Re: Nic on Fifth - (455 Nicollet Mall)

Postby lorwest » March 2nd, 2013, 4:22 pm

And right side up, today:
NiconFifth.jpg

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 3rd, 2013, 8:46 pm

So I find it very intriguing that Opus constantly puts Xcel's future building's rendering next door to the Nic on Fifth, but on this rendering from the strib it shows something VERY different. Does anyone know if they plan to update the facade of the parking garage along with the apartments? That would really finish Nicollet well in the wait for Xcel...

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 3rd, 2013, 8:54 pm

I'd note that the 5th Street Towers don't seem to be there either...it looks like some filler building. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 3rd, 2013, 9:09 pm

Yeah, the 5th street towers are def there in the full image... It would just be cool, and a wise choice if they want to rent at a prime rate...

http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/o ... 263156.jpg

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 4th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Here's a good rendering from the damonfarber website ( landscape architects for the Nic on Fifth project) that includes the new Xcel building in a close up arial view. Looks like an attractive combination for the block.
http://damonfarber.com/wp-content/uploa ... nces-6.jpg

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 4th, 2013, 11:11 pm

First good view of what has become of the 'crown'

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » March 5th, 2013, 8:27 am

NO! Not another 'crown'! God have mercy on UrbanMSP!!!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 5th, 2013, 9:35 am

This is the first updated rendering most of us have seen of the upper and rear portions of the building since the height change and such. This rendering aside from the street presence which I think is wonderful (on Nicollet I wonder what 2nd will be like), is remarkably boring. A glass rectangle with arbitrarily placed stone (or god forbid something cementitious) accents, and balconies sticking out. The earlier crown gave it some interest, played well with the Library, and distinguished it a bit. Where is the interest? Set backs and architectural details, it's prime real estate...

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » March 5th, 2013, 11:18 am

This is the first updated rendering most of us have seen of the upper and rear portions of the building since the height change and such. This rendering aside from the street presence which I think is wonderful (on Nicollet I wonder what 2nd will be like), is remarkably boring. A glass rectangle with arbitrarily placed stone (or god forbid something cementitious) accents, and balconies sticking out. The earlier crown gave it some interest, played well with the Library, and distinguished it a bit. Where is the interest? Set backs and architectural details, it's prime real estate...
You mean having a second Skyscape isn't really doing it for you?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 5th, 2013, 11:49 am

I also liked the original cantilevered crown as well, but I think it would have looked really awkward on the revised 26 story project.

Let's face it , there are some of us here who realize this could have been something more. Like you say 5th and Nicollet is prime real estate. Yet, I think it still looks good ( beautiful street level at the intersection) and the two projects on this block will enhance the vitality of Nicollet Mall. A huge improvement over the vacant lot and crumbling parking ramp.

We still have many other underutilized surface parking lots etc. in the core where we need buildings. I hope one of these days someone will build something bold, cutting edge (used to be a more common occurence in Minneapolis in the late 20th century). I'm optimistic if the economy continues to improve we will see some new striking architecture downtown. Be patient! :)

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » March 5th, 2013, 3:27 pm

I think it's decent, but nothing impressive. It adds population mass and has solid street retail. IMO, those are what matter. As far as those praising the street presence, I typically find buildings that put columns out to the street with sidewalks under the building to be too dominating on the pedestrian. Not enough light. We'll see how this turns out though.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 5th, 2013, 3:36 pm

... As far as those praising the street presence, I typically find buildings that put columns out to the street with sidewalks under the building to be too dominating on the pedestrian. Not enough light. We'll see how this turns out though.
Can't you see the rendering?? It emanates light! Who needs the sun!
As for the crown, the original was just as uninteresting. Highly skewed renderings made it appear better than it was going to actually look (i.e. Ivy Hotel).
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 5th, 2013, 6:40 pm

As far as those praising the street presence, I typically find buildings that put columns out to the street with sidewalks under the building to be too dominating on the pedestrian. Not enough light. We'll see how this turns out though.
No , it really depends on how wide the sidewalk is between the columns and the street. From the rendering it looks like they've given the open sidewalk a good amount of space to breathe. I doubt it will be dark at all. I do agree with you though , this is really a decent 'wall' building that adds urban density. But it will have no impact on the skyline. It's not tall enough.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 8th, 2013, 7:40 am

Can anyone tell me if the Xcel building will be a block long, or is it just the footprint of the old parking garage? Will there still be an open 1/4 block at 4th and Marquette?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 8th, 2013, 8:17 am

It won't fill the whole block, there is a parcel held by a parking group on that NE corner.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 8th, 2013, 8:58 am

A few UrbanMSPers were at an event last night in the Dorsey space in 50 S 6th.... great view of this project. My phone died so I could not get a photo... did anyone else?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 8th, 2013, 1:49 pm

It won't fill the whole block, there is a parcel held by a parking group on that NE corner.
Wanted to make sure. I did not think it was, so there is a possiblity of another slender residential tower on that block.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » March 11th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Speaking of Skyscape, will this be taller than Skyscape or Grant Park?

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » March 11th, 2013, 12:46 pm

Speaking of Skyscape, will this be taller than Skyscape or Grant Park?
nope

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 11th, 2013, 1:14 pm

According to SkyscraperPage.com database, Nic on Fifth will be 307 feet tall , and Skyscape is 291 feet.