Dock Street Flats - (333 Washington Avenue North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Dock Street Apartments - (333 Washington Avenue North)

Postby Nathan » September 23rd, 2013, 3:33 pm

I really like the pattern on the silver paneling! Interestingly enough, I went by both this and Walked up the Mall in Uptown, where they were starting to put the exact same paneling, but in a darker color, on the back of the Walker Library...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 23rd, 2013, 8:47 pm

They are actually galvanized roofing tiles. The were used on the Jasmine26 building on Nicollet too.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » September 23rd, 2013, 8:51 pm

What is galvanizing roof tiles?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 24th, 2013, 9:20 am

I really like this very contemporary looking metal paneling going up on Dock Street and elsewhere. I'm thinking it must be quite durable yet fairly inexpensive to manufacture. It packs a lot of punch aesthetically with its metallic smooth surface or it can be given a nice pattern for a more textural or bas relief look. I like it when they mix it with stone or brick on a building for contrast. The silver paneling on Dock Street looks great!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 24th, 2013, 9:43 am

Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 24th, 2013, 9:44 am

I posted a story in the "Apartment Boom" thread about Hines working on their next project. The article uses the word "tower", so I assume their plans have not changed. In Hines' master plan from 2011, discussed at the beginning of this thread, there would be a 16-story building on this site: http://gis.co.hennepin.mn.us/property/m ... 2924131160

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » September 24th, 2013, 9:57 am

I've been excited to see what the finished product would look like on this part of the building and I am not disappointed. If nothing else it's nice to see a product other than brick being used!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 24th, 2013, 12:19 pm

I'm most excited to see the glass awnings go up on this one, those look amazing.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » September 24th, 2013, 1:35 pm

I posted a story in the "Apartment Boom" thread about Hines working on their next project. The article uses the word "tower", so I assume their plans have not changed. In Hines' master plan from 2011, discussed at the beginning of this thread, there would be a 16-story building on this site: http://gis.co.hennepin.mn.us/property/m ... 2924131160
where is/what is the "apartment boom thread?" You have me really interested and really lost on something... ?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 24th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Apartment Boom thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=958

It's under the "Anything Goes" category.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » September 24th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Thanks. ;)

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 25th, 2013, 9:25 am

I can't find the data to support this but if memory serves the 2nd phase was going to be office/retail mix (nothing substantial though), and the 3rd phase was going to be 200-250 units on a tiny plot, which is why I think people are using the word "tower", and I had originally guesstimated something at least 10-15 floors, but potentially higher (as code allows).

The more North Loop continues to build out, the more ideal I find this particular location compared to the rest of the projects. I can see this site being very attractive (moreso, anyways) by the time they are ready for Phase III.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 25th, 2013, 11:42 am

The articles I dug up all said 16 story tower with 200 residential units, which would make sense if, I'd imagine, the lower floors under the viaduct are parking...

2trill2spill
Block E

new apartment tower?

Postby 2trill2spill » October 3rd, 2013, 11:42 am

hi, this is my first post to the forum but now to the good stuff.

I was reading this minnpost article and i saw this interesting quote towards the bottom. "Luthman says Hines is in the early stages of evaluating a site it owns adjacent to Dock Street for a rental tower. “We’re bullish on it. [But] we’re in the early stages of our evaluation.”"

well here is the article, but has anybody else heard anything about it?
http://www.minnpost.com/twin-cities-bus ... ment-mania

twincitizen

Re: new apartment tower?

Postby twincitizen » October 3rd, 2013, 1:46 pm

Welcome to the forum. Awesome username too.

We've been discussing this proposed "tower" in the Dock Street Apartments topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=265&start=100

Until we have more information, discussion can probably be confined to that topic, rather than starting a new one. The rumored building is merely "phase two" of the original Dock Street plan. If you read through that entire topic thread, you'll find the plans in there somewhere, noting a 16-story building to be built adjacent to the 6-story building that's currently under construction.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: new apartment tower?

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 3rd, 2013, 3:08 pm

With all due respect, unless that plan was updated within the past year or so, I can definitely see Hines looking for something more substantial given the shape of the current housing market -- both downtown and the metro area as a whole. When the original plan was put together the market was just starting, and there was a lot of uncertainty regarding how well the market would absorb all of the new speculative development being proposed at the time. Now that we've seen the market absorb building after building of new construction, I can see a bullish company like Hines push the envelope a bit and propose something even larger than the original placeholder.

So maybe the article is touching on that (updated) energy, and not the original proposal? Just a thought...

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » October 6th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Right on the bike trail. Target Field is in the background.

Dock Street 10-5-13 by bapster2006, on Flickr

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Dock Street Flats - (333 Washington Avenue North)

Postby Wedgeguy » November 16th, 2013, 3:29 pm

From what I could see driving by was that most of the exterior is up on the building. They still have work to do in the ground floor fronting Washington. Is there an established move in date yet?

mkvi
Block E

Postby mkvi » November 18th, 2013, 11:49 am

I believe January 1 is still the earliest move in date. It was originally December but has been pushed out to January for some time now.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 21st, 2013, 11:37 am

While Walking in the loop yesterday I took a closer look at this project. The lowest level facing the trail, (see above pic with TyVek), are now oxide treated metal plates. The exterior is basically done with the exception of the east side facing the Union Plaza and Dock Street where they are putting up the metal panels that match the south end of the build. The sidewalks have been poured in front of the building with area for trees to be plants in the front. They still have to put up the façade for the street level facing Washington. But they should have this totally enclosed before or during the first week of December. This is a great addition to Washington.