LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Magellan Apartment Tower - (1368 LaSalle Avenue)

Postby John » October 28th, 2012, 1:08 am

If anyone has any doubt left... just speak with the businesses in the Grant Street Mall - they have all been told that their employee parking on that half of the block was up in September and that ground breaking is schedule to happen before Thanksgiving. I am glad to see some real development activity ... have any of you looked at the Urban Toronto site - man they have a ton of cool projects in the works ... like dozens of major projects... great architecture and really ambitious plans
Here is the link to the Urban Toronto site if anyone is interested: http: http://urbantoronto.ca/

Yes, Toronto is an amazing city. But it is the largest city in Canada, and that country did not experience a severe economic recession like the US. Toronto also has very high standards of design with a very sophisticated, artistic, and cosmopolitan culture. Their architecture reflects those qualities. They also have stringent land use policies in their metropolitan region which encourages vertical growth rather than the horizontal urban sprawl that afflicts US urban areas.

I'm excited because there has been a rebound in skyscraper development in the US over the last year. I'm optimistic we may see a couple very tall buildings being proposed in Minneapolis during 2013. I'm crossing my fingers!

Civilization

Postby Civilization » October 28th, 2012, 10:00 am

A glimmer of a win for corporate citizen, a mirage windfall for salesman in regards to commissions, wonder what percentage of units will be sold to real estate brokers like the carlyle building.

I wont hold my breath. Trailers have sat in the middle of lots before. This trailer is smack in the middle of the lot.

Downtown west has a massive population of old minnesota families that are very powerful and give critically to political campaigns.

I highly doubt a city politician is going to make a mistake by saturating such an excessive % of development in a densely populated section. Not when DTE has such potentional and far fewer retirees with slack $$$ to throw behind the next mayor who will reinstate the NRP, publish a city budget in full and stagger the goal of doubling downtown population to match realistic market conditions.

[mod="Nick"]Edited due to unnecessary insults[/mod]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 28th, 2012, 10:41 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 28th, 2012, 10:52 am

A glimmer of a win for corporate citizen, a mirage windfall for salesman in regards to commissions, wonder what percentage of units will be sold to real estate brokers like the carlyle building.

I wont hold my breath. Trailers have sat in the middle of lots before. This trailer is smack in the middle of the lot.

Downtown west has a massive population of old minnesota families that are very powerful and give critically to political campaigns.

I highly doubt a city politician is going to make a mistake by saturating such an excessive % of development in a densely populated section. Not when DTE has such potentional and far fewer retirees with slack $$$ to throw behind the next mayor who will reinstate the NRP, publish a city budget in full and stagger the goal of doubling downtown population to match realistic market conditions.

Private citizen might just win out here. I hear a rumble of talk between the cuddle whoring of spoiled bratty poochies in condo owner perches, and the swoop of poop bags. The pups of Loring Hood adore me, why wouldnt their uppity human servants? And Loring Poochies might not take to 18 months of multi-storied construction torment. Stiff resistance to puppy prozac and skin conditions could result from anxiety.

Depends on how a local concilperson wants to be further tolerated.

Are you off your meds? You talk to dogs? The city government would rather have a parking lot over a high rise because some people with weird hours will have a hard time sleeping? Three building under construction is saturation?

Civilization

Postby Civilization » October 28th, 2012, 11:06 am

mplsjaromir,

thats incredibly disrespectful.

and whether you can fathom or not, sales commissions on condos, property tax revenue increase are not top priorities.

People do live here and people do matter.

Its difficult to pitch such an immense project when the only priority is short term profit to folks who have resided and owned property in Loring for decades.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » October 28th, 2012, 11:19 am

This is an apartment building, not a condo tower.
My flickr photos.

Civilization

Postby Civilization » October 28th, 2012, 11:42 am

MSPtoMKE, which will make it an even tougher sale to the established homeowners in the neighborhood.

They clearly dont want any more rental properties, and I've watched a number of orange public notices go up, more than half of these orange notices never amount to any development.

In a couple weeks we'll be lining up to vote. The polling station is clearly divided by rent voting precinct vs. condo/townhouse owner voting precinct. And the election judges personnas are very clearly distinct per which voting precinct they organize.

The last time I was in there, last election, the registered voters lists of either prescinct was equally thick.

And talk of development was thick in the air then. I will bundle up, get a thermos of tea ready, take the day off from work (already notified clients) and stuff a few baggies with vegan doggie treats.

Oh this is going to be a juicy election!

ha ha ha ha!

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 28th, 2012, 11:52 am

mplsjaromir,

thats incredibly disrespectful.

and whether you can fathom or not, sales commissions on condos, property tax revenue increase are not top priorities.

People do live here and people do matter.

Its difficult to pitch such an immense project when the only priority is short term profit to folks who have resided and owned property in Loring for decades.
No one has been kicked out of their home. If building an apartment building is the greatest injustice, then I guess humanity is in a good position. You may have a point I suppose if the builders and city do not take the residents of the surrounding area under consideration. You have zero evidence that they won't do their due diligence. Otherwise everything you have ever said on this forum is either inaccurate (condo sales commissions) or conjecture (CMs will lose their jobs if apartments are built).

Civilization

Postby Civilization » October 28th, 2012, 12:16 pm

oh boy I can bet someone has high hopes the sales commissions on 1368 lasalle pays off student loans.

if you werent aware the next election is presidential, cnty judges, reps and school board. Its the school board seats I wanna hear the chatter about.

Discussion about whether the Emerson Spanish Immersion school on 1421 Spruce clearly divides residents. Whether or not the city or its henchman council openly discuss it.

About half of Loring Park's transitional housing, group homes and halfway houses have been moved out to make a pitch to investors. Removing the school will loosen barriers to investments.

None of this above has factored into any discussion on Urbanmsp before.

And I remember what Loring Park had for social services in regards to housing 25 years ago.

If developers cannot take the young America building and privatise it or level it with demolition then it will be difficult to develop more of Loring.

The old Minnesota families in Loring Park dont want anymore social services and its housing removed. Keeping those properties there slows development.

PPL over on Portland keeps a wide variety of investors out of DTE.

Until investors get with the housing mix philosophy and can stomach social services side by side with $400,00 -$700,000 properties this doubling the downtown population wont happen.

I know for certain when I am in the SW burbs boomers ask about the condo market, 30% of the time the next topic they ask about is volunteering/mentoring downtown via its transitional housing.

Kinda the chic topic of interest among boomers who have lived in the twin cities for decades. Again these boomers pooches adore me too. And I let these boomers know their pooches are socialable enough for downtown. It makes them feel so glamorous.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 28th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Civilization, can't we have any fun or joy in life? :? Most of us here have a passion for architecture, urban design, and enjoy the process of how things are built, and how our built environment affects the quality of life and visual character of our city. I guess I don't see the need to demonize that passion. From what I read on this forum, most of us here are adamant that urban design promotes the community good for ALL people! And we are strong advocates for building high quality housing for underserved populations. Magellan will be a beautiful project that will fill a decades old vacant lot. I certainly can't afford to live there, but it gives me joy in my aesthetic perception of the community where I live. That perception is completely in my domain and I own it 100%. No one has the right to to try to judge or take that happiness away from me.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » October 28th, 2012, 1:40 pm

oh boy I can bet someone has high hopes the sales commissions on 1368 lasalle pays off student loans.
:?:

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » October 28th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Alrighty then....

Anyways if anyone is still in doubt about this Magellan's website is saying they have commenced construction (this is probably were Star Trib and the others got that info) I would guess we will start to see the cranes being assembled and going up tomorrow. Here's the link to their websiste.

Also I'm glad to see they will be including 3 bedrooms, everything I had seen before had only shown studios and 1 & 2 bedrooms.
Cranes are Erected as Magellan’s First Luxury Apartment High-Rise starts Construction in Loring Park

Posted by vanessa | October 26, 2012 | No Comments » |

Chicago-based Magellan Development Group LLC has commenced construction of a new luxury apartment tower situated in the Loring Park neighborhood of Minneapolis.

The 36-story mixed-use high-rise located at 1369 Spruce Place will include residential apartments, retail space, and on-site parking. The building will contain 354 rental apartments, including studios and one- to three-bedroom residences with condo quality finishes, offering captivating views of the park and city. The walk-to-work location is steps from the city’s renowned Theater District, Orchestra Hall, Walker Art Museum and Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, Minneapolis Convention Center, dining, shopping, and boutiques.

The property will feature more than 41,000-square-feet of world-class indoor and outdoor amenities. Interior amenities will include a state-of-the-art fitness center; lap pool, hot tub, sauna and steam rooms; media and game room; resident lounge, business center, bicycle storage and a private in-building dog run with washing station. The exterior landscaped deck will include a splash pool, hot tub, fire pits, grills and lounge areas.

As a strong advocate of developing green projects David Carlins, president of Magellan Development, noted that Loring Park Apartment Tower is designed to achieve United States Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver Certification.

Designed by Magellan affiliate Loewenberg Architects, The tower was designed to be a striking Minneapolis icon with its curved glass curtain wall, mixture of colors, textures, volumes, and transparencies.

“We want to thank Ald. Lisa Goodman for her assistance in piloting the development program to a successful conclusion. Our aim is to make the property an important addition to a culturally and socially significant neighborhood,” said Carlins.

The $100+ million structure will be capitalized with funds provided by BMO Harris Bank, the INDURE Fund managed by National Real Estate Advisors, Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), and ULLICO.

General Contractor for the development is a joint venture of James McHugh Construction Company and Adolfson and Peterson Construction.

Civilization

Postby Civilization » October 28th, 2012, 3:52 pm

Civilization, can't we have any fun or joy in life? :? Most of us here have a passion for architecture, urban design, and enjoy the process of how things are built, and how our built environment affects the quality of life and visual character of our city. I guess I don't see the need to demonize that passion. From what I read on this forum, most of us here are adamant that urban design promotes the community good for ALL people! And we are strong advocates for building high quality housing for underserved populations. Magellan will be a beautiful project that will fill a decades old vacant lot. I certainly can't afford to live there, but it gives me joy in my aesthetic perception of the community where I live. That perception is completely in my domain and I own it 100%. No one has the right to to try to judge or take that happiness away from me.

The two compelling factors for any tower discussed here is
1. how pretty it will be.
2. profitable.

Your fun is my lack of sleep and hassle getting around the community I live in.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 28th, 2012, 4:10 pm

Construction is always going to inconvenience somebody.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 28th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Are you trying to say you are not convince this project is a go? :|
I understand not wanting to be next to some construction projects myself I while looking to move decided against moving back to Richfield next to 494 only because they Lyndale construction was going on making traffic much worse in the area. Also I know I don't want to live downtown when the Lowery tunnel is expanded I hope I'm long gone by then :) Construction is apart of life if your living in a community that is growing. I live about 2 blocks away from the site and I'm excited for them to start construction. Do you personally work odd hours that make you need to sleep during the day? Working overnight shifts can make it harder but me personally I already have invested in a loud fan a white nose radio, and soon will pick up a few ear plugs. Also sleeping supplements like Melatonin can help fall asleep and stay asleep. I don't think the site will cause to much traffic congestion most likely less parking and less street parking to allow space for the big trucks.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » October 28th, 2012, 8:54 pm

Perhaps you would like a city or suburb between 20,000 - 50,000. Find one that is stable or has little chance at experiencing growth.

nasa35

Re: Loring Park Apartments - (1368 LaSalle Avenue)

Postby nasa35 » October 28th, 2012, 9:00 pm

Civil, I'm not even going to suggest that I am very well liked here...which is fine because at the end of the day we all have civic pride and want sensible development and *fun* activity with said development.

But seriously?

What is your motivation here?

What is the purpose?

Yeah, we like pretty buildings that are profitable; why? So they build more of them. Where exactly is your disconnect?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 28th, 2012, 9:05 pm

Noooooooo!
Towns!

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » October 28th, 2012, 9:13 pm

yesssssssss!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 28th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Trolling forums is how I spend my weekends, not much else to do other than talking to the cats. Toronto!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.