LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Magellan Apartment Tower - (1368 LaSalle Avenue)

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 23rd, 2012, 9:16 pm

Now that I see this thing in perspective, it makes me wonder why there aren't about a dozen more of these along the Park. Seriously, this looks like it should have been here 30 years ago......or looks lonely on its own!

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » October 23rd, 2012, 9:54 pm

I'm surprised that-- given the amount of NIMBYism we've seen in this area on past projects-- 1368 has not been met with more scrutiny...

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 23rd, 2012, 11:08 pm

I'm surprised that-- given the amount of NIMBYism we've seen in this area on past projects-- 1368 has not been met with more scrutiny...
Magellan originally had a 39 story condo proposal here in the mid 2000's which was supported by the neighborhood.They have done their homework. And let's face it: the design for this apartment building is undeniably high quality and visually striking. It's stands so glaringly apart from many of the other apartment projects going up with their cookie cutter designs, cheap materials, and stick built frames. This tower is built to last and will become a landmark. And I think the NIMBYism you are referring to was Lisa Goodman's and the neighborhood association's very hostile relationship with the developer Brad Hoyt. I have no clue why there was so much animosity, but my guess is personality conflicts played an active role in their dislike for each other.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 23rd, 2012, 11:24 pm

Oh, let's not open that Hoyt can of worms again. Looking forward to this project hopefully being a catalyst for a bit more neighborhood centered retail. Nicollet is currently a bit desolate and the strip mall is screaming for an update. Wasn't there a mention of a small grocery on the first floor of this development?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 23rd, 2012, 11:52 pm

I hope there is some improvement to Nicollet Ave in particular. The delapidated buildings on the southwest corner of 15th and Nicollet are for sale. Would be great to see a new development with neighborhood oriented retail on the first level...something like The Greenleaf apartment building on Lyndale. That strip mall needs updating too. I remember there was a proposal floated some years back to build an infill housing project on the land where the Loring Park ramp angles at Lasalle and Grant. A great idea that never went very far.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 24th, 2012, 4:57 am

Oh, let's not open that Hoyt can of worms again. Looking forward to this project hopefully being a catalyst for a bit more neighborhood centered retail. Nicollet is currently a bit desolate and the strip mall is screaming for an update. Wasn't there a mention of a small grocery on the first floor of this development?
yes, if I remember correctly a small grocery store was interested in a location until they realized they would get no/to few parking spaces for customers. I wonder what type of retail would be interested in locating there. If the demand is still their it would be nice to see the strip mall and the Jungle salon move into the 1368 tower and free up space for a smaller tower to give 1368 a friend so it's not so lonely! :)

I think around 94 and lasalle would be a better spot for a gas station perhaps the parking lot just north west of 94 and lasalle, one of the parking lots next to Family Dollar (I think Nicollet ave would be better of the two) OR the parking lot behind the CVS on Hennepin! that lot is usually pretty empty not sure if it's used by just CVS or other shops too but I think it would be a better location than where it is now.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 24th, 2012, 5:52 am

The taller building where Vue is now would have blocked the skyline view of a lot of condo owners. 1368 doesn't do that. There are condos over there but this is south of them and so it doesn't block anything in particular.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » October 24th, 2012, 8:21 am

As requested in a PM from John here's another shot of the tower from Loring Park. I didn't do any rigorous measurements like I would normally do for a client to verify the scale, so this is just an educated guess.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Thanks, Avian. That's awesome!

Uptown46
Metrodome

Postby Uptown46 » October 25th, 2012, 2:50 pm

From Jim Buchta (@JustListedBlog) at the Start Tribune's Twitter Account:

"Chicago-based Magellan Dev. closed on its const. loan today, which means that a sleek glass 36-story apt tower will soon rise in Loring Park"

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » October 25th, 2012, 5:23 pm

http://journalmpls.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... ring-park/

Not much new in this but I thought I would post anyway.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » October 25th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Nice! An actual lead....feel like I can finally stop holding my breath on this one.... :lol:

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 25th, 2012, 5:30 pm

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 25th, 2012, 8:28 pm

"Started construction"? Can anyone validate this?

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 25th, 2012, 8:47 pm

"Started construction"? Can anyone validate this?
...they did put up the sign :lol: obviously that took two bolts to hold in place!

but besides that it was a empty parking lot I went by there today also noticed that the parking lot behind SA (Jungle's salon) was packed I wonder if they contracted out some spaces out. besides the sign and dumping off the concrete barriers nothing considered construction to the site. Though they may have been considering the electrical work this fall to be construction.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 25th, 2012, 9:34 pm

I don't think they were talking about work this fall...I think they just took whatever Magellan told them too literally. They did tow away the last cars that were in the lot today, so it is now totally empty.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 25th, 2012, 11:21 pm

The lot was completely empty tonight. Jersey barriers and fence panels are onsite but not yet erected. Sidewalks are all marked up. I'd say any day.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » October 26th, 2012, 2:03 am

KARE 11 may have got a bit ahead of themselves (a first for local news, I imagine).

The point still stands though; it's going forward: http://www.startribune.com/business/175899051.html (repeat of the earlier blog post. They wouldn't repeat it if it weren't true, right?)

Awesome.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 26th, 2012, 7:52 am

Definitely awesome!

I say somebody go over there very late at night and take a pic axe and start "construction" for them on the now abandoned parking lot (which will become a dirt pile in a matter of weeks). I think that'd be a funny, rebellious way to make the ground-breaking "official"!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 26th, 2012, 8:06 am

this is the best new building on the boards for downtown. looking at magellan's web site they have done some beautiful projects in chicago.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 26th, 2012, 8:34 am

There was a truck on site this AM when I drove by doing some sort of prep work...so it really does seem like they plan on starting real work any time. I am sure Elf will see when they pull permits.