LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Lancestar2

Re: Loring Park Apartments - (1368 LaSalle Avenue)

Postby Lancestar2 » November 1st, 2012, 12:52 pm

That girl in the last shot makes me want to live there! :oops:
...I bet you eat alot of hotwings for the... flavor ;)

Also I really like the transparent trees! It's like the developers are saying "this is what our building would look like if our surrounding tree were allowed to mature and grow somewhat tall, ...but just in case were gonna show it with out trees too!"

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 1st, 2012, 1:12 pm

Dose anyone out there have a pic with a detailed rendering of the base and street level? Just curious to see.
These are from the pdf. I don't know if there are more renderings that are clearer. One detail I like is that the backlit frosted glass appears not just at the top of the tower but on the base as well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Thansk Avian! You rock! The backlit frosted glass will be striking at night on the crown, and the use of it at the base will animate it beautifully. They have a very thoughtfully composed the base with a fine geometric interplay of color and materials. You will hardly notice the parking ramp. The clear glass lobby rise two stories so it's open and engaged with the surrounding area. I'm struck at how well this building works on so many different levels of its design. A landmark in the making! :D

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 1st, 2012, 1:24 pm

The two things that I would change about the project, just things I don't like...

I dislike buildings that are on a pedestal, and the tower never comes to street level on plane with the edge of the pedestal. To me it looks so weirdly balanced up there, with no good anchor, or connection to the street. (edit: it's one thing that bothers me about the Foshay too...)

and

I wish there was another kind of detail on the tower like some MN Dolomite, or a continuation of the great metals they are using on the base. It seems the architectural detail on the tower gets lost since it is all the same material, kind of blurs together for me.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » November 1st, 2012, 1:28 pm

Dose anyone out there have a pic with a detailed rendering of the base and street level? Just curious to see.
These are from the pdf. I don't know if there are more renderings that are clearer. One detail I like is that the backlit frosted glass appears not just at the top of the tower but on the base as well.
Pdf is still online if anyone wants to check it out. Before I saw your post Avian I went over to Minnescraper to see if I could find where I originally saw this. It's nice Minnescraper is there as an archive:
Height confirmation - 374 feet 4 inches. Found a great document on CLPC's website. Full site plans. Very detailed, check it out.

http://www.loringpark.org/minagen/landu ... oposal.pdf

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » November 1st, 2012, 1:44 pm

Ha. The rendering also seems to be of a magical world where sunlight is coming from two different directions.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 1st, 2012, 1:49 pm

The two things that I would change about the project, just things I don't like...

I dislike buildings that are on a pedestal, and the tower never comes to street level on plane with the edge of the pedestal. To me it looks so weirdly balanced up there, with no good anchor, or connection to the street. (edit: it's one thing that bothers me about the Foshay too...)

and

I wish there was another kind of detail on the tower like some MN Dolomite, or a continuation of the great metals they are using on the base. It seems the architectural detail on the tower gets lost since it is all the same material, kind of blurs together for me.
If only we required all high rise buildings to build underground parking!! I get what you're saying, but I think the pedestal idea works pretty well here. The rectangular base connects the complex with the scale and traditional geometric form of the buildings in the surrounding area. The frosted backlit glass of the crown is repeated on the base with a clear relationship between them. I think the collage type composition of the base creates a nice contrast to help set off the elliptical tower's ascension as it rises to the sky. And the reflective glass exterior of the tower will give an illusion of transparency to so the building will be less overwhelming in scale to its neighbors. The setback of the tower also reduces its impact on the low rise buildings nearby.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 1st, 2012, 2:55 pm

It is sad how excited we are for this building! haha. I go by here constantly, so I can give a play by play! They are currently assembling a pile driver on site, and about 2/3 of the parking lot has been removed.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 1st, 2012, 3:14 pm

Ha. The rendering also seems to be of a magical world where sunlight is coming from two different directions.
I think that's possible on Alderon! :ugeek:

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 1st, 2012, 3:15 pm

I think that's possible on Alderon! :ugeek:
*Tatooine
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » November 1st, 2012, 3:15 pm

It is sad how excited we are for this building! haha. I go by here constantly, so I can give a play by play! They are currently assembling a pile driver on site, and about 2/3 of the parking lot has been removed.

thanks for the update! how much pile driving do you think they will need to do? I would assume it would be a lot more than VUE needed...

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » November 1st, 2012, 5:45 pm

And now for the SA around the corner: I hear too many of their dumb, very loud patrons who litter their junk food wrappers all over. If there's a place in LP lowering property values, this is it.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 2nd, 2012, 6:16 am

i agree, that SA is trashy.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 2nd, 2012, 6:57 am

They should do what they've done elsewhere in the city... Tear down a neglected yet original streetcar-era building across the street, build a new SA, then leave the old one vacant across the street. I swear I've seen this in two or three places.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 2nd, 2012, 9:05 am

You may not like the way it looks, but the fact that it's crazy busy at all hours of the day suggests to me that it's filling a valuable need for the neighborhood.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » November 2nd, 2012, 10:56 am

When you say crazy busy, what type of business do you mean? It is people purchasing gas, or is it people going to the convenience store part of the station? I only ask, because if it's more the latter, the need could be filled by a walk up convenience store, 7-11 or something like that.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 2nd, 2012, 11:09 am

There are only 4 pumps there I believe, and yeah, it does look a little 'ghetto' but they seem to always have someone filling up. When you consider the location of other gas stations (especially in DT), this one is in a pretty convenient location. I think it's a pretty good amenity, but the space there, yes, could be used a little better. Why aren't there better 'urban' gas stations? (maybe a new thread if anyone has thoughts on that.)

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » November 2nd, 2012, 12:27 pm

There are some well maintained stations around downtown... The Bobby & Steve's on Washington, The BP in the North Loop, the Mobile at 28th & Lyndale. Gas stations will always suck a bit, but they're not all created equal. They could definitely build a better one here if they wanted to.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 2nd, 2012, 12:31 pm

I was actually just thinking about this last weekend, as I filled up at one of the decades-old corner stations in my S. Mpls neighborhood. Why are the gas stations so small and old, not that I mind. Well, I think it stems from some great things about city living. Many of us drive only a few times a week, or we drive only a few miles to work... in the suburbs where you'll see a corner 30 gas pumps spread across a Kwik Trip, SA, and Holiday, people drive many more miles each day. Our fuel consumption per capita is much lower, so we don't need as many pumps. A lot of the other functions of gas stations are replicated here by other stores, so most city stores are oriented much more to cars and auto service rather than full convenience stores. When I grew up in the burbs, we could drop off dry cleaning or pick up a gallon of milk at the gas station a mile away, and it was much more convenient than driving to the dry cleaners or the grocery store 4+ miles away (and, given how much gas is used, people likely fill up at least once a week). Here in the city, I can walk to a grocery store, a convenience store, a dry cleaner, etc... why get in the car? Anyways, I'm thankful we don't have a gas station on every corner of arterial stroads. Now, back to our new teardrop tower in the sky...

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 2nd, 2012, 3:53 pm

Not to point fingers, but I reckon the issues with the SA are a lot less related to there being an SA there and more related to the two superblocks of public housing due east of the SA.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 2nd, 2012, 5:31 pm

I lived for 19 years just two blocks away from this SA until 2007. It has always attracted loiterers, vagrants etc as long as I can remember. It used to be open 24 hours and there was always a large rush of activity after the bars closed. And in the 1990's through early 2000's , there was a a great deal of drug dealing going on that would center around this mall and SA in particular. I think its somewhat better now, but I wouldn't be sad at all if they close. It's always been a negative for the community.