Nic on Fifth - (290' - 26 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mulad
Moderator
Posts: 2802
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 6:30 pm
Location: Saint Paul
Contact:

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby mulad » December 18th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Does anyone know when the Powers building was torn down? A little Googling seems to turn up more information about the former Highland Park store (which was at Cleveland and Highland in Saint Paul and torn down in 1994).

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1121
Joined: June 2nd, 2012, 11:01 am

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby mnmike » December 18th, 2012, 11:41 pm

I think it was around that same time actually.

spearson
Union Depot
Posts: 310
Joined: July 9th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby spearson » December 19th, 2012, 10:13 am

According to the book Twin Cities Then and Now, the Powers building went down in 1992.

nasa35

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby nasa35 » December 19th, 2012, 11:12 am

spearson wrote:According to the book Twin Cities Then and Now, the Powers building went down in 1992.
wow...20 years. There's been numerous *rumours* I remembe ra 42 floor condo.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1121
Joined: June 2nd, 2012, 11:01 am

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby mnmike » December 19th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Yeah, and i remember, I think the most rececnt one was for an office building called 444 Marquette that was to be 24 floors I think?

On a story on KSTP last night, they showed the blueprints for this with the updated rendering. Still looked fairly bland, but it did confirm that the other sides are no more bland than the 2 that we have seen...so that is good!

spearson
Union Depot
Posts: 310
Joined: July 9th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby spearson » December 19th, 2012, 2:06 pm


helsinki
Landmark Center
Posts: 298
Joined: October 9th, 2012, 2:01 am

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby helsinki » December 20th, 2012, 1:28 am

From the KSTP story: Nic on Fifth "will be the first luxury high-rise apartments built in nearly three decades downtown."

I keep seeing this obviously untrue sentence in different news stories. What is wrong with our local journalists? Can they Google search? Can't they see the Carlyle?

nasa35

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby nasa35 » December 20th, 2012, 4:58 am

helsinki wrote:From the KSTP story: Nic on Fifth "will be the first luxury high-rise apartments built in nearly three decades downtown."

I keep seeing this obviously untrue sentence in different news stories. What is wrong with our local journalists? Can they Google search? Can't they see the Carlyle?
condos, not the same thing

helsinki
Landmark Center
Posts: 298
Joined: October 9th, 2012, 2:01 am

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby helsinki » December 20th, 2012, 5:54 am

nasa35 wrote:
helsinki wrote:From the KSTP story: Nic on Fifth "will be the first luxury high-rise apartments built in nearly three decades downtown."

I keep seeing this obviously untrue sentence in different news stories. What is wrong with our local journalists? Can they Google search? Can't they see the Carlyle?
condos, not the same thing
Ahh, got it. Fair enough.

Seems misleading though as it implies that no high-rise construction has occurred. They could equally say: "this is the 5th high-rise residential tower built in the last decade downtown."

(It is 5, right? Grant Park, Skyscape, Carlyle, & Ivy were the 4 built most recently?)

nasa35

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby nasa35 » December 20th, 2012, 7:06 am

You are correct, sir.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 166
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 4:10 pm

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby dmdhashw » December 20th, 2012, 8:09 am

helsinki wrote:Ahh, got it. Fair enough.

Seems misleading though as it implies that no high-rise construction has occurred. They could equally say: "this is the 5th high-rise residential tower built in the last decade downtown."

(It is 5, right? Grant Park, Skyscape, Carlyle, & Ivy were the 4 built most recently?)
That doesn't have the same zing to it, though.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1121
Joined: June 2nd, 2012, 11:01 am

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby mnmike » December 20th, 2012, 1:46 pm

nasa35 wrote:
helsinki wrote:From the KSTP story: Nic on Fifth "will be the first luxury high-rise apartments built in nearly three decades downtown."

I keep seeing this obviously untrue sentence in different news stories. What is wrong with our local journalists? Can they Google search? Can't they see the Carlyle?
condos, not the same thing
We have been through this argument in this thread. It's really not true...If Laurel Village isn't counting as "the core" for them, then at the very least, the (ugly) metro apartments were built at 9th and Marquette around 2000. More accurately it is "the first luxury apartment high rise over 20 stories within a block of Nicollet Mall in the past 30 years". lol

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower
Posts: 3785
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 6:59 am

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby Wedgeguy » December 20th, 2012, 1:59 pm

^^^ There is no such thing as research now days with the news media, Print or TV. They just want something before their dea line as long as it is 55% true, that is ok with them.


I truly doubt that a majority of the people who live in Minneapolis could give you a true and accurate definitioin of what the boundries are for the downtown. I'd venture to guess that about half the city council could answer that question without having to get back with you on that. I'm even suprised at what they consider downtown for what it is worth. We have the wrong perception that downtown means the core. While the core is in downtown it is not all of downtown as the city say it is.

martykoessel
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 198
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 9:12 am

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby martykoessel » December 20th, 2012, 3:23 pm

The Downtown Core is best defined by zoning. Check out this map:
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 261235.pdf
The area bordered by 3rd to 10th streets south, Hennepin, and 4th Ave. S. is as core as you can get. Downtown zoning gets progressively more restricted as you move out from there.

This zoning has been the primary tool for keeping the downtown business district so concentrated and, as a corollary, for creating the big dead zone east of 5th.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower
Posts: 3785
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 6:59 am

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby Wedgeguy » December 20th, 2012, 3:41 pm

martykoessel wrote:The Downtown Core is best defined by zoning. Check out this map:
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 261235.pdf
The area bordered by 3rd to 10th streets south, Hennepin, and 4th Ave. S. is as core as you can get. Downtown zoning gets progressively more restricted as you move out from there.

This zoning has been the primary tool for keeping the downtown business district so concentrated and, as a corollary, for creating the big dead zone east of 5th.
You are very right on that assumption. I believe that zoning came in when Trammel Crow, was going to try and develope a super tall tower for IDS on the current Normandy Inn block back in the late 80's or early 90's. The city council was scared that it would take too many people off the Mall and kill the retail district. I honestly believe that it is now time to relook at the zoning codes and update them to match what is happening with the current climate of developement.

User avatar
spectre000
Union Depot
Posts: 301
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 9:05 pm
Location: Downtown St. Paul

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby spectre000 » December 22nd, 2012, 3:03 pm


User avatar
FISHMANPET
IDS Center
Posts: 4602
Joined: June 6th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Location: Corcoran

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby FISHMANPET » December 23rd, 2012, 9:59 pm

Totally random question, but the first picture made me think of it, is that brown brick building at 5th and Nicolet anything? Last I saw it was still for rent, and it seems like such a prime location to be empty. Is it just the ground floor, or the whole building that's empty?

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3940
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Merriam Park, St. Paul
Contact:

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby seanrichardryan » December 23rd, 2012, 10:40 pm

The Andrus? It was office space for Xcel for a while. It has never really had much of a retail element since it was remodeled. There was a tobaccoist for a long time on Nicollet.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7941
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby mattaudio » December 24th, 2012, 7:42 am

Pretty sure nearly the whole building is empty. Renaissance Square. Great vintage building with the feel of an 80s rehab. Yes, Xcel used it (and a few floors of the US Bancorp Center) until they remodeled 414 and leased Marquette Plaza.
There also used to be a great diner/lunch counter on the ground floor - Hamlins Cafe.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 110
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 1:23 pm
Location: Downtown Minneapolis

Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby 1200onthemall » December 24th, 2012, 8:56 am

mattaudio wrote:Pretty sure nearly the whole building is empty. Renaissance Square. Great vintage building with the feel of an 80s rehab. Yes, Xcel used it (and a few floors of the US Bancorp Center) until they remodeled 414 and leased Marquette Plaza.
There also used to be a great diner/lunch counter on the ground floor - Hamlins Cafe.
The building is not empty, a design-engineering DLR Group moved into the building about 2 years ago from the suburbs. The street level haves been vacant for years. Below is a link to CBRE leasing page for the building.

http://www.cbre.us/o/minneapolis/proper ... loors.aspx


Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ace and 7 guests