Portland Tower - 516 S. 8th St.

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Stanton Condo Building - 516 S. 8th St.

Postby John » August 28th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Yes, Stantonesque to the core! But really doesn't look too bad with the exception of the ramp.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 28th, 2014, 12:15 pm

Agreed the design is simple and unoffensive except that podium :/

Did it say there was retail?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 28th, 2014, 12:15 pm

Looks better than the Eclipse.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 28th, 2014, 12:29 pm

Seems like this site is less good than some of the other available locations.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 28th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Could be better, but it sure could be a lot worse. As much as a we would like more height, I see this site as a tier 2 site. Too far from the river, Just outside the downtown core, a ways from the amenities, but still within walking distance. I do not see too many $1M condo units in this building. More smaller 1 and 2 bedroom units for those who work downtown and want to own. For the location of this building I think they did pretty good. Without a stronger condo market I doubt that you could get a larger project financed.

Plus, this will keep him busy so that hopefully we will see a better Ecliplse proposal in the future where it would be on a tier 1 site and hopefully a stronger market in the future.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 28th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Looks like a shorter version of the nearby "Skyscape":

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 28th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Looks like a shorter version of the nearby "Skyscape":
Could not agree with you more. Hopefully it will help to spur development south of 7th on those empty lots. But the area does need some neighborhood retail to really work. Let's hope that is part of this development and others to come.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 28th, 2014, 1:16 pm

For those complaining about the 3 stories of parking at the base. I'm curious as to how you might suggest something better.
I'm honestly curious. The Sexton 1 building is without parking - so Sexton 2 needs to incorporate it. Are you proposing he dig down three levels, or just make the block more pleasing to your eye?

I think the building will be a beautiful addition to KA's new HQ building across the street. 8th is really going to look nice.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.972439, ... QTsQ2Q!2e0

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 28th, 2014, 1:26 pm

For those complaining about the 3 stories of parking at the base. I'm curious as to how you might suggest something better.
No, I don't' think anyone's opposed to the parking podium. It's the exterior façade which appears very blank from the rendering. Needs to be spruced up a bit. Plus the street level should have some retail. That's all.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » August 28th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Well, obviously we're not the developer ponying up the money (and specifically for condos, a lot of risk), & so, yes, the aguments against parking podiums are based on our own aesthetic preferences. On one hand, the shared parking and more people living downtown (plus hopefully more ground-level businesses) is certainly part of a long-term movement to getting fewer and fewer parking spaces with each new development (virtuous cycle), so I'll take it. On the other hand, it does mean the streetscape is stuck with a very bland screen for stories 2-4 (a large part of what the pedestrian sees) for the next 50 years or so. Whether the tower design is your cup of tea or not (see negative comments sections on any proposal, including this one), I think everyone can agree the blandness of the podium screen is even worse than "poor quality materials" or "generic design that won't stand the test of time".

My opinion: aside from the parking podium this is some great infill and glad to see Stanton is still at least willing to play ball in downtown. Pure speculation before site plans are actually released: is the parking entrance right on 8th or is that just an odd section of the building's frontage?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 28th, 2014, 1:36 pm

I'm ok with parking podiums but they can and should be better integrated into the design of the building. This is just... lame. In a general sense, I would love for parking podiums to start on the 3rd floor rather than the 2nd. It makes a huge difference.
Towns!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 28th, 2014, 1:39 pm

Or just make the garage taller and add units to the outside... which i understand is technically more difficult.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » August 28th, 2014, 1:55 pm

As long as there is ground-level retail, I'm fine with a parking podium. It gives artificial height to the building for the number of units proposed.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 28th, 2014, 3:07 pm

Here is a situation where I will say..."I wish it were taller". Only because I liked the previous 34 story proposal for the site, and this is pretty blah. I guess the other had an ugly parking podium too.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 28th, 2014, 3:25 pm

I don't know much about the parking though but I do have a friend of a friend who lives at the Sexton and he was told that he will be able to purchase a parking space at 50% market, for 12K.
I'm curious about this. Development on this site, in any form past or present, has always touted that it would provide parking for residents of Sexton Lofts.

1. Where have those folks been parking for the past X years?
2. Would they really purchase parking in this new building? Or lease it monthly? Seems like a really complicated deal. Seems even weirder that Stanton would sell parking spaces for less than market rate. What's the incentive to build it if you don't even break even on it?

I read the F&C print edition at lunch, so I can share a nugget regarding The Eclipse (but really don't want to revive that disaster of a thread, as this is basically non-news): Stanton says it's on hold for now. He wants to continue discussions with the city regarding parking. He firmly believes he needs 1.8 stalls per unit and the maximum allowed is 1.6. No applications were ever submitted to the city. He says most of his buyers want to own two spaces and every building he owns has offers on the bulletin board looking to buy another space.

It will be interesting to see what amount of parking gets proposed for this project. 105 units would mean anywhere from 168-189 spaces for this building, plus whatever he intends to build for Sexton. I assume he is not building 1 space for every unit in Sexton, but rather a limited number of stalls for sale.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 28th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Isn't Sexton doing something crazy like permanently valet parking cars? Or was that back when the developer wasn't bankrupt?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 28th, 2014, 4:31 pm

I actually kind of like the podium. Hard to tell what it is, but whether it's sandstone or painted concrete, it won't look as bad as everyone is saying once it's done.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » August 28th, 2014, 4:37 pm

I don't know much about the parking though but I do have a friend of a friend who lives at the Sexton and he was told that he will be able to purchase a parking space at 50% market, for 12K.
I'm curious about this. Development on this site, in any form past or present, has always touted that it would provide parking for residents of Sexton Lofts.

1. Where have those folks been parking for the past X years?
2. Would they really purchase parking in this new building? Or lease it monthly? Seems like a really complicated deal. Seems even weirder that Stanton would sell parking spaces for less than market rate. What's the incentive to build it if you don't even break even on it?

I read the F&C print edition at lunch, so I can share a nugget regarding The Eclipse (but really don't want to revive that disaster of a thread, as this is basically non-news): Stanton says it's on hold for now. He wants to continue discussions with the city regarding parking. He firmly believes he needs 1.8 stalls per unit and the maximum allowed is 1.6. No applications were ever submitted to the city. He says most of his buyers want to own two spaces and every building he owns has offers on the bulletin board looking to buy another space.

It will be interesting to see what amount of parking gets proposed for this project. 105 units would mean anywhere from 168-189 spaces for this building, plus whatever he intends to build for Sexton. I assume he is not building 1 space for every unit in Sexton, but rather a limited number of stalls for sale.
When I looked at a place in Sexton the Realtor said there is contract parking available for tenants in the Centre Village ramp. Obviously people would rather have heated and closer parking.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 28th, 2014, 4:39 pm

I'd have to imagine a Studio/one bedroom would be one space and a two bedroom two spaces. Can't see all one bedrooms needing 2 parking spaces. Some one bedroom with couples may need. But many singles would not need. I'd say this would hold true for both developments. That is why the extra point what ever extra for the couples.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 28th, 2014, 4:51 pm

So the question is will he ask for a variance in the parking ratio above 1.6 ? He may have a better argument since he will lease or sell spaces to The Sexton next door. You know, I wish the city could negotiate with Stanton for increased parking ratio if he improves the look of his projects ( i.e better street frontage, better massing, context, etc.). The city frequently seems almost impotent in preventing poor or barely medicore urban design.