Nordic House - 729 Washington Av N

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Re: 729 Washington Av N

Postby Sacrelicio » November 11th, 2015, 8:32 pm

I work across the street from that development and I heard about the Bunker's opposition but I really don't get it. Some people are upset that the neighborhood is losing parking but a surface lot is a huge waste of space.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 13th, 2015, 5:21 pm

To arms! The NIMBY's have crossed the river and now the North Loop is under siege!

http://www.startribune.com/group-of-nor ... 347946461/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 13th, 2015, 5:23 pm

A little late now...

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » November 13th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Is this a joke? There is a 9 story building like a block away.
Meet me in Wells

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 13th, 2015, 10:30 pm

I think the city will not stop this building. Just from the increase in property taxes alone. Not to mention the they want to get rid of those parking lots and this project takes care of parking and residential. I see any appeal going no where in city hall or the courts.

I believe that the HPC has already signed off on this, but I might be wrong.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 13th, 2015, 10:37 pm

According to the Journal's development tracker the HPC gave approval on Sept 29th. They plan to start work in the first quarter of 2016. I'll be glad to get that big open parking lot filled up. Not sure they will need another coffee house with Spyhouse just up Washington from them 2 blocks. But the restaurant space will be nice to have, especially if it has that outdoor patio.
You're right

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 13th, 2015, 11:16 pm

The fastest way to settle this is for the NIMBYS to have to post a bond to cover any additional construction cost that would go up while it is taken care of in court, where I'm sure that they would not stand a chance to get their way. Especially with the city and the HPC behind the project.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 13th, 2015, 11:28 pm

Remember that the 6-story Venue in Dinkytown was accused of "looming over" the area, when there's a building more than three times as tall literally across the street. NIMBYs generally don't let fundamental inaccuracies in their arguments stand in their way.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » November 16th, 2015, 10:14 am

I don't know how successful this new opposition will be, but I'd encourage people to write to support this to help counteract them. It would really piss me off if they somehow killed this.

On another note: am I the only one who reads a bit of snark in the StarTrib article about the 7- and 9-story buildings visible from the site?

"But several condo owners and apartment renters worry about the shadows cast by the project and have formed a group called Neighbors for North Loop Livability. They say they’re anxious about the precedent set by a structure several stories taller than nearby structures. There are several buildings visible from the proposed site that are between seven and nine stories."

It sounds like a subtle disagreement that this will be excessively taller than the other nearby buildings.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » November 16th, 2015, 12:19 pm

The fastest way to settle this is for the NIMBYS to have to post a bond to cover any additional construction cost that would go up while it is taken care of in court, where I'm sure that they would not stand a chance to get their way. Especially with the city and the HPC behind the project.

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » November 16th, 2015, 12:26 pm

I guess I'm one of the few that does have some concern with the height of the building in the neighborhood...but my concern was mainly due to living right across the street (ElseWarehouse) from the proposed development and losing our view of the city (and the wonderful amount of sunlight we got in our living room).

So I guess I can understand the concerns of some of the existing residents in the area...

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 16th, 2015, 12:33 pm

To be honest, the reason I wouldn't want this project to lose a few floors not because it would really be detrimental to density in the area, but because we'd likely lose the high-quality materials and finishes that make this project fit in so well with the neighborhood. Same deal with the Nye's tower.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » November 16th, 2015, 12:38 pm

I guess I'm one of the few that does have some concern with the height of the building in the neighborhood...but my concern was mainly due to living right across the street (ElseWarehouse) from the proposed development and losing our view of the city (and the wonderful amount of sunlight we got in our living room).

So I guess I can understand the concerns of some of the existing residents in the area...

What, just because you lived in the neighborhood first you somehow have the right to instill artificial height restrictions on new development all because it might ruin your view? That seems a little restrictive and selfish. I don't disagree that your views might be ruined, but to say that you are obligated to have your views maintained without paying for it is off base. You want a great view of the city, buy it. You want to live in a 6-10 story building AND have a view of the city you absolutely cannot expect for other people who own their own property to withhold or delay progress in a neighborhood for the sake of adjacent properties.

Although, I will agree with you that loss of sunlight is something you should be concerned about. It is a tough balancing act.

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » November 16th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Actually the loss of sunlight was more of the concern (we didn't have a great city view out our window lol)...

I'm just thinking that it's going to become more "tunnel-like" down in that area now...and that's why we continue to rent - we can move around to a unit that gives us a better view! :)

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » November 16th, 2015, 12:48 pm

Actually the loss of sunlight was more of the concern (we didn't have a great city view out our window lol)...

I'm just thinking that it's going to become more "tunnel-like" down in that area now...and that's why we continue to rent - we can move around to a unit that gives us a better view! :)
I think you are right, that street/area will become more tunnel like. Is that a bad thing though? That's perhaps a naive question that oversimplifies the issue. There are many pros and cons to this "wonderful issue". Many neighborhoods would be more than happy to be experiencing this magnitude of development.

As a joking question (but also not joking) if sunlight is a concern of yours, why do you live so far north?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 16th, 2015, 1:03 pm

There is no such thing as "too tall" for the North Loop.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 16th, 2015, 1:20 pm

There is no such thing as "too tall" for the North Loop.

I'll disagree with you there, Anything over 12 stories is a stretch for that warehouse district. Sorry sunlight and city views are not a God given right unless you want to pay the price and live on the top floors and even that is never a guarantee. You compensate the owner of the property and pay for the air rights you can have all the views that you want for that particular property. But another property further away can still block the views so it is a wash to try and save a view of the city.
Another one of those where it depends on how it affects you. To drop height will mean lose of the parking ramp that will be unacceptable for the office building owners.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » November 16th, 2015, 1:38 pm

I'm sure it will feel like a tunnel at first, but only because right now there's a gaping hole on Washington where this is going. This has been the most obvious spot for further infill in the NL for years now... I'm glad it's finally happening.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » November 16th, 2015, 1:38 pm

Your right to a view ends at your property line. Want the view? Buy it.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 16th, 2015, 1:42 pm

I like me some streetwalls. :)