LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Postby seanrichardryan » July 30th, 2014, 9:59 am

Loring Park *was full of hustlers 25 years ago.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » August 1st, 2014, 9:38 am

This place has an indoor dog walk. If anyone checks it out please post pictures of what that means exactly.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 1st, 2014, 9:43 am

If I remember right from the plans it's just a long skinny windowed room, I didn't think it really looked that functional, but I guess people will do anything to not go outside with their dogs in winter... (some real lazy people in my building that hold the leash from inside :twisted: )

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » August 1st, 2014, 9:45 am

In one of the articles that was reviewing the building it said there was a fire hydrant, doggy play area and TV (which seems odd) and the room looked like it was a decent size.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 1st, 2014, 10:20 am

In one of the articles that was reviewing the building it said there was a fire hydrant, doggy play area and TV (which seems odd) and the room looked like it was a decent size.
From all the parents I see pushing their kids on a swing while looking at a smart phone, not all that odd, unfortunately. :(

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » August 1st, 2014, 2:44 pm

From all the parents I see pushing their kids on a swing while looking at a smart phone, not all that odd, unfortunately. :(
Is it really that odd that some people may be bored while waiting for their little pup to find a spot to pee for the 12th time in a day?
Last edited by IllogicalJake on August 1st, 2014, 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » August 1st, 2014, 2:45 pm

Incidentally, this building officially 'opened' today. Anyone here living in this building? Saw it this morning, and wow lots of work left to be done still.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » August 1st, 2014, 2:47 pm

Incidentally, this building officially 'opened' today. Anyone here living in this building? Saw it this morning, and wow lots of work left to be done still.
Seems par for the course. I moved into Soo Line several months after it opened, and work is still ongoing.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » August 1st, 2014, 2:53 pm

Seems par for the course. I moved into Soo Line several months after it opened, and work is still ongoing.
Lime opened in December and I'm pretty sure it's still not completely done either, though there haven't been actual workers on site for a long time. Little things keep getting added though, this week we got a bike repair station.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » August 1st, 2014, 7:58 pm

I see lights on in a couple apartments! Looks much better.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 4th, 2014, 8:33 pm

Phil and I scoped this out today. The leasing person was very nice and played along. I dunno about this one. The layouts are kind of bizarre. There's a lot of space but it's...hidden behind columns? The staged unit comfortably fit a king sized bed in the master bedroom, but the second bedroom would be kind of hard to work with. Cable hookup is on a column in a corner that you couldn't really put a desk in. The living rooms had columns that sort of screw up furniture placement. I'm sure people will make it work, but I was surprised at how underwhelmed I was. My current one bedroom unit is about half the size of the two bedroom unit we saw, but I definitely would have to ditch one of the couches I currently comfortably fit in my apartment.

P.S. When I walked by it on the way home from work (about a half hour before the tour) there was a Maserati parked on the street in front of the entrance.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 4th, 2014, 8:39 pm

Looking at the floor plans, the one bedroom units make a lot more sense than the two bedrooms.

http://rentlpm.com/floor-plans/
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 4th, 2014, 9:20 pm

Agree the the one bedrooms have a better layout in some respects. I do like the units with sweeping floor to ceiling windows on both sides. Actually, it would be cool to live in any unit on the upper floors. The street level looks better now with the barriers removed and the plantings. Somewhat less fortress-like. When the retail opens up at Lasalle and 14th that will help.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 4th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Maybe the assumption (for better or for worse) is that most of the two bedroom units will still be just using one bedroom as a bedroom? And the other as an office or such? I wonder how many two bedroom units in the area/DT are actually two roommates or a couple/single person using the extra bedroom as extra space or a guest room at most.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 4th, 2014, 9:53 pm

It's cheaper to make a 1Br+Den than it is to make a 2Br. I've got some friends in a 1Br+Den. The den doesn't need a window or closet, so it's cheaper to build and cheaper to rent. If they're building 2Brs with the intention of making renting them as 1Br+Dens, well that's just dumb. Unless the construction is such that it's just as easy to put a window in that second room as it is not too. My friends live in one of those megablock projects, so there's not nearly as much exterior wall space is there is in a sleek tower like this.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 4th, 2014, 9:59 pm

It's cheaper to make a 1Br+Den than it is to make a 2Br. I've got some friends in a 1Br+Den. The den doesn't need a window or closet, so it's cheaper to build and cheaper to rent. If they're building 2Brs with the intention of making renting them as 1Br+Dens, well that's just dumb. Unless the construction is such that it's just as easy to put a window in that second room as it is not too. My friends live in one of those megablock projects, so there's not nearly as much exterior wall space is there is in a sleek tower like this.
Somehow I don't think they or their tenants were that worried about cheaper, and it's all windows so if it's about adding a closet (and storage space in loft units is prime) I think they'd just add a closet and call it a two bedroom for more rent.

l12
Block E

Postby l12 » August 12th, 2014, 4:59 pm

What I can offer is anecdotal perspective. As a 27-year old yuppie who could easily afford a place like this, I can say I wouldn't want to; with the sole reason being the neighborhood. Additionally, no one I know wants to live in Loring Park or even considers it when discussing their next places to live. It's just not a neighborhood that is particularly appeal, or particularly relevant at this time, and that's coming from a gay "urbanist". Regardless of price and perceived luxury, there are many better neighborhoods that offer more of the amenities/lifestyle fit that people desire (especially those who would consider dropping $2000 a month of rent). People want to be close the great restaurants, bars, retailers that are opening up just about every where else besides Loring Park.
Well, as someone just a bit older than you who lived in the Warehouse District for 3 years and now own in Loring Park for 1+, let me offer another anecdotal perspective.

TLDR Summary: 1) I think it skews a bit older. 2) For those of us who need easy access to many parts of the metro area i.e. the freeway system/St. Paul or Uptown/South Minneapolis, the riverfront neighborhoods can be a pain and Loring Park is great. 3) It's a choice of beauty (parks, trees) over convenience to some extent (at least car2go membership probably required, but then we are talking yuppies here?)

I can certainly agree that for the ultimate in "urbanity", it is not the "best," which was a big reservation I had moving here. I could previously walk to just about everything I could want to do restaurant/bar/cafe/shopping-wise in just a block or two, and that's great. I could also walk easily to the light rail, the post office, the river, etc. all very cool things for sure.

What the other neighborhoods lack though, is curb appeal. You cannot beat the beauty of Loring Park, the churches and the Walker, and the Loring Greenway. The Warehouse District is still hideously ugly if you would like to see a tree once in a while. The river is not at all that conveniently close from Washington Ave. (Not to mention those idiotic multi-block gated apartments which make it impossible to cross from Washington towards the river.)

I see many couples settling here, a large number of Empty-Nesters, and a lot of 30 and 40-something professionals. My guess is that these are people who like it here because it is beautiful and largely residential, and they prefer seeing lots of trees and balconies with plants and beautiful old churches over having lots of bars and restaurants within one or two blocks reach. They really like having a park to take their dogs and grandkids, and they probably head to Uptown/Eat Street/Lyn-Lake in the evenings more often than Northeast.

As a multi-year resident of Warehouse District, there are some other downsides that I appreciate now in my pastoral idyll: no pedal pub woo-ing all day and night, no noisey snow plows in the myriad parking lots all night. Admittedly though, I also do miss stepping out at anytime of night and seeing so much of the gritter side of life, however I am not at all surprised that many older people would not appreciate it, and I will be one of them someday perhaps.

Also, I hate sports and having to be constantly concerned with events at Target Field or Target Center disrupting my life and filling the neighborhood with "Twins people" was rather annoying.

And maybe it's a getting older thing, but I do not shop boutiques remotely weekly, I do not go out to bars more than a few times per week, and I do not go to fancy restaurants more than once or twice per month anymore. AND, when I do, I like to go somewhere new, not necessarily the ones in my neighborhood. So, call me a loser, but although it truly was awesome slipping down to 112 Eatery at a moment's notice, it is not the be all and end all.

Anyway, we are definitely in a deficit though of restaurants etc. in LP with that disaster over at the former Joe's Garage, but I believe all this will change soon especially with LPM opening. A closer grocery store would also be really great.

I don't think I could live here completely carfree very happily, unless I used car2go frequently (which would be very easy to do in fact), so it obviously fails that metric of "urbanity," but I don't think there are many people in MPLS in the target audience of LPM who live car-free anyway, the city is just not quite there yet.

I also especially appreciate the socioeconomic and ethnic diversity here: we have immigrants living here, we have many people from all age groups and economic groups, the other highly urban neighborhoods do not have this level of diversity in a concentrated space, I don't think.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 12th, 2014, 6:29 pm

I didn't say that... I'm a much poorer 27 year old, and willing to bike a mile (or 5) to my favorite destinations

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » August 12th, 2014, 6:37 pm

What I can offer is anecdotal perspective. As a 27-year old yuppie who could easily afford a place like this, I can say I wouldn't want to; with the sole reason being the neighborhood. Additionally, no one I know wants to live in Loring Park or even considers it when discussing their next places to live. It's just not a neighborhood that is particularly appeal, or particularly relevant at this time, and that's coming from a gay "urbanist". Regardless of price and perceived luxury, there are many better neighborhoods that offer more of the amenities/lifestyle fit that people desire (especially those who would consider dropping $2000 a month of rent). People want to be close the great restaurants, bars, retailers that are opening up just about every where else besides Loring Park.
Well, as someone just a bit older than you who lived in the Warehouse District for 3 years and now own in Loring Park for 1+, let me offer another anecdotal perspective.

TLDR Summary: 1) I think it skews a bit older. 2) For those of us who need easy access to many parts of the metro area i.e. the freeway system/St. Paul or Uptown/South Minneapolis, the riverfront neighborhoods can be a pain and Loring Park is great. 3) It's a choice of beauty (parks, trees) over convenience to some extent (at least car2go membership probably required, but then we are talking yuppies here?)

I can certainly agree that for the ultimate in "urbanity", it is not the "best," which was a big reservation I had moving here. I could previously walk to just about everything I could want to do restaurant/bar/cafe/shopping-wise in just a block or two, and that's great. I could also walk easily to the light rail, the post office, the river, etc. all very cool things for sure.

What the other neighborhoods lack though, is curb appeal. You cannot beat the beauty of Loring Park, the churches and the Walker, and the Loring Greenway. The Warehouse District is still hideously ugly if you would like to see a tree once in a while. The river is not at all that conveniently close from Washington Ave. (Not to mention those idiotic multi-block gated apartments which make it impossible to cross from Washington towards the river.)

I see many couples settling here, a large number of Empty-Nesters, and a lot of 30 and 40-something professionals. My guess is that these are people who like it here because it is beautiful and largely residential, and they prefer seeing lots of trees and balconies with plants and beautiful old churches over having lots of bars and restaurants within one or two blocks reach. They really like having a park to take their dogs and grandkids, and they probably head to Uptown/Eat Street/Lyn-Lake in the evenings more often than Northeast.

As a multi-year resident of Warehouse District, there are some other downsides that I appreciate now in my pastoral idyll: no pedal pub woo-ing all day and night, no noisey snow plows in the myriad parking lots all night. Admittedly though, I also do miss stepping out at anytime of night and seeing so much of the gritter side of life, however I am not at all surprised that many older people would not appreciate it, and I will be one of them someday perhaps.

Also, I hate sports and having to be constantly concerned with events at Target Field or Target Center disrupting my life and filling the neighborhood with "Twins people" was rather annoying.

And maybe it's a getting older thing, but I do not shop boutiques remotely weekly, I do not go out to bars more than a few times per week, and I do not go to fancy restaurants more than once or twice per month anymore. AND, when I do, I like to go somewhere new, not necessarily the ones in my neighborhood. So, call me a loser, but although it truly was awesome slipping down to 112 Eatery at a moment's notice, it is not the be all and end all.

Anyway, we are definitely in a deficit though of restaurants etc. in LP with that disaster over at the former Joe's Garage, but I believe all this will change soon especially with LPM opening. A closer grocery store would also be really great.

I don't think I could live here completely carfree very happily, unless I used car2go frequently (which would be very easy to do in fact), so it obviously fails that metric of "urbanity," but I don't think there are many people in MPLS in the target audience of LPM who live car-free anyway, the city is just not quite there yet.

I also especially appreciate the socioeconomic and ethnic diversity here: we have immigrants living here, we have many people from all age groups and economic groups, the other highly urban neighborhoods do not have this level of diversity in a concentrated space, I don't think.

Hate sports. "Twins people" Yikes.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » August 12th, 2014, 6:54 pm

They are an order of magnitude better than Vikings people.