean we'll be stuck with sufficient supply of multifamily housing? At potentially lower rents than today? Sounds like a good thing.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » February 27th, 2015, 11:17 am

Anyone else feel like they are trying to do a poor job at mimicking aqua a bit with their balconies? It's interesting, but could turn out very poorly.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 27th, 2015, 11:27 am

Another article from the strib:

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/294384221.html

This apartment bubbly is going to burst and we'll all be left with this crap for a very long time.
Left with what crap?
I don't see the downside of residential high-rises in the downtown core. I think these developers are very savvy with regards to money - especially after having their asses handed to them in the late 2000's bubble burst. Lenders are still very wary of dishing out millions of dollars - so they are only proposing something that must still be needed.

I love how other cities can keep building skyward, but so many people keep predicting the sky will fall here.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 27th, 2015, 11:28 am

You mean we'll be stuck with sufficient supply of multifamily housing? At potentially lower rents than today? Sounds like a good thing.
The horror

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 27th, 2015, 11:36 am

I think it could look really nice & complement the surrounding buildings quite well.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 27th, 2015, 11:38 am

Better than I thought....but I really would have liked to see a project here come forward with a retail anchor...kind of like the nearby 222 with the 40k sq foot Whole Foods. I certainly think there is room for some sort of anchor like that. Even an LA fitness or a Lucky Strike, or something. This "up to 12k square feet of retail" is not much, and really isn't taking into account future retail possibilities in this part of downtown.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 27th, 2015, 11:39 am

I think it could look really nice & complement the surrounding buildings quite well.
I agree it is not horrible but I think the twin towers are essential to the look. I am wary of any phased project like this. We already have a couple of embarrassing examples of orphan towers downtown.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 27th, 2015, 11:39 am

It would be interesting for some obsessive type to catalog the build dates of the recent apartment boom, counting down the number of years until the ten-year law expires. To count down the years for eligibility the number of unit for condo conversion.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 27th, 2015, 12:02 pm

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » February 27th, 2015, 12:04 pm

My god the stadium is huge!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 27th, 2015, 12:08 pm

Smirking at how that rendering includes the stadium in the far distant but not 4Marq across the street.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 27th, 2015, 12:11 pm

When did Nicollet Mall get restriped as a 4-lane street? ;)

On a more serious note, the retail in this building has got to be a slam dunk.

This is really the last great blockface of retail that will be added along the Mall. I don't care what the actual tenants are, though more is obviously better.
In terms of urban design and the attractiveness/accessibility of the spaces, this needs to be executed perfectly.

RE: Design/Podium

I actually like the design, especially the staggered balconies and visual effect that creates. Sort of a poor man's Aqua, but whatever, we're a poor man's Chicago ;)

What I'm concerned about is the hulking parking podium. They have a full city block to work with here. Why can't they excavate for 2-3 levels of parking under the entire block, rather than build a 5-6 story above-ground podium? In the rendering above, it does look like the podium is screened relatively well from Nicollet Mall, but why does it have to exist at all? Is the bedrock really high here or something that they couldn't just go deeper underground across the whole block and hide all of the parking?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 27th, 2015, 12:15 pm

I look forward to their explanation of why they're planning about 30% of the first floor to be retail when the Overlay District requires 60%.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 27th, 2015, 12:17 pm

Yes, not enough retail. This should be a project with a 1-2 story anchor tenant...like 222 Henn. There is lots of empty space downtown, yes...but this is a great spot to build with an anchor tenant I think, as I mentioned earlier. Even if it's a health club or some kind of service retail....12k dooms it to be only a restaurant pretty much.

PS, new rendering is 2 floors shorter...but I guess we know renderings don't always depict floor count accurately.
Last edited by mnmike on February 27th, 2015, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 27th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Maybe because brick and mortar retail is dying, and not just downtown? I know this doesn't contribute to "vibrancy" or some other urbanist buzzword but here's your new face of retail:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ution.html

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 27th, 2015, 12:22 pm

There's always a place for service retail...as I mentioned. Health clubs, bowling alleys, Wine and cheese stores, home improvement stores...and so on. I am not talking department stores here. Even art galleries...something. This is THE spot to build downtown with a tenant signed on...but it would have to be something other than a grocery, obviously.
Last edited by mnmike on February 27th, 2015, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 27th, 2015, 12:29 pm

RE: Design/Podium

I actually like the design, especially the staggered balconies and visual effect that creates. Sort of a poor man's Aqua, but whatever, we're a poor man's Chicago ;)
:lol:
I like it and am happy it will be built. Much better than Nic and the podium looks more inviting for retail and pedestrians. From the rendering it looks like there will be residential on the floors above Nicollet so no parking screen. Yeah!
Last edited by John on February 27th, 2015, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 27th, 2015, 12:31 pm

This building kind of ignores the (albeit small) park right there. I'd think big windows facing that direction would be more appealing than the current setup.

Interesting that there seems to be apartments on the outside of the podium, no?

Overall it's fine. I guess I'm a little underwhelmed considering this is the last major vacant space that's right on the mall.