Union Restaurant - (733 Hennepin Avenue)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Konante
Nicollet Mall

Union Restaurant - (733 Hennepin Avenue)

Postby Konante » August 3rd, 2012, 1:45 pm

I figure at this stage the Union Restaurant/Shea Inc. project deserves its own thread. Here's the link to the article (again).

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/ta ... ml?refer=y

4-d
Metrodome

Re: 733 Hennepin Ave (Union Restaurant)

Postby 4-d » August 7th, 2012, 9:43 am

Dang. I am glad the rending included the retractable roof. I was wondering what that would look like. I am also interested in hearing more about the place in the basement.
^ 4-d

Neptune
City Center

Re: Union Restaurant - (733 Hennepin Avenue)

Postby Neptune » September 3rd, 2012, 1:08 am

Here's a render (higher res render available in the Star Tribune link above)

UrbanMSP user Spearson took these pics about a month ago:

This is one of my favorite projects in the Twin Cities. Really looking forward to it.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » September 3rd, 2012, 1:35 am

Agreed! Definitely going to liven up that corner as well as the theater district. I just wish something would happen with the old building north and old Skyway Theater building.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » September 3rd, 2012, 9:25 am

I wish they'd go back to the old proposal of tearing down the Skyway Theater building and putting up a large hotel/office building. If I recall the building was supposed to be in the 50 story range.
The Teener (?) building could be could be really impressive if someone were to refurbish it!Although I don't know what it would be good for other than boutique offices or apartments.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » September 3rd, 2012, 4:07 pm

I don't really think a 50 story building would really fit - especially next to the Teener building, etc.

spearson
Union Depot

Postby spearson » September 4th, 2012, 10:47 am

Updated picture of about a week ago, looks like most of the floor structure is in place, and cooling units were hoisted up and placed at the far end:

*Edit - oh and it looks like the front entrance has come a long way as well.

spearson
Union Depot

Postby spearson » September 21st, 2012, 9:56 am

Making great progress!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 21st, 2012, 10:46 am

Actually, it's amazing what DOESN'T get done in over 2 weeks! But I realize that much work is likely being done on the inside as well as the outside. Look at the two pics though, the main difference is the extension of the partial 3rd floor and that metal rail......that's it!

spearson
Union Depot

Postby spearson » September 21st, 2012, 2:48 pm

Actually, there is a complete second layer of flooring support laid down, all of the rails, flashing (for lack of a better word) below the rails, the framed partial third floor, roof work which we can't see, and they tore up and already poured new concrete sidewalk around the entrance. All of the railings and framing in the back pretty much went up in one week.

They've also taken down all the scaffolding, save for the section on the street which is sealed up because they are storing stuff inside of it.

spearson
Union Depot

Postby spearson » September 21st, 2012, 2:55 pm

Quick note, the skinny posts where the rails are in the previous picture were replaced with actual sections of railing. They hoisted them up section by section last week. This week they been doing continued welding around the bottom of all the railings adding the plating (or flashing as I mentioned above). I think those previous posts were used to hold a safety cable that stretched around the roof line.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » September 21st, 2012, 9:37 pm

I love that we're going to have another restaurant with rooftop seating on Hennepin. Things at street level still need a lot of work in this area, but it's a great atmosphere to be in where you're sitting up there and enjoying a good meal and a great view of the city.

spearson
Union Depot

Postby spearson » October 2nd, 2012, 12:31 pm

On my lunch today, I noticed that there is a Union Restaurant hiring office in the first floor corner of Lasalle Plaza (8th and Lasalle corner). Makes we wonder how far the interior of the building is coming.

As for the building as I can see, more work on the roof with structural support for the retractable stuff is going up, and it appears they are laying a stone floor or something. They've been laying roughly 2-3ft squares down over the last two weeks - almost all covered.

No picture today.

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » October 14th, 2012, 6:41 am

If anyone is curious, I talked to a CRAVE/Union employee last night who said the main floor is actually called Marquee and will be a night club only open Thursday-Saturday 9pm-2am. Marquee will not have seats at their bar and will be focusing primarily on VIP bottle service.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » October 14th, 2012, 7:43 am

Ah, yeah, thanks! Quite the tidbit!

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 14th, 2012, 10:11 am

So much for adding to an active streetlife on Hennepin...

I guess it's an improvement over what it has been the last couple years. (vacant and ugly)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 14th, 2012, 10:53 am

robotlollipop wrote:If anyone is curious, I talked to a CRAVE/Union employee last night who said the main floor is actually called Marquee and will be a night club only open Thursday-Saturday 9pm-2am. Marquee will not have seats at their bar and will be focusing primarily on VIP bottle service.
Do we think there are enough massive, massive D-Bags with cash to burn to support a place like this?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 14th, 2012, 12:49 pm

MNdible wrote:
robotlollipop wrote:If anyone is curious, I talked to a CRAVE/Union employee last night who said the main floor is actually called Marquee and will be a night club only open Thursday-Saturday 9pm-2am. Marquee will not have seats at their bar and will be focusing primarily on VIP bottle service.
Do we think there are enough massive, massive D-Bags with cash to burn to support a place like this?
I can't tell what kind of clientelle this bar is trying to attract......obviously big spenders, but is it going to be the kind of place office managers bring their clients to? Or is it going to be a higher-end Imperial Room, with a more mixed crowd but with people who are just interested in having a chill time (although Imperial Room is usually too packed to be truly "chill")?

P.S. I think there is a big difference between a place like Imperial Room and say, Brothers or Cowboy Slims, which truly attract D-bags. Actually, any place that is primarily a dance club or cheap beer is going to be douschey (I have NO idea how to spell "douschey"!).

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 14th, 2012, 3:42 pm

"Douchey", perhaps?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 14th, 2012, 5:41 pm

To each their own, I guess, but for me, VIP bottle service just screams self-important people with nothing better to spend their money on.

Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”