LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Civilization

Re: Loring Park Apartments - (1368 LaSalle Avenue)

Postby Civilization » October 31st, 2012, 10:47 pm

Magellan and BKV Group are new comers to Mpls.
What? BKV is headquartered in Minneapolis and has been since 1978.
BKV has a diversified portfolio of services, when did it partner with Magellan, when did BKV start its development section, when did Motzenbecker start working for BKV, when did BKV open its chicago branch?

Civilization

Postby Civilization » October 31st, 2012, 10:51 pm

Also what other major development has BKV Group done here downtown during the last development boom?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 31st, 2012, 10:54 pm

Magellan and BKV Group are new comers to Mpls.
BKV has a diversified portfolio of services, when did it partner with Magellan, when did BKV start its development section, when did Motzenbecker start working for BKV, when did BKV open its chicago branch?
Hey, at least you are trying to defend your "no true Scotsmen" logical fallacy!

Civilization

Postby Civilization » October 31st, 2012, 10:56 pm

Hey, at least you are trying to defend your "no true Scotsmen" logical fallacy!
No I am asking real questions.

I have read the bkv biographies and it doesnt look like any of them have done large towers before.

I also now noticed J. Owen Boarman is on the minneapolis downtown council, how interesting.

Civilization

Postby Civilization » October 31st, 2012, 11:12 pm

1. watershed
2. when putting more weight onto a property than what was there before the soil shifts. The entire neighborhood is a former swamp and doesnt have grades of rock, its a sponge.
3. air quality, add more cars, more people, plus with incinerators downtown more garbage is going to get burnt downtown. Watermain has burst a few times and that goes under building foundations.
4. MCTC plaza was remodeled to absorb storm runoff, it wasnt going into the park it was going to the foundations of the Loring Green, 10 on Grand. Towers surrounding the Loring Greenway all have substantial foundation issues.
1. Let me say this again-- this property does not drain to Loring Lake. It, like most of Loring Park, drains directly to the Mississippi through a deep bore tunnel under 94.
2. Not sure what soil has to do with this...we're talking about replacing one impermeable surface with a different impermeable surface.
3. You seriously think the traffic from this is going to affect air quality in a significant measure? Please.
4. Not sure how this is relevant...

And the same developer is building 1368
Nope.
I didnt say the water went into Loring Lake/pond. It goes where it will be absorbed, the Loring Greenway.

Minneapolis-based Allina Hospitals and Clinics sold the Willow Street Center to Magellan and Village Green Cos. last year. When the Eitel Hospital opened in 1912, it provided medical care for the city's elite who lived in stately mansions around the neighborhood. It closed in 1985 and became home to the Willow Street Center for Youth and Families and has since served as offices for Allina.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/s ... l?page=all

Planning commission agenda notes from 2004 or 2005:
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/p ... pc_actions

Not in their pamphlets heh?

Anyway I get to hit the sack, got a headache from having to retype the same information into this awful mobile interface over and over again.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 31st, 2012, 11:17 pm

Minneapolis-based Allina Hospitals and Clinics sold the Willow Street Center to Magellan and Village Green Cos. last year. When the Eitel Hospital opened in 1912, it provided medical care for the city's elite who lived in stately mansions around the neighborhood. It closed in 1985 and became home to the Willow Street Center for Youth and Families and has since served as offices for Allina.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/s ... l?page=all

Planning commission agenda notes from 2004 or 2005:
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/p ... pc_actions

Not in their pamphlets heh?

Anyway I get to hit the sack, got a headache from having to retype the same information into this awful mobile interface over and over again.
What is the point of this post. What idea are you trying to convey? You've posted an article stating that somebody wanted to build condos next to the old hospital, and then posted planning commission notes, presumably about this same project. What statement are you trying to make by posting these?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 1st, 2012, 7:32 am

She seems smart (Civilization) but at the same time seems to have a hard time coming up with a steady line of thinking and summarizing her thoughts clearly into sentences. As a result I'm having a hard time following the thread since I left work yesterday evening around 7:00....

Based on all of the "updates" and 3 pages of notes to check, I was hoping for some incredible update or amazing controversy.....alas.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » November 1st, 2012, 8:26 am

I want to shoot myself for even weighing in on this thread...

1368 LaSalle's architect is Loewenberg Architects. Loewenberg's president is also a founding partner of Magellan Group. The two work together on almost all their projects. I've never even heard BKV is working on this project. They could be a secondary partner on this project, but I've never seen anything that suggests so.
http://www.loringpark.org/minagen/landu ... oposal.pdf

Eitel Apartments was developed by Village Green, not Magellan. It's architect was BKV.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » November 1st, 2012, 9:23 am

Wow, just read through the past 10 pages of posts. Man, that was a waste of time.

Having lived in urban areas all my life, I know there are a lot of people who never like it when a project they don't approve of gets the green light. There are many reasons for this and we can't expect to understand everyone's opinions perfectly. While the developer may not have done its research as good as it should have, the city has signed off on the project. If there are issues with infrastructure in the neighborhood, that's up to the city to deal with.

We could argue about property value or construction costs all day long, but that will not change the fact that new units need to be built to accommodate demand. If the value of the new units is lower than the surrounding property values, so be it. Lets keep in mind that there at least a dozen 1,000 square foot condos a few blocks away selling between $130,000 and $170,000. Yes, there are higher prices units in the area, but having rentals which fall somewhere in the middle isn't going to kill anyone.

We won't know what the tax impact will be until construction is finished, but it's safe to say that the value of the building will be more than $50 million, giving the city at least an extra $1 million a year in tax revenue.

Having more people in the area, along with new retail will make the neighborhood more vibrant and robust which will help increase property values over time.

Moving on... do any of you have any pictures of the empty lot and office trailer?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 1st, 2012, 9:33 am

Moving on... do any of you have any pictures of the empty lot and office trailer?
No kidding. Between this and Park Vista's thread, I feel like it's the Vikings Stadium on Minnescraper all over again.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 1st, 2012, 9:46 am

I think a couple were posted about 4 pages back... back before... well you know.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 1st, 2012, 10:03 am

I think a couple were posted about 4 pages back... back before... well you know.
It was much worse before I cleaned it up on Monday.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 1st, 2012, 10:07 am

The parking lot is nearly gone now...still no permits though eh?

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » November 1st, 2012, 11:30 am

wait, really? no permits?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 1st, 2012, 11:35 am

wait, really? no permits?
But they said they're "under construction"! :shock: Somebody, quick.....tell them they aren't allowed to start construction without permits or else they'll risk getting sued!!! :o What? Did I hear you say they're not REALLY "under construction"?? Phew -- close one! :roll:

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 1st, 2012, 11:49 am

Oh, I take that back...their permits are now showing up on the city website! Super. They are all set to go.

http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/PIApp/ ... &PIN=33303

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 1st, 2012, 11:49 am

Dose anyone out there have a pic with a detailed rendering of the base and street level? Just curious to see.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » November 1st, 2012, 11:57 am

No kidding. Between this and Park Vista's thread, I feel like it's the Vikings Stadium on Minnescraper all over again.
yes, on page 26 I posted 2 camera pictures of the trailer and if I go by the site today I'll try to grab another pix. Also somebody last night had said they thought they saw part of the parking lot torn up but it was dark so they couldn't tell for sure. I'm sure we will get a bunch of updates today! :D
EDIT
there is a new office trailer there now I snapped a few pix's walking by a bit ago

Also the ugly sign of parking rates off of Lasalle ave is gone and I think all old parking lot signage is now gone (besides the closed lot sign they put up)

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » November 1st, 2012, 12:28 pm

Dose anyone out there have a pic with a detailed rendering of the base and street level? Just curious to see.
These are from the pdf. I don't know if there are more renderings that are clearer. One detail I like is that the backlit frosted glass appears not just at the top of the tower but on the base as well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 1st, 2012, 12:44 pm

That girl in the last shot makes me want to live there! :oops: