Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby seanrichardryan » December 24th, 2012, 10:28 am

Lileks covered it years back: http://www.lileks.com/mpls/andrus/index.html
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » December 24th, 2012, 11:49 am

Man, I love reading his site. So many great photos and wonderful words about this city. Thanks for linking!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » December 24th, 2012, 1:43 pm

^^Seconded. I had not stumbled onto this one before. The humor in the writing is great. In reference to City Center:
While it does have an uncompromising flair, please remember that it is the color of old meat. That doesn't help.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 26th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Problem with the ground floor of that building is that there is little if any other retail near it to bring in a steady stream of customers. I think over a decade or more ago Men's Wearhouse was in that buildings ground floor after they did the rehab, but later moved down the mall to get a better customer flow closer to 8th.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » December 27th, 2012, 8:56 am

Hopefully this and the Soo Line Building being within two blocks brings some life back to this area.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 27th, 2012, 9:14 am

Since this building will have a sidewalk all the way to the LRT curb on 5th St., anyone know if they're planning some sort of special sidewalk treatment on this block similar to the Fifth Street Towers? It would be a shame to see a bunch of concrete squares with no amenities.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 27th, 2012, 9:50 am

In the neighborhood meeting I and a few others went to a while back, the guy from Opus mentioned something like that. Did he use the word promenade? Or did I make that up?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 27th, 2012, 10:47 am

Hopefully this and the Soo Line Building being within two blocks brings some life back to this area.
I'm uncertain how much life a few residential buildings (albeit big ones) bring to any area. I've lived in neighborhoods that were considered high density and rarely were the sidewalks teeming with people because of the residential population. Instead, it seems like retail and sometimes office employment are the biggest drivers of feet on the street. But I also hope that all of this new development spurs more life back to the streets -- I just don't know if it's always that straightforward, nor do I know what makes certain places busy and others not.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 27th, 2012, 11:22 am

This probably isn't the most appropriate place for this, but I think what min-chi-bus just said is the flaw with the pro-height philosophy so prevalent on here. From my anecdotal personal experience, I've never found tall residential towers to be great centers of bustling street life and community.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » December 27th, 2012, 11:29 am

Maybe we could take out the sidewalks and add more bike lanes, that would certainly spur more street life.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » December 27th, 2012, 11:32 am

I don't think anyone's saying that a few high rises are the silver bullet for... dare I say it --vibrancy--, but every little bit helps. And does a tower with 300 units do more than a 6 story building with 150? You bet it does.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 27th, 2012, 11:37 am

That's why I said my comment probably wasn't in the best place, because I'm not trying to knock this development. Just stating my belief that development doesn't have to be tall, especially when its outside the core of downtown.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » December 27th, 2012, 11:40 am

Well I think most people here would support that statement.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 27th, 2012, 12:38 pm

That's why I said my comment probably wasn't in the best place, because I'm not trying to knock this development. Just stating my belief that development doesn't have to be tall, especially when its outside the core of downtown.
No they want one block square monoliths that look like walled prisons to keep them safe from all of us good city dwellers. My opinion is a slender tower would be much better than a full block prison motief with one or two door to the whole place!

Also with a taller building you get more units on less land so there is space for green space for trees to grow and flower beds and a place outside for the residence to sit and enjoy themselves.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on December 27th, 2012, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » December 27th, 2012, 12:42 pm

I guess I feel that the number of developments in the 'neighborhood' may bring some of the vibrancy that you're looking for by themselves. You already have the library sandwiched between the north loop and the north end of downtown along with a new grocery store that will likely drive foot traffic between the areas. Some other things may develop out of necessity that help spur more street presence, so let's give it a little time.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » December 27th, 2012, 1:01 pm

I'm usually not cynical, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that most residents of Nic on Fifth will drive to the Whole Foods. ;)

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » December 27th, 2012, 3:01 pm

^Or the costco in SLP for that matter :)

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 27th, 2012, 3:57 pm

I'm usually not cynical, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that most residents of Nic on Fifth will drive to the Whole Foods. ;)
That would defeat one of the key purposes to living in that building......but I believe you!

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » December 27th, 2012, 4:21 pm

That would defeat one of the key purposes to living in that building......but I believe you!
Wow! Cynical and maybe a bit judgemental. Besides, they can always have it delivered. :D

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 30th, 2012, 6:56 pm

I wonder if Opus owns the ramp at Nicollet and 4th yet? One of the elevators in there was broken and messing up the other. Had to walk down two whole flights of stairs from the top to get it on the fifth floor!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]