Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Aville_37
Union Depot

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby Aville_37 » May 29th, 2014, 9:14 pm

I just sent an email requesting that any future redesign/rebuild of Nicollet Mall reincorporate the loon water fountain, the granite sculptures in front of U.S. Bank, the clock by Peavy and the benches/seats recently re-installed across from the library.

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » May 29th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Agree that 2nd and Marquette are designed for the rush hour traffic pattern, but don't accommodate pedestrians optimally, especially not on a nice day at lunch. The extra bus passing lane seems unnecessary during non-rush hour, and the outer lane going the other direction is used for parking cars & food trucks. Seems like there must be a better way to use all this space - perhaps convert the cur bide bus lane to a food truck lane to allow for food truck parking & temporary seating on that lane during lunch?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 29th, 2014, 9:19 pm

The wide sidewalks/immediate sitting/eating areas on Nicollet is the big draw to me. But I also like having trucks lining both sides of the street. Especially since the east side of Marquette is always in the shade. I wonder what the reasoning behind limiting the bus lane parking to one vendor per block is?
Towns!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 29th, 2014, 9:40 pm

I just sent an email requesting that any future redesign/rebuild of Nicollet Mall reincorporate the loon water fountain, the granite sculptures in front of U.S. Bank, the clock by Peavy and the benches/seats recently re-installed across from the library.
These are wonderful assets to the mall both current and future. The clock by Peavey Plaza is from the original design and is a really good example of kinetic sculpture from the 1960's ( it does need to be fixed). The response at the recent Hyatt meeting from the powers that be were they were going to "evaluate" ( :roll: ) the old sculptures and fountains for the renovated mall to see if they fit. It would be a crime and huge waste of money if they didn't incorporate them into the project.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 30th, 2014, 6:10 am

if not reused on Nicollet they could be used as hand me downs to beautify other streets in the city too... spread the love.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 30th, 2014, 7:42 am

The thought came to my mind about how great it could be if they could close Nicollet Mall to buses/taxis from 10-2 on these days and move the food trucks over. Make it a true pedestrian mall and the GO TO spot downtown and make it very enjoyable for everyone. I saw many people frustrated by the crowds.
Incompatible with the Streetcar they're talking about; you can't redirect that.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 30th, 2014, 8:06 am

if not reused on Nicollet they could be used as hand me downs to beautify other streets in the city too... spread the love.
The Peavey Plaza clock could be put in the Crystal Court to give it a safer permanent home, and give it a nice visible space to remain part of the community and Nicollet Mall.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 30th, 2014, 9:48 am

The thought came to my mind about how great it could be if they could close Nicollet Mall to buses/taxis from 10-2 on these days and move the food trucks over. Make it a true pedestrian mall and the GO TO spot downtown and make it very enjoyable for everyone. I saw many people frustrated by the crowds.
Incompatible with the Streetcar they're talking about; you can't redirect that.
All the more reason to tunnel that sucker right now. We should have an equivalent to the Seattle Transit Tunnel under Nicollet Mall.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 30th, 2014, 9:55 am

Agreed!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 30th, 2014, 10:32 am

Agreed, naturally. It would probably double or triple the price, right?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 30th, 2014, 10:58 am

Much much more than double or triple. If there's one constant on this board, it's the painful over-use of Strong Towns buzzwords. If there's another, it's grossly underestimating the cost of tunneling.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 30th, 2014, 10:59 am

Just to be clear, I think it would be great to tunnel this and I think it would make a lot of sense. It's just going to be much more expensive than you think it is.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 12th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Mayor will propose extra $3.5 million for Nicollet Mall
June 12, 2014
http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/262927221.html

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 12th, 2014, 2:42 pm

That's enough to tunnel like a fifth of a block!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 12th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Man, $50M for a mile of road had better include utility relocation in preparation for the streetcar.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 12th, 2014, 4:00 pm

If the mall reconstruction is not done with the streetcar line, it wil be a huge waste of money. How far are we on the streetcar line? Seems like nothing has happened in a long time.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 12th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Can they just put the rails in the street like DC did with H street?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 12th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Edit: I retract my comment on the streetcars. I said I'd rather they be underground almost like a subway, but if they plan on not having buses then it should stay above.
That idealistic, bright sunny picture doesn't show the malodorous latrine-&-diesel grime which has been the most marked characteristic of Nicollet Mall since its early days.
^^^ Favorite comment from the Strib article by the way

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 13th, 2014, 8:20 am

Too many big words for me.....woulda been fine with "Nicollet Ave is yucky ick".

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 13th, 2014, 9:33 am

That idealistic, bright sunny picture doesn't show the malodorous latrine-&-diesel grime which has been the most marked characteristic of Nicollet Mall since its early days.
^^^ Favorite comment from the Strib article by the way
It amazes me at how clueless most people are at how nice Nicollet Mall is compared to a lot of other main corridors in major cities. This idea that somehow the overwhelming electric buses on Nicollet are belching out diesel grime or that the very few homeless people who might urinate in the nooks along the sidewalks somehow make the mall a latrine is simply absurd. I encourage those people to visit San Francisco or Portland if they'd like to witness malodorous latrines. Or visit most any other major metro (without rail) and see diesel grime city streets. I can't help but shake my head at people who think our downtown spine is some horrid place. :roll: