Kraus-Anderson, HQ Apartments, Finnegans "Brewtel" - 9th St S/5th Ave S

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: New Kraus-Anderson HQ (9th St. S/5th Ave. S)

Postby mister.shoes » August 21st, 2015, 9:51 am

This really is great. I wouldn't have been at all surprised if K/A had decided to leave for the 'burbs. Instead, they came back with something even better than I imagined.

Thrivent blocks: you're next.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 21st, 2015, 9:58 am

I absolutely LOVE this proposal and hope it happens. The past few years have really been amazing for Minneapolis. Sure we don't have a new supertall, but in many ways, everything that's been happening in the downtown core is perfect for long-term growth and success. It's just so much fun to watch!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 21st, 2015, 11:30 am

This is so great for this part of downtown. Finally a full block developed with diversity of users and architecture. Each portion is distinct from the others. And the underground parking. Amazing.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 21st, 2015, 11:47 am

The great part about this is that it has a different sort of destination use...brewery, event center, and business incubator. This is the kind of thing I was looking for on the Nic hotel block...something unique, and a draw.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » August 21st, 2015, 12:51 pm

This is sooooo much better than the previous proposals.

I want to see what this looks like from the opposite corner. The article mentions that there will be townhouses fronting the Portland side, but I'm hoping that there's at least one retail slot on the corner of Portland and 8th. With this many new residents in the neighborhood, there's more than enough people to support a small coffee shop or restaurant there.

What's even more exciting is that there will be a lot of pressure to develop the Wells Fargo lot once construction begins on this.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » August 21st, 2015, 1:04 pm

There is still a smallish retail spot in Skyscape available as well.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 21st, 2015, 7:22 pm

I think that was to be a wine and cheese shop at one time. The recession took the wind out of those sails. Hopefully with the apartment that are coming here and to the 1400 Park site will allow for more retail to thrive in that area.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 21st, 2015, 7:33 pm

With Finnegans probably vacating their current location at 609 10 St South, they probably won't need >100 spots on that site anymore. Hopefully PDJ decides to sell it off instead of just keep it for another tenant.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » August 21st, 2015, 8:39 pm

I think that was to be a wine and cheese shop at one time. The recession took the wind out of those sails. Hopefully with the apartment that are coming here and to the 1400 Park site will allow for more retail to thrive in that area.
I have a similar recollection. Yes I hope so.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 21st, 2015, 8:42 pm

The hotel , brewery , and KA headquarters look great and the project as a whole is awesome. My only gripe is the apartment proposal which has that generic "ESG look". The upper levels look like a carbon copy of Encore. It's almost annoying. Hopefully the architects will refine the design to create something a little more distinct.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » August 24th, 2015, 6:54 am

Honestly as someone looking at downtown apartments to live in, I would never want to live there. It's too far from grocery stores and I can only imagine the kind of noise a brewery full of drunk idiots would make at night and on weekends. I bet they'll try to charge rents right up there with other new developments to be kept up until 2am every weekend.

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » August 24th, 2015, 7:58 am

Most of the taprooms in NE close by midnight if not earlier. There are plenty of places to be a drunken idiot in downtown - I would not suspect that Finnegan's would be much of a draw for that type.

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » August 24th, 2015, 8:06 am

What I find most interesting about this development is how KA threw in everything after offering zero initially - isn't that how it played out? It reminds me of encouraging toddlers to share:

"Kraus, it would be nice for you to give Minneapolis a cookie. You have plenty and Minneapolis has none."

"FINE! Take my cookies! Take all of them! Have my juicebox, too - you want a brewery? THERE. And a HOTEL? TAKE IT! I'll even give you a WOONERF! AND HOUSING! OVER SIX STORIES! NOW ARE YOU HAPPY?"

Yes. I'm happy.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » August 24th, 2015, 8:52 am

What I find most interesting about this development is how KA threw in everything after offering zero initially - isn't that how it played out? It reminds me of encouraging toddlers to share:

"Kraus, it would be nice for you to give Minneapolis a cookie. You have plenty and Minneapolis has none."

"FINE! Take my cookies! Take all of them! Have my juicebox, too - you want a brewery? THERE. And a HOTEL? TAKE IT! I'll even give you a WOONERF! AND HOUSING! OVER SIX STORIES! NOW ARE YOU HAPPY?"

Yes. I'm happy.
Haha I lost it at work thanks!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 24th, 2015, 9:40 am

I think the issue was how the phasing and the parking was handled. Their initial plan allowed them to build their new HQ while keeping their old HQ operating, and it allowed them to take on very low risk because the costs for future phases weren't incurred until they built them.

The way the site worked, there wasn't really a middle ground -- once you went to a more ambitious program, they needed to go all the way. It requires them to move into temporary HQ space, and it requires them to incur the costs of building out all of the below grade parking infrastructure upfront. So once they make that leap on the initial costs, they're pretty much forced to build out the rest of the site to pay the mortgage.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » August 24th, 2015, 10:15 am

While the idea that the taproom will bring more noisy drunks to Elliot Park than there are anywhere else in Downtown/North Loop/Loring Park is laughable, the lack of services like a grocery store/bar/restaurant is true. While the taproom will help in the bar/restaurant category, grocery shopping is still somewhat of an issue. Sure Target is only six blocks away, but if you need a flank steak, poblano pepper or cotija cheese you need to go to Hennepin Ave Lunds.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 24th, 2015, 10:29 am

True, but there's a grocery store going into the Thresher Square development, which will be 7(?) blocks away. So that will help.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 24th, 2015, 10:49 am

Also CVS has a pretty good stock of grocery items. Easy stuff like milk, bread, fruits, etc.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » August 24th, 2015, 10:51 am

Yes. I'm happy.
That was basically my reaction as well. But I'm a cynic, so it had me wondering if they are really serious about all this stuff.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 24th, 2015, 10:56 am

And you're like a 6 minute one seat ride to Aldi on the 9. But then 9 isn't very frequent and I feel like I'm one of the few people in this city that can afford to not shop at Aldi but still chooses to (at least at the Franklin and Lake Aldi stores).