Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
capertown
Block E

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby capertown » February 12th, 2016, 2:16 pm

Comparing the two designs, I think the poured concrete designs give Nicollet a more youthful and modern look. The paver though beautiful and lux, gave Nicollet a more stodgy or upper crust feel.

sanguinic
Metrodome

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby sanguinic » February 15th, 2016, 4:41 pm

The Nicollet Mall thread is locked, so I'll post this here, a handy set of Pavergate before/after images from James Corner, via MinnPost:

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-polic ... -redesigns

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » February 15th, 2016, 9:47 pm

Comparing the two designs, I think the poured concrete designs give Nicollet a more youthful and modern look. The paver though beautiful and lux, gave Nicollet a more stodgy or upper crust feel.
I feel like a more modern paver could achieve elegance without the stodginess. The Alameda Park renovation in Mexico City is practically defined by the style of the paver and it's beautiful and proletarian at the same time. The cast-in-place just looks like every other part of downtown.. just newer.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 10th, 2016, 11:17 am

Went by Nicollet Mall on the bus this morning and it looked like they were installing asphalt by the WCCO building.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 10th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Asphalt is the go-to temporary pavement. Easy to put down and take up.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 11th, 2016, 8:04 am

At this point everything on the mall is replacing sewer and water, communication lines, Internet and tv cables, or your basic infrastructure. So you are seeing a lot of patches of that beautiful "Premium Asphalt" in with the granite pavers. Streets, sidewalks will be tore up and replaced once the below ground stuff is done. With them starting next to the Library, and working their way south, they still will have a few more weeks/months to get down to Grant street. Allow until the city makes their finally determination on what the F**K the are doing with the Mall. We end up with what looks like a street in a 3rd world country. While it is all temporary, as we have seen on such a big and long project, we get to have to put up with the ugly part before the new get built up for us. sorry to say some sections will be ugly for many month, before their transformation. It will happen,
I was around and watched the last mall reconstruction a few decades ago.

Also remember that this will be done in sections to keep the disruption to a minimum, if that can really be done. But it is basically the same thing as when they rebuilt University Ave for the green line. They did sections of blocks at a time so businesses would not have to endure long delays and hardship due to the construction going on around them.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 11th, 2016, 3:35 pm

They're also putting in a transit tunnel underneath, correct?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 11th, 2016, 3:55 pm

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 11th, 2016, 5:05 pm

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 14th, 2016, 1:52 pm

Is there a reason why the streets crossing Nicollet won't tighten dramatically as they cross Nicollet Mall? The cross streets are generally 54' curb to curb, since there are no bumpouts. This width is generally the parking/loading lanes on each side, which is obviously dead space at an intersection. Bumpouts are necessary. These cross streets should be narrowed to about 35' curb-to-curb crossing Nicollet, 3 10' lanes plus a bike lane.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 14th, 2016, 2:36 pm

Per the latest presentation, it would appear that they are in fact planning bumpouts. Probably not down to 35', though.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » March 14th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Whats with the picturess?

SamHartmen

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby SamHartmen » March 18th, 2016, 5:48 pm

Hi, I'm new but I just wanted to write here that I think this project used to be something that was going to really change Nicollet mall but it seems to have been a bait and switch. No more pavers, no plan of a street car, and residents are still expected to pony up for the cost. Does anybody know if there is any way to voice your opinion and try to stop this project that has gone off the cliff? Or is it too late?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 18th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Sam I'm afraid that the train has taken off on it's trip off the cliff. Hate to agree with you, but I felt the same way looking down Nicollet from Washington today. Some people need to be canned for the incompetent jobs they did at planning and budgeting things. There is a difference between being $300,000 off and $30 million off when you are guesstimating. Someone did not do the number crunching or should not have been allowed to ever do number crunching again. That difference is ridiculous. Not sure if it is the city or the designer who screwed those number up that badly. But if it was the design team, then they should be sued for incompetence.

Grant, you were not the only one that woke up on the wrong side of things today.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 18th, 2016, 6:58 pm

Welcome to the forum, Sam! I moved your post to the thread about the Mall project, since that's what you're talking about.

Honestly, it is too late to stop the Nicollet Mall reconstruction. They aren't going to leave it in the patchwork state it's in now, what with the Superb Owl coming to town. I'm still hopeful that the streetcar might be morphed into an aBRT, as the evidence keeps mounting that mixed-traffic streetcars (in the US, at least) are never worth the money spent on them.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » June 3rd, 2016, 8:52 am

Based on the Nicollet Mall Construction update email I got just now it looks like prep work will begin next week between Grant and 12th streets.
The primary contractor for the reconstruction of the roadway and sidewalks on the Nicollet Mall has been hired (Meyer Construction) and will begin his mobilization to the job site on the week of June 6th. Initially this will consist of providing barricades for traffic and pedestrian control and delivery of material and equipment to the job site. Actual street and sidewalk removal will then begin in the Grant to 12th Street area during the next week.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 3rd, 2016, 10:21 am

Yay!

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » June 3rd, 2016, 4:27 pm

Is there actually a block of two that is done enough to get a sense of the look of the pavers?

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » June 3rd, 2016, 5:32 pm

Nope, this is the first construction area to start.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 20th, 2016, 9:55 am

Granite! Granite! Get your Nicollet Mall Granite right here!
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/m ... 38196.html

Soon to go the way of the streetcar, to be replaced by stamped concrete! Modern improvements!