Soltva Apartments - (701 Second Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mplser
US Bank Plaza

Soltva Apartments - (701 Second Street North)

Postby mplser » June 1st, 2012, 5:01 pm

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Soltva apartments

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 1st, 2012, 5:55 pm

Where is this again?

spectre000
Union Depot

Postby spectre000 » June 1st, 2012, 6:34 pm

701 2nd Street. North Loop.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 1st, 2012, 6:44 pm

I rode by this project other day on my bike, and was pleasantly surprised at how much better the design of this building is compared to the renderings. A nice addition to the North Loop.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 2nd, 2012, 12:03 am

Hate the color of the cladding. Still prefer the original silver/red.
Towns!

spectre000
Union Depot

Postby spectre000 » June 2nd, 2012, 10:14 am

Full sized photos,

DSCN1177 by spectre 000, on Flickr

DSCN1176 by spectre 000, on Flickr

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 2nd, 2012, 10:49 am

Great photos Spectre! Actually the coloration of the facade looks better than the original rendering with the silver and red. They use three colors which breaks up the building's bulk more, making it look less monolithic than the 1960's Soviet style feeling of the original rendering. The black really sets off the white and beige colors nicely. The building's warmish beige brick relates well to the surrounding neighborhood. It's very modern and distinct , yet blends in the with character of the North Loop. Well done!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 2nd, 2012, 11:53 pm

I'm with those that would have preferred the red and silver. THis is too generic for my taste. A bit of Bookman's Stack WOW would have been better in this place. MAybe the finished product will not be as bad. THought the Medical building across from the Guthrie was going to be hidious, but in the end I very much like the building and the different colors and textures of the stone, metal, and glass.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 4th, 2012, 7:54 am

The light-colored fake brick siding looks terrible, IMO. I live just down the street and walk my dogs by this place a couple times a week, and I hope I'll start liking it as I continue to get used to it. Hasn't happened so far.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 4th, 2012, 3:38 pm

Konante wrote:The light-colored fake brick siding looks terrible, IMO. I live just down the street and walk my dogs by this place a couple times a week, and I hope I'll start liking it as I continue to get used to it. Hasn't happened so far.
Well, it's not a striking design, but It's definitely better looking than the developer's awful Solhem apartment project in Uptown. Image

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 11th, 2012, 8:23 am

A couple shots from this weekend:

I really dislike the fake light brown brick and suspect it won't age well. But, some of the street level areas look like they will connect well with the sidewalk. Possibly some useful retail?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 11th, 2012, 12:50 pm

The side of the building with the black facade looks fantastic. It's too bad they couldn't have done that instead of that tan color on the whole building. I really like the idea behind all of these "Sol-" projects, but the buildings themselves all look awful, for the most part.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 12th, 2012, 2:49 am

Was by it again today,that fake brick looks very cheap and hideios.Would have preferred the more industrial look for the silve metal amd some Red porcelain panels. This stuff makes for some really cheap and bad design. Bad exterior design now seems the norm!! That has to stop. Now when ever I hear that BVK is the designer I cring with fear for the worse designs to be put forth.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 12th, 2012, 8:07 am

Wedgeguy wrote:Was by it again today,that fake brick looks very cheap and hideios.
It really does look awful. I'll grab some closer-up shots of it to share in the coming day or two. As you noted, however, the black/silver looks solid. I can't go further than "solid" because I'm biased by my distaste for the obvious cheapness of the overall project.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » July 6th, 2012, 8:38 am

The fences around this project came down in the last few days as the exterior is nearly complete.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » July 6th, 2012, 9:40 am

A shame, Maybe half of the units are more expensive then, since half of the building is appointed nicely, and the other half in cheap brick facade? har har.

Jrl
Block E

Postby Jrl » July 9th, 2012, 8:41 pm

I happen to like the two colors of brick with the shiny steel corners. I biked by it the other day and I think the dark brick combined with the glass along the first floor provides a nice mix along 2nd Street. It looks like there's going to be an open area with a path that connects to a tunnel in the warehouse behind it to Washington Avenue. I think this is going to be a really cool connection between the long blocks through the N.loop.

The white & glass balconies are pretty unique and look much better than all the cement board BKV projects in uptown all with the same cheap steel/wood balconies. It would be cool to see what it's like to be on one of those top floor balconies with the glass sides.

It will try and bike by it agin and see what it looks like once construction is finished.

Btw gret job on getting this forum back up! It is too bad the old minneascarper died all of a sudden.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 9th, 2012, 9:28 pm

The front of this building is SLICK! I like it when developers are able to find a cheap way to create interesting architecture and building fascades!

I'm not a fan of those balconies though -- they look incredibly cheap and tacky. I don't see them aging well with the building either.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » July 10th, 2012, 11:45 am

I still do not like it at all. It's arguably stylish from afar, but I think it looks cheap and I think it will age extremely poorly.

Here's a shot from this morning, from the back:

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 12th, 2012, 9:02 am

It's actually much better than the architect's Uptown apartment building: "The Solhem". Given that, I still would not hire this architect to design anything. He needs to take a course on articulating a facade to give it a three dimensional quality. The building looks too flat. The architect is obsessed with a painterly aspect of designing a facade, and deludes himself he's creating "artsy" architecture. The best part of the exterior is the section with black siding, which ironically gives some 3-d quality to the building.

Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”