RBC Plaza (former Gaviidae II)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: RBC Plaza / Gaviidae II renovation

Postby xandrex » October 8th, 2014, 11:35 am

Fixed^
Makes more sense, but I suppose my bigger question was: How will this fundamentally change Fifth? It already is a de-facto left-in/left-out because it's a single lane going one direction. Other than perhaps narrowing the lane and adding some greening, it would remain largely the same, no?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 8th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Fixed^
Makes more sense, but I suppose my bigger question was: How will this fundamentally change Fifth? It already is a de-facto left-in/left-out because it's a single lane going one direction. Other than perhaps narrowing the lane and adding some greening, it would remain largely the same, no?
There will be little if any retail or other real door other than entries on that section of fifth. I'm still trying to figure out if they are moving the ground floor of 510 out to the side walk on 5th. Or they are just getting rid of the sidewalk steps leading up to the setbacks?

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 8th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Thanks, I asked because I was wondering if it would be possible to move the entrance of the parking ramp from 5th to 6th street. One of my big ideas, hence the name, is to connect both ends of DT by turning 5th into a green way/pedestrian mall from the new Vikings stadium to Target Field. Obviously one of the single biggest challenge to accomplishing that is having ramp's entrances/exits on 5th.
Wow, this would actually be fantastic. I think that is a great idea. Does anyone know how heavily 5th is used?
Sorry, this is getting off-topic..
That really is a great idea! I sure hope you take the time to suggest that to the city several times to give them the opportunity to consider including it into the long term plan. Having a East West Nicollet Ave would really enhance downtown. Now is it realistic parking ramps like RBC Plaza would invest the funds to switch the location? Is accessibility that important and does the current design cause to much traffic delays? I never seen much traffic on 5th either now that I think about it. You sure live up to your name BigIdeasGuy haha

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 9th, 2014, 8:34 am

That really is a great idea! I sure hope you take the time to suggest that to the city several times to give them the opportunity to consider including it into the long term plan. Having a East West Nicollet Ave would really enhance downtown. Now is it realistic parking ramps like RBC Plaza would invest the funds to switch the location? Is accessibility that important and does the current design cause to much traffic delays? I never seen much traffic on 5th either now that I think about it. You sure live up to your name BigIdeasGuy haha
I'm not sure that 5th Street would make a good E-W Nicollet Mall. Other than the light rail, there's not a whole lot of action going on. Moving ramp entrances isn't going to change that.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 9th, 2014, 8:38 am

We need all of our east-west streets to improve, but the ones that I think have the most potential are Washington, 3rd (as a neighborhood main street similar to 2nd), 9th and/or 10th (connecting the CBD with Elliot Park). 5th? Notsomuch. But we could still vacate 5th from the Armory eastward.

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » October 9th, 2014, 9:24 pm

I walked through the skyway level today. They have finished filling in the atrium at the third floor level. I'm rather surprised at how cheaply it's all being done. Basically the ceiling is just bare beams and floor decking with some acoustic panels hanging below it. It looks really jarring with the remaining original finishes (which, though rather gaudy, were at least more expensive materials). It certainly doesn't looks like a first class office space to me.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » December 5th, 2014, 3:46 pm

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » December 5th, 2014, 3:50 pm

I walked through the skyway level today. They have finished filling in the atrium at the third floor level. I'm rather surprised at how cheaply it's all being done. Basically the ceiling is just bare beams and floor decking with some acoustic panels hanging below it. It looks really jarring with the remaining original finishes (which, though rather gaudy, were at least more expensive materials). It certainly doesn't looks like a first class office space to me.
I just walked through today. It definitely is jarring -- and those accoustical panels are just plain weird and do not match with the "feel" of the rest of the space. I don't like it.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 5th, 2014, 5:50 pm

I just walked through today. It definitely is jarring -- and those accoustical panels are just plain weird and do not match with the "feel" of the rest of the space. I don't like it.
I walk thru for the first time in awhile today too and was puzzled by the hap hazard styles that are going on in there. Did see a new eat place that was now open. Some salad place.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 24th, 2015, 11:02 am

Walked thru yesterday and was surprised to see how bright and airy the 3 levels are. Looks like they have leased out the basement level already and there is a cool glass box conference room where the old fountain used to be. There is a Salad place on the skyway level and there is an Ameriprize rep that has space on the skyway level also. WIll have to see what happens with the rest of the retail space. The exterior is looking much better now that the rest of the stone and glass are going up.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » January 26th, 2015, 4:36 pm

Here is the inside.

ImageGavidae 2 1-26-15 by bapster2006, on Flickr

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » January 28th, 2015, 11:15 am

I think I like it. I've walked through it fairly regularly on my lunch hour and it looks well done. Instead of looking like a second rate Gaviidae, it now has it's own style.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 28th, 2015, 12:15 pm

I don't like that they lowered the newly lowered ceiling even more with those hanging panels. I think they should have kept it as high as possible with lots of lighting...the center looks so dark to me now. Also, kind of sad this isn't really a shopping "arcade" anymore...but I guess that hadn't been working too well for a long time. I am also curious how they will handle the odd dead end into the Centerpoint HQ.

Hopefully Gaviidae I (I think the only one that will still be called Gaviidae) can retain that shopping arcade feel, and will be able to retain some retail. Interested how the new Walgreens/exiting Saks will effect the feel of that place and it's connection to IDS.
Last edited by mnmike on January 28th, 2015, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » January 28th, 2015, 12:18 pm

I don't like that they lowered the newly lowered ceiling even more with those hanging panels. I think they should have kept it as high as possible with lots of lighting...the center looks so dark to me now. Also, kind of sad this isn't really a shopping "arcade" anymore...but I guess that hadn't been working too well for a long time. I am also curious how they will handle the odd dead end into the Centerpoint HQ.
I was thinking they still had that spot available for retail, the wall doesn't look permanent... Unless that's all slated for offices already?
Hopefully Gaviidae I (I think the only one that will still be called Gaviidae) can retain that shopping arcade feel, and will be able to retain some retail. Interested how the new Walgreens will effect the feel of that place and it's connection to IDS.
Gaviidae I was converted to mostly offices years ago, wasn't it? I believe it's forbidden to take the escalators above the second floor unless you work there.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 28th, 2015, 12:23 pm

I meant the bottom 2 floors remaining retail and the open atrium feel. Though there are already some office type spaces on the bottom two floors even, yes...but hopefully they will remain leasable retail space. Everything is so nitpicked apart here, sheesh.

Also, I think you can take the escalator up...maybe not anymore though. At least before the renovations to Gaviidae II the upper skyway was open to the public.

As for the "dead end" I mentioned...the new Centerpoint HQ is right behind that...so unless they put a retail bay in front of that...
Kind of awkward how that building has been divided up, I wonder if there will be a big entrance to the Centerpoint HQ through this building? Also, I think the way this is divided kind of blocks a skyway from going through there across 5th...to all the new residents.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 28th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Was there ever the possibility of putting a skyway between Centerpoint (or Neiman Marcus) and Nic on 5th? I didn't think that was ever a possibility, and is almost certainly not going to happen now with the skyway level of Centerpoint being 100% private. Centerpoint's building will have retail facing Nicollet Mall. I wonder if it will only be accessible from the street or if you'll be able to enter via RBC Plaza (Gaviidae II).

So are they keeping the 4th level skyway between the Gaviidaes then? I suppose it's not worth dismantling, but I'd imagine it is blocked off on the RBC side now that the food court is gone. I wonder if they (or Gaviidae I) will use it for anything...it could make a cool office / meeting space.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 28th, 2015, 12:47 pm

Given that the city had to twist Centerpoint's arm to even get them to put in the required streetfront retail, I doubt there's going to be retail inside the building as well. I would expect a Centerpoint entrance in the building, though maybe not on both floors.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 28th, 2015, 12:49 pm

Was there ever the possibility of putting a skyway between Centerpoint (or Neiman Marcus) and Nic on 5th? I didn't think that was ever a possibility, and is almost certainly not going to happen now with the skyway level of Centerpoint being 100% private. Centerpoint's building will have retail facing Nicollet Mall. I wonder if it will only be accessible from the street or if you'll be able to enter via RBC Plaza (Gaviidae II).

So are they keeping the 4th level skyway between the Gaviidaes then? I suppose it's not worth dismantling, but I'd imagine it is blocked off on the RBC side now that the food court is gone. I wonder if they (or Gaviidae I) will use it for anything...it could make a cool office / meeting space.
There certainly was when Neimans was still there...as there used to be a skyway across 5th! It went to nowhere for many years, but used to connect to the Powers building. It was taken down for LRT construction... Don't you recall the initial plans for the LRT stop there having a direct connection to that skyway? Up until the Centerpoint deal, I beileve a skyway here was almost a given.

Here is the initial plan for Nic on 5th showing the skyway back in place, where it was...
Last edited by mnmike on January 28th, 2015, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » January 28th, 2015, 12:59 pm

Everything is so nitpicked apart here, sheesh.
I was just asking questions, I genuinely did not know. :?
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 28th, 2015, 1:00 pm

Sorry :)