RBC Plaza (former Gaviidae II)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: RBC Plaza (former Gaviidae II)

Postby Silophant » January 2nd, 2016, 5:06 pm

Re: the Block E theaters. We've discussed this at some length on a few occasions. If you went to the movies at Block E, it was pretty clear that it was not a thriving enterprise. They were forced out because under the terms of their lease, they were effectively paying no rent (rent was based on revenue, and since their revenue was so low, it was nothing). From the theater's point of view, they didn't want to leave because they could make money as long as they weren't paying any rent. From the landlord's point of view, it's pretty obvious why they wanted them out of there.
Ah. I basically only went to weekend blockbuster showings, so they seemed successful when I was there.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 2nd, 2016, 8:19 pm

My look at it is they had a lousy business plan. They built a 14 plex for downtown that does not have captive residential to fill those large theaters. Had they been built with the amenities that are now in many of the movie houses, (Alcohol and hot food), it might have made a trip downtown worth it. But I don't think those amenities were even trending yet out on the coasts when this was being designed. Block E was a poorly executed blunder in layout that came into being about 5 years before it should have.
Had E block opened about the same time as the Twins Stadium it might have helped out a lot. Having a destination theater with the perks we now expect at many theaters today. I know that they were trying to fill the top level, but they just over built for what the DT market would bear at the time. I think an 8 plex is the most you can get for the DT market. Any future DT theaters will have to be built as destination theaters with all the works. Something that the suburbs don't have, and people are willing to travel DT for.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 2nd, 2016, 8:23 pm

Yeah Block E didn't provide anything unique, it just happened to be the most convenient for me.

Michael
City Center

Postby Michael » January 4th, 2016, 3:50 pm

My look at it is they had a lousy business plan. They built a 14 plex for downtown that does not have captive residential to fill those large theaters.
Agreed. They had already closed by the time the SOO Line had opened, so I can't personally gauge what the demand was. Even so (and though I was the one who suggested a Cinema downtown) 14 screens really doesn't strike me as sustainable even today.
Any future DT theaters will have to be built as destination theaters with all the works. Something that the suburbs don't have, and people are willing to travel DT for.
On this point I'm not so sure. I think it depends on what the defined Market is. If the goal is to pull people in for from the Suburbs, it would have to be a true destination theater (possible IMAX, high-end amenities, etc.) and I'm not sure there is enough draw.

I DO think that a modern, state-of-the-art theatre in the 4-8 screen range that is skyway connected and very near (or ideally next to) the LRT; priced similarly to the current Best-Of-Breed suburban theatres could do quite well. Given the lack of Theatres of that type near the UofM Campus, and the increasing number of residents downtown year-round, (and even the warehouse district/north loop), there is an audience for the price-sensitive student/graduate/new professionals (and us few empty nesters) of sufficient numbers to make it work where it couldn't work 5 years ago.

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » January 4th, 2016, 6:49 pm

I would love to see a movie theater incorporated into a mixed use/residential development at 11th and Hennepin.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 5th, 2016, 1:19 pm

That would be nice. The near-total lack of places to eat anything after 5pm that isn't a sit-down restaurant makes downtown suck.
For a brief second I thought this was a criticism of downtown St Paul, not downtown Minneapolis. :P

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » January 21st, 2016, 2:29 pm