Nic on Fifth - (290' - 26 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
retiredbanker
City Center

Re: Nicollet Residences - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby retiredbanker » October 18th, 2012, 1:04 pm

I just had a discussion (a few minutes ago) with a project manager at Opus about the Nicollet Residence tower. The manager told me the timeline is to apply for the Demolition Permit next week, clear the site and actual construction should begin the 1st week in December. It appears they have a restaurant lined up for the Nicollet Mall side and are in talks with some retail businesses. We will have to wait-and-see if this all happens. However, the project manager was quite confident and consistent in the conversation. So, I'm confident this tower will be underway soon.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » October 18th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Thanks for the update retiredbanker. It's nice to get some actual news here once in awhile. Very much appreciated.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 18th, 2012, 3:11 pm

If Opus Project Managers would take random calls then I'm sure we could gather that info, but retiredbanker happens to have a healthy network of people and their contact info.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » October 30th, 2012, 9:36 am

Is this going to be where that awful BCI building is, next to that equally awful rust-brown parking garage?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 30th, 2012, 9:52 am

Yes, and no. The BCI building will come down for this project, while the crappy ramp will come down for the Xcel Energy expansion. The whole block should shine in about 3-4 years
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 30th, 2012, 1:22 pm

Yes, and no. The BCI building will come down for this project, while the crappy ramp will come down for the Xcel Energy expansion. The whole block should shine in about 3-4 years
Despite my previous reservations (lol) about the downsizing of Nicollet Residences, I'm now really excited to see this block being redeveloped. The street level of Nicollet Residences in particular is going to work nicely with the Mall and adjacent LRT station. I think it's going to be a catalyst for something to happen on the surface parking lot just north on Nicollet Mall.

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » October 30th, 2012, 1:42 pm

it would be great if this was true. definitely an eyesore block.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 30th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Still nothing happening with this site though, right?

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » October 30th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Still nothing happening with this site though, right?
Correct. Nothing has been changed.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » October 30th, 2012, 5:48 pm

I just had a discussion (a few minutes ago) with a project manager at Opus about the Nicollet Residence tower. The manager told me the timeline is to apply for the Demolition Permit next week, clear the site and actual construction should begin the 1st week in December. It appears they have a restaurant lined up for the Nicollet Mall side and are in talks with some retail businesses. We will have to wait-and-see if this all happens. However, the project manager was quite confident and consistent in the conversation. So, I'm confident this tower will be underway soon.
I'm not doubting you...but I had/have friends and contacts with many construction companies and they guaranteed the Nicollet was going to be built. The economy is changing....but it's just a horrible sign when the project gets shrinked.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 31st, 2012, 12:04 am

This block has great potential for a lot of uses. So if apartments don't work, something else will come along that will. But I think it's still premature to say this project is not going to happen.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 31st, 2012, 9:43 am

This block has great potential for a lot of uses. So if apartments don't work, something else will come along that will. But I think it's still premature to say this project is not going to happen.
Agree 100%. In fact, if this doesn't get built I'd actually be slightly relieved, as I think this block in particular could support a potential supertall or at the very least an office or mixed-use project that could yield more than apartments ever could. Bad market timing, I guess.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 31st, 2012, 9:50 am

I just want to see it filled up. It has been empty for soo long...several proposals have been floated the past 15 years and nothing(a possible hotel, possible mixed use tower, office building called 222 Marquette). I think it is crucial to the north end of Nicollet that this get developed soon! If they have indeed closed on their construction loan, hopefully it is just a matter of time.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » October 31st, 2012, 9:59 am

Although I don't doubt that the infrastructure there probably supports it, I don't think I would like a supertall on that sight. Going from parking lot to 1,000 footer across the street is a bit visually jarring, to say the least...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 31st, 2012, 10:43 am

...'Going from parking lot to 1,000 footer across the street is a bit visually jarring, to say the least...'
What, you've never been to Atlanta? :)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 31st, 2012, 11:31 am

Although I don't doubt that the infrastructure there probably supports it, I don't think I would like a supertall on that sight. Going from parking lot to 1,000 footer across the street is a bit visually jarring, to say the least...
As much as I want a new supertall in Minneapolis, this would not be the site I would choose. But I think a tower between 500-600 feet would work nicely.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 31st, 2012, 12:00 pm

...'Going from parking lot to 1,000 footer across the street is a bit visually jarring, to say the least...'
Bwahaha!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 31st, 2012, 12:07 pm

As much as I want a new supertall in Minneapolis, this would not be the site I would choose. But I think a tower between 500-600 feet would work nicely.
Supertall potential, not necessarily supertall site. The site could bolster a 500' to 800' "very-tall" and I'd be just as satisfied. My point was that the location and nearby amenities make this site more attractive to that kind of crowd than a 26 story apartment building.....and I've said that since day 1. Now if this one gets built I'm not going to piss and moan, but if it doesn't I won't be either.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » November 1st, 2012, 8:15 am

Actually, no, but I understand the reference. ;)

My understanding is that Atlanta ain't so easy on the eyes from street level, though, and I assume the lack of quality infill contributes to that...

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » November 1st, 2012, 11:46 am

I have mixed feelings about this development. I think this site should be getting something more than a stubby, residential high-rise. However, I know there is a good chance that we would have to wait decades to see a sizable (500ft - 900ft), mixed-use or office tower.