Downtown Minneapolis Office Market

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
eastharrietguy
City Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Office Market

Postby eastharrietguy » September 26th, 2019, 5:30 pm

There is no question that there is more going on in DT Mpls, but DT St. Paul has a lot to offer. Some of my favorite restaurants are in DT St. Paul:Meritage, St. Paul Grill and Pazzaluna. I understand there are some great spots in Lowertown as well. I would also argue that Rice Park is easily the best urban space in the cities... beautiful buildings all around. I would hope more firms would consider DT St. Paul over the suburb if they feel DT Mpls is too expensive.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 26th, 2019, 5:46 pm

I really liked working downtown St. Paul. Wish we were still there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

grrdanko
Nicollet Mall

Postby grrdanko » September 26th, 2019, 7:29 pm

eastharrietguy wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 5:30 pm
There is no question that there is more going on in DT Mpls, but DT St. Paul has a lot to offer. Some of my favorite restaurants are in DT St. Paul:Meritage, St. Paul Grill and Pazzaluna. I understand there are some great spots in Lowertown as well. I would also argue that Rice Park is easily the best urban space in the cities... beautiful buildings all around. I would hope more firms would consider DT St. Paul over the suburb if they feel DT Mpls is too expensive.

Saint Paul is one of the nicest suburbs of Minneapolis, but many businesses would like to be located in the central city.

SurlyLHT
US Bank Plaza

Postby SurlyLHT » September 27th, 2019, 8:12 am

eastharrietguy wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 5:30 pm
St Paul does have better urban spaces. The parks are dispersed throughout the CBD. I loved going to Rice Park during my breaks when I worked in Downtown St Paul. I walk over to the Commons in Downtown Minneapolis, but by the time I get there I need to turn back. The Government Center's 7th St park is nice though, but no Rice Park.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 27th, 2019, 8:25 am

Downtown St Paul has some great urban spaces, but in between them it's real gross. Walking down 6th St between Rice Park and Mears Park is very depressing.

SurlyLHT
US Bank Plaza

Postby SurlyLHT » September 27th, 2019, 8:41 am

Be awesome if Mpls put a linear park on 5th St. connecting US Bank Stadium to Nicollet Mall. (If it went past Hennepin I fee it would mess with traffic too much.) This would make green space accessible to many Downtown workers.

phop
Nicollet Mall

Postby phop » September 27th, 2019, 8:54 am

St. Paul's interfacing with the river is still very bad in downtown. Granted, it has more of a severe bluff to deal with than Minneapolis, but Minneapolis is working towards a world-class river park on the downtown periphery, while St. Paul is still trying to figure out simply how to get people past the rail and car barriers.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 27th, 2019, 10:05 am

Didier wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 4:40 pm
Not speaking specifically to the downtown, but I think it’s easy for west metro/Minneapolis people to equate St. Paul being smaller with St. Paul being irrelevant, when really St. Paul and the east metro in general have their own smaller but similar ecosystem. Like for me there was a long time when I’d never go to Uptown or much of anywhere in Minneapolis, and instead Grand Avenue served the same purpose.
Downtown St. Paul is definitely not irrelevant. While I worked over there, it was funny to hear east metro folks talk about how they hadn't been over to Minneapolis in months ("Why would I?"). It's truly its own smaller system.

alexschief
Rice Park

Postby alexschief » September 27th, 2019, 11:54 am

xandrex wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 10:05 am
Didier wrote:
Not speaking specifically to the downtown, but I think it’s easy for west metro/Minneapolis people to equate St. Paul being smaller with St. Paul being irrelevant, when really St. Paul and the east metro in general have their own smaller but similar ecosystem. Like for me there was a long time when I’d never go to Uptown or much of anywhere in Minneapolis, and instead Grand Avenue served the same purpose.
Downtown St. Paul is definitely not irrelevant. While I worked over there, it was funny to hear east metro folks talk about how they hadn't been over to Minneapolis in months ("Why would I?"). It's truly its own smaller system.
As a non-native, and someone who has only ever lived between the downtowns (Mac Groveland, Como, and Prospect Park), this perspective really frustrates me. If your orbit is confined by the political geography of the two central counties and cities, you're missing out on a lot.

I wish more people treated it as one city that just happens to have two downtowns.

SurlyLHT
US Bank Plaza

Postby SurlyLHT » September 27th, 2019, 12:01 pm

alexschief wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 11:54 am
xandrex wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 10:05 am
Didier wrote:
As a non-native, and someone who has only ever lived between the downtowns (Mac Groveland, Como, and Prospect Park), this perspective really frustrates me. If your orbit is confined by the political geography of the two central counties and cities, you're missing out on a lot.

I wish more people treated it as one city that just happens to have two downtowns.
I don't think they'll ever be treated as one city. It's an age old rivalry which has lessoned. There is a reason Minne and Paul are shaking hands at Target Field. With that said I know many in the St Paul area which don't go to Minneapolis often.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 27th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Maybe it's because I've lived near the border since 2009, but this is always how I've experienced it. There are things in both, and they're really not all that different. I think a lot of it just comes to where you live.

Like, if you live in Uptown, you probably don't spend a lot of time in St. Paul, but you're probably also not getting dinner at Holy Land or Jax Cafe in Northeast all that often, either. And for a lot of South Minneapolis, the nearest commercial district of note is in Highland Park. So I don't really buy that a lot of people refuse to cross the river due to some sort of rivalry; it's just that people often don't have a super compelling reason to go to random neighborhoods that aren't very close to them.

Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”