LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
twincitizen

Re: LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Postby twincitizen » May 28th, 2014, 5:35 pm

I second FMP's observation: what's with all of the single basin sinks? What a huge pain in the ass that would be! Sure, they have dishwashers, but as a single person living alone, it's pretty hard to come up with enough dishes at once to need to use the dishwasher. You're risking mold at that point if you wait for a dishwasher-worthy load of dishes. My worst/first apartment ever and each subsequent one have all had double-basin sinks, even my current place that does have a dishwasher (which I've used perhaps once/month)

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » May 28th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Ditto for me on the appliance set. Except I have the side by side fridge with in-door ice and water. Then again my view out the kitchen window is a stick apartment building and a my neighbor's yard.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 29th, 2014, 8:25 am

I have a single-basin sink in my SFH and it's just fine. But I cook and run the dishwasher nearly every day.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 29th, 2014, 9:23 am

I would lose my mind with a single basin sink.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » May 29th, 2014, 9:30 am

yea, they are kinda nice, but once they are no longer new they will definitely be nothing special. I have nicer appliances in my condo that I paid less than 100k for...

also, I'm not sure what the fuss is about for double basin sinks. I have one, and it's annoying to only have the disposal on one side. My parents live in a million dollar house and they only have a single basin...
Last edited by mplser on June 4th, 2014, 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 29th, 2014, 5:43 pm

I have nicer appliances in my condo that I paid less than 100k for...
Yes, there are many condos downtown that are in the 100-200k range that are in great condition that would be cheaper to live in than renting these apartments ( mortgage, association fee, and taxes combined). Something for a person considering living long-term downtown to consider...

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » May 31st, 2014, 10:36 pm

Single basin sinks- truly a first world problem. How do people cope? Can't hardly imagine. We have a dual basin, and certainly prefer it, but it is quite funny to read about how nearly unlivable it would be to have just one basin in a "luxury" apt.

Flodisco
Block E

Postby Flodisco » June 3rd, 2014, 1:05 pm

While I regret to digress from the single basin/double basin sink debate, did anyone else see they had the frosted glass backlit last night? Holy crap was it ever bright. If they light it again tonight, I will take a photo and post.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » June 4th, 2014, 6:50 am

Just to help finish the sink debate, when I added onto my house in SLP for a new kitchen 3 years ago, I installed the biggest single basin sink I could find. One reason: I can lay my cast iron skillet flat in it and let it soak. I love that sink and no way do I want a big wall in the middle of it. And I'm the only person in the house now.

I did not notice the lights on LPM but I'd like to see that pic when you take it.

Flodisco
Block E

Postby Flodisco » June 4th, 2014, 7:45 am

bapster2006: I agree, I prefer a large, single basin sink to a double basin any day, it can fit way more dishes and larger dishes are easy to wash by hand.

Here is the photo, I apologize for how grainy it is but it shows how bright those lights are.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 4th, 2014, 7:55 am

bapster2006: I agree, I prefer a large, single basin sink to a double basin any day, it can fit way more dishes and larger dishes are easy to wash by hand.

Here is the photo, I apologize for how grainy it is but it shows how bright those lights are.
Not the best quality pic, but nice to see the progress being made. I wonder if any part of the crown, or rest of the tower, will be lit?

As long as we're on the sink debate – #teamsinglebasin.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » June 4th, 2014, 8:17 am

I installed the biggest single basin sink I could find. One reason: I can lay my cast iron skillet flat in it and let it soak.
I hope that people in LPM are not using their single basin sinks for soaking cast iron skillets. It's bad for cast iron skillets. Add soap to the soaking and you'll be re-seasoning that thing every time you use it.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 4th, 2014, 8:23 am

Perhaps we need a #teamdoublebasin as well....

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » June 4th, 2014, 8:38 am

I should clarify I lay my skillet flat so I can clean the part where the food was cooked. It's about 6 years old and still looks new. Thanks for the pic!

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » June 4th, 2014, 9:26 am

Single basin sinks- truly a first world problem. How do people cope? Can't hardly imagine. We have a dual basin, and certainly prefer it, but it is quite funny to read about how nearly unlivable it would be to have just one basin in a "luxury" apt.
A first world problem for sure, but these apartments aren't competing for tenants in Cambodia. A double basin sink is a basic to me. Of all the crappy places I've lived, I've never had a singe basin kitchen sink.
I would lose my mind with a single basin sink.
Despite the dramatics, this is how I feel. I get all claustrophobic trying to wash dishes if I don't have two clear sinks. Don't you like to pre-rinse the big food chunks off before putting dishes into the soapy water? How do you rinse the dishes after you've washed them in a single basin sink? Right into the dishwater? Rinsing works best with cold water, so that is going cool your wash water.

I just can't believe they'd put a single sink in an apartment marketed as luxury. Might as well be in the third world.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 4th, 2014, 9:29 am

I should clarify I lay my skillet flat so I can clean the part where the food was cooked. It's about 6 years old and still looks new. Thanks for the pic!
A cast iron skillet shouldn't look like new after 6 years. I don't have a skillet because I know I'd just soak and it unseason it every time, but if you want to be serious about having a cast iron skillet, don't treat it like this. If you just want a big pan, get a big pan, and give your cast iron skillet to some third world immigrant that needs it.

This is the weirdest derail ever. I'm also glad I'm not the only one that basically cringed in horror when I read about someone soaking a cast iron skillet.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » June 4th, 2014, 10:10 am

Weird all right. My point was simply that I can lay big things in a single basin sink. I've used my pan hundreds of times and it looks great. It's that simple. Not sure why I would give it away. I'll let the discussion go back to the building.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 4th, 2014, 10:16 am

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 4th, 2014, 10:23 am

I just can't believe they'd put a single sink in an apartment marketed as luxury. Might as well be in the third world.
Oh you've got to be effing kidding me. :roll:

Can we please get back to talking about the project, and now how some of us can't survive without a wall in our sinks?
Last edited by IllogicalJake on June 4th, 2014, 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 4th, 2014, 10:33 am

I, for one, want to hear more people berate bapster for the way he cooks and cleans. I'm with Fishmanpet in that he should just give away all his tools that he doesn't use like I would.